chasmmi

The OFFICIAL BOT Top 100 Foreign Films of all Time Ever List Begins...

80th: Wild Strawberries - Sweden (1957)

1 First Place

90 pts 

Assumed Plot: So here we have a Swedish film about strawberries... So I am going to plump for this being a film about sex. Sweden is known for being a sexually open society and Strawberries are the fruit of virgins and awakening. Now wild suggests we are talking about a group of people that are together awakening to feelings and wants that they had not fallen prey to before, maybe there is an outside force to enters the circle of friends and a sexual awakening begins. Either way, that is what this is: A Swedish Sexual Coming of Age Drama. 

Well I think  the youngest man in that clip is about 52, so I was maybe a tad off with the sexiness. 

Not Ingrid received a lot of love in this list (possibly even the most different films from a single directer on the full master list).  How many of them make it into the top 100 is going to be the difference between Sweden having decent representation on this list, or giving France and Italy a run for their money. 

Currently, Sweden's contribution stands at Some old men and a teenage vampire girl. 

From Amazon user,  Elvin Ortiz

Seventy-eight year old Isak Borg journeys on his way to receive an honorary degree for his professional work. He travels in his own car accompanied by his daughter-in-law. Also he is joined by a young trio composed by two men and a woman. Throughout the film, Isak struggles with fears of loneliness and the possibility that his life has been a waste. He suffers a dream with surrealistic characteristics, where his own death in life is illustrated thru the use of handless clocks, empty streets, ruins, and faceless bodies. Through the journey we also discover his strenuous relationships with his son, daughter-in-law, and with his wife. He has dreams and reminiscences of the past that communicate to us the things that really have meaning in life. Basically, it is the tale of a person who has succeeded as a professional, but has failed as father and husband, and he discovers at the end that the price to pay for this negligence is loneliness. Isak, however, does not want to remain alone and makes attempts to amend for this hollow past.

The film shows surrealistic images to dramatize Isak's existential crisis. It also contrasts an idyllic (pastoral) past with a modern middle-class life. We also get to see the lack of faith and hope in Isak and his son's life. The distinction between middle-class culture and the innocence of a rural, agrarian society can be seen in the rivalry between Isak, concerned about sin and doing the right thing, and his brother, who is passionate and incorrigible. Sara, Isak's love, stands between the two. Sara marries Isak's brother and leads a fruitful life having many children. On the other hand, Isak has been the head of a dysfunctional family. Thus, Isak must confront this past in his present struggle to find meaning in his life.

Films by Nation

5 - France

4 - Bollywood

2 - Italy

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - South Korea

1 - Japan

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

82nd: Sholay - India (1975)

1 top 5

88 pts 

Assumed Plot: Sholay, Sholay, Sholay, Sholaaayy,... wait that's Jolene.  Okay so Sholay is a Classic Bollywood film, to some arguably the most famous and greatest ever. Therefore I am assuming it stars Amitabh Bachchan and at least 2 Khans (not the current Khans, I just kind of assume that Bollywood always has an army of Khans waiting to be deployed.) 

As it is 70s Bollywood, I am also gonna plump for this film having the triple love triangle with 3 heroes, 3 girls and 3 villains looking to be all villainous. I Sholay our heroes must protect the village planet town from the evil mobster overlords that threaten to ruin all of their hopes and dreams... with songs. 

*chuckle* this song title sounds like My Boobies.

OKay, I was able to glean like next to no information from that. But I did see an angry man with a giant moustache briefly, so there is one clear villain of the story right there. This film falls about 25 years in the middle of all the Bollywood stuff I have seen so is a bit happier and more colorful than a Mother India, but also much smaller scale than the Shah Rukh era. 

This does give India two film entries in a row though and solidifies their 2nd place on the films by nation list, now only one below France at the top. (It would be level if I had decided that the Mario and Luigi film was Italian). I am a big fan of the Indian cinema that I have seen, but I must say I was not expecting it to be doing the heavy lifting for Asian cinema in these early positions. 

From Amazon user,  Atlantan

Copy of Kurosawa and american western movies which created a sterotype "daaku" in hindi cinema who was always on horses, speaking a certain dialect. This is iconic indian-hindi movie that everyone grew up with and has top of the hindi cinema star cast and ensemble movie where every character is well developed, every dialogue became cult, Gabbar became the most recognized villain in hindi cinema of all times, veru-jai friendship, the humor, the coin toss. #nostalgia

Films by Nation

5 - France

4 - Bollywood

2 - Italy

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Sweden

1 - Germany

1 - South Korea

Ok, so this is Star Wars equivalent box office success in India, just bigger. or if you will prefer Gone With the Wind.

Till 1975, Bollywood was mostly filled with social dramas, this coming as first 70mm film, action drama with said to be greatest cast ever assembled.

It is among the first films I watched, had a DVD at home. Loved it back then and still hold well. Characters of this film are well known across India and the most simple dialogues are part of popular culture. One such is "Itna Sannata Kyun Hai Bhai?", literally means why there is so much silence?

Another, "Kitne Aadmi they", Tera Kya Hoga Kaliya. One of my favourite

"jab raat ko bachcha rota hai, toh uski maa kehti hai soja beta soja, warna Gabbar aa jayeg"

Meaning, "when a kid cries in night, his mother mums him, saying "go sleep my son, else Gabbar will come"

@baumer will love it. @Plain Old Tele too.

This film sold 250mn tickets in India, grossed $90mn, was among top 10 biggest grossers till 2005.

Also huge hit in USSR with 65mn tickets. Basically sold way more tickets than Star Wars, Jaw and E.T. worldwide.

And I am ashamed of also missing this in my Top list. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

79th: La Cages aux Folles - France (1978)

1 Top 5

90 pts 

Assumed Plot: Ok, so Swedish Strawberries was not about sex, but I am gonna take another punt here. The Cage of Crazy... that sounds pretty carnal to me. The story of a girl fighting a battle against her sexuality and slowly losing the fight as she gives in to the temptations around her and societal opinion be damned. This film follows the literal and figurative uncaging of a young woman as she learns about the world for the first time. 

I swear to God, if this turns out to be a super serious Holocaust film or something....

Trailers were weird in the 70s. 

So we have another Franco-Italian collaboration that will be awarded to the French. This film is... I mean, was I close? I feel like I was almost close. At least close on a scale that includes The Hunt being a Troll hunting film, and Persepolis being some eco-warrior Japanese anime,

This film also pulls France clear of the chasing pack once more and they are starting to look good for the prize of most films on the list as they currently have over 25% of the entries revealed so far. Also I came across a trailer for a film called the Birdcage while researching this. That looked fun in an 'It may also have aged really badly' kind of way.

From Amazon user,  Schuman_bg

La Cage aux Folles is a bighearted film, generous in tone even if it does use clichés and is written from outside the gay lifestyle it shows. But it can get away with this because of the way it is pitched as a farce, unlike, say, Outrageous!, which deals with somewhat similar themes but has more serious undercurrents as well. It has a very funny set piece when the politician and his wife, very proper and straight-laced, go to dinner with the parents of their daughter's fiancé, and Albin (Michel Serrault) surprises everyone by trying to pass himself off as the mother. It is a brilliant scene, the best you could possibly hope to see in the genre. Albin trying to butter a biscotte without getting hysterical when it flies out of his hand is also quite inimitable. It would normally be more obvious, but here it has some special quality. The way the central couple are shown to be loving in spite of evident frustrations (Ugo Tognazzi makes an excellent, more restrained foil), and the way the son seems to have turned out such a kind, tolerant individual, place the film way ahead of its time in political terms, even if this wasn't the main point in making it. But you feel the director Edouard Molinaro's heart must have been in the right place, as was Serrault's. The sequel (not in this box) is a bit less successful, lacking the obvious rightness of the plot of the original film, but I love it too. It has one or two moments of delirious comedy and repeated viewing pushes it close to the first. They show you the value of being able to laugh at silly goings-on. Both Molinaro and Serrault are dead now, but they go on giving much pleasure in these two life-affirming films.

Films by Nation

6 - France

4 - Bollywood

2 - Italy

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - South Korea

1 - Japan

• Like 9

4 hours ago, chasmmi said:

82nd: Sholay - India (1975)

1 top 5

88 pts 

Assumed Plot: Sholay, Sholay, Sholay, Sholaaayy,... wait that's Jolene.  Okay so Sholay is a Classic Bollywood film, to some arguably the most famous and greatest ever. Therefore I am assuming it stars Amitabh Bachchan and at least 2 Khans (not the current Khans, I just kind of assume that Bollywood always has an army of Khans waiting to be deployed.) 

As it is 70s Bollywood, I am also gonna plump for this film having the triple love triangle with 3 heroes, 3 girls and 3 villains looking to be all villainous. I Sholay our heroes must protect the village planet town from the evil mobster overlords that threaten to ruin all of their hopes and dreams... with songs. 

*chuckle* this song title sounds like My Boobies.

OKay, I was able to glean like next to no information from that. But I did see an angry man with a giant moustache briefly, so there is one clear villain of the story right there. This film falls about 25 years in the middle of all the Bollywood stuff I have seen so is a bit happier and more colorful than a Mother India, but also much smaller scale than the Shah Rukh era. 

This does give India two film entries in a row though and solidifies their 2nd place on the films by nation list, now only one below France at the top. (It would be level if I had decided that the Mario and Luigi film was Italian). I am a big fan of the Indian cinema that I have seen, but I must say I was not expecting it to be doing the heavy lifting for Asian cinema in these early positions. 

From Amazon user,  Atlantan

Copy of Kurosawa and american western movies which created a sterotype "daaku" in hindi cinema who was always on horses, speaking a certain dialect. This is iconic indian-hindi movie that everyone grew up with and has top of the hindi cinema star cast and ensemble movie where every character is well developed, every dialogue became cult, Gabbar became the most recognized villain in hindi cinema of all times, veru-jai friendship, the humor, the coin toss. #nostalgia

Films by Nation

5 - France

4 - Bollywood

2 - Italy

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Sweden

1 - Germany

1 - South Korea

Sholay is Sholay, every Indian director wants to make their Sholay when they start - a movie which stands the test of time and is loved by every Indian and becomes a part of everyday life. As @charlie Jatinder said, the quotes from Sholay are used in everyday life by people, every dialogue of the movie is ingrained in people, and when actors from the movie pass away their obituary leads with "Actor X, who played Y in Sholay passed away".

And it also has probably the most famous villain in all of Bollywood history, Gabbar Singh would easily top a list of Bollywood's villains by a mile. It's a credit to Amjad Khan's debut performance for sure.

There's a great book about the making of Sholay which I would highly recommend as well. It goes into the making and the release and the hysteria the movie generated.

I remember watching it when it premiered on Cable TV in the late 90s, it was an event, people planned their day around getting to watch Sholay when it premiered.

• Like 1

78th: A Man Escaped - France (1956)

90 pts (more votes) 

Assumed Plot: So, do I take the bait and guess the obvious that this is a film about a man that has escaped. Is this a French Escape from Alcatraz? No, I am not falling for that. This is instead a film about a man escaping the chains of repression. It is the story of a man who is discovering the world as it is for the first time and as he learns of the pain a suffering of the lower classes that exist outside of the bubble in which he grew up, he also learns to love a young, but caring Parisian streetwalker with a heart of gold. 

Of course the film titled around escaping was about bloody escaping. 

This is the second black and white French film centred around escaping a German War prison to make this list. It may need its own category if this keeps up.  As this list is now gospel, this film is officially 9% better than the grand illusion (although I will say from a person feel, Man Escaped seems a little more serious and dour than Illusion and thus a little less likely to be for me). 

This also allows France to surge further into the lead after the brief Indian rally. It's almost like they have a lot more decades of cinema to draw from than many other film regions.... 

From Amazon user,  KG

A prison escape film that is pure Bresson. Spare, deliberately paced, avoiding all the usual tricks of the cinema to heighten suspense (music, flashy editing), yet it feels so real and honest in it’s understated way, that the tension at times can be almost unbearable.

A captured French resistance fighter in WW II awaits execution at the hands of the Nazi’s afraid, confused (this is no Hollywood hero, but a real human) he nevertheless contrives to find a way to escape before he is put to death. We watch him plan and prepare, slowly, methodically, as one would have to do, and yet with a ticking clock always bringing him closer to doom.

Beautifully and simply shot, with strong performances (Bresson’s penchant for nonprofessional actors meant that on occasion his work can be hindered by a weak performance, but that’s not the case here). More accessible than some of Bresson’s work for being less metaphorical, this might be a good place to start for someone interested in first sampling the work of this great French film-maker. I look forward to seeing it again.

Films by Nation

7 - France

4 - Bollywood

2 - Italy

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - South Korea

1 - Japan

• Like 7

77th: Yojimbo - Japan (1961)

90 pts (more votes) 

Assumed Plot: Not a cry often heard said by Nelson in the Springfield Elementary playground, this is in fact an epic tale centred around Shogun Japan. In this time, the way of the Samurai was sacred and anyone who sought to break said code was met with dishonour and ostracisation. When one young Samurai student is wrongfully accused of breaking the code and being cast out of his clan, cursed to wander the Japanese mountainsides as a lowly Ronin, forces collide that see him have to return to the society that threw him out, face his past, and seek redemption. (There are a lot of Japanese keywords in there, and if I am lucky, at least a couple are relevant to each other.)     

oooh... I am going to also take a punt on this being a black and white Kurosawa film because why not.

I think that is a top five best prediction from me so far...

Japan hits again with it's first live action film and second entry overall. Unsurprisingly it is with an Akira Kurosawa film and with a film that felt like it was going to score a lot higher in this list than it eventually did. Admittedly, one can argue that this is not even the best Japanese Samurai film directed by Kurosawa, let alone an all time best foreign language film outright, but that would be an unfair statement to make. 

In time, we shall see if there are more than two more live action Japanese films left to come (and god forbid, possibly even one that is in colour.)

From Amazon user,  Elvin Oritz (I feel like I have used this guy before)

First time I've seen this film and I loved it. It is quite dark about human nature, unlike The Seven Samurai, Rashomon, and The Hidden Fortress. It is more graphically violent than these previous film, but not intolerably so. It is a story of how a samurai successfully pits two groups of gangsters in a small town who have been quarreling against each other already. The samurai, who resembles a drifter in an American western (e.g., Shane or The Searchers), once arrives to the town concocts his plan to destroy these rivaling gangs to give the town a new beginning. It is a film that has influences from American films and has also influenced other American films, particularly Sergio Leone's Man with no Name saga.

Films by Nation

7 - France

4 - Bollywood

2 - Italy

2 - Sweden

2 - Japan

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - South Korea

• Like 7

76th: Amarcord - Italy (1973)

1 top 5

92 pts (more votes) 

Assumed Plot: Now I thought this was an old Spielberg film. So Amarcord..., maybe that is a place name? Maybe a place where a battle took place? Sure let's go with that, this is a French war film that centres around the harrowing events that went down in Amarcord. It is a story or survival, hardship, and a will to survive.

Italian. It was an Italian film.

Despite the fact that about 10 percent of that trailers runtime was close up shots of ladies bottoms on bicycles, I will say that this is a film that does not feel like it was made for me. I await in anticipation see this bit of the post quoted as it is explained to me why the film is genius and I am a no good, neanderthal. 

What is not in dispute is that this is Italy's 3rd film on the list, sending them clear of Sweden and Japan into 3rd place on their own. I was personally expecting Italy and France to be much closer than they currently are, but who knows, maybe the infinite well of French world war prison escape films has now dried up. 

From Amazon user,  Sam Shrader

Fabulous film of Fellini's peak. An absolute riot of characters color and sound and music . I waited a very very long time to get a good copy of this film. I think this is one of the very finest films ever shot And one of the finest restorations I have ever seen! It is absolutely breathtaking on so many levels. If you think it's expensive you're dead wrong. I have searched hi and lo for copies of this and 8 1/2 Fellini film, finally got 8 1/2 recently used in DVD in Austin and it was $19 . It was such a hot item the clerks had to remove the discs from the jacket . So when I told them the film discs were missing they produced them. Fellini is great great great and Armacord is the best I have seen maybe but there is 8 1/2 which is simply an enduring super classic in b& w.
I am so grateful to have the opportunity to write this blu ray review-- finally got a masterfully crafted restoration in state of the art format in this 1973 hard to find film.

Films by Nation

7 - France

4 - Bollywood

3 - Italy

2 - Sweden

2 - Japan

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - South Korea

• Like 5

75th: Mother - Korea (2010)

92 pts (more votes) 

Assumed Plot: And finally we are back in familiar ground as I can actually talk about a film I know by famed director Bong Joon Ho. It is the classic, the world renowned... oh shit, Mother is the one Bong film that I Haven't seen. (Well I also never saw Barking Dogs Never Bite, but as that never got a single vote, I can pretend I saw that one with impunity). 

So Mother is the story of a 40 year old virgin who still lives with his mother. She controls his life, she micromanages everything about him to the point where he both cannot survive without her, but also cannot stand her. One moment comes and enough is enough, Mother needs to die if he is to truly live. This is a genre bending Korean thriller that is half Psycho, half Misery. 

Ok, looks like I got that a little back to front with a hint of sideways.

Mother has a lot of fans and certainly looks more enjoyable than Mother with an Exclamation Mark. It can be argued that it is the lesser masterpiece of the Bong Korean Collection, but that can also be a bit like saying Titanic is the lesser James Cameron film. Unless you are @Plain Old Tele this doesn't necessarily devalue Titanic, but instead elevates the continuous level of quality that keeps that film company. 

That being said, Mother did manage to beat The Host, which we have already seen, and who knows what other films may have also failed to make the cut of the top 100. Either way, that is now two for Korea and two for Bong. 

From Amazon user,  Blake Dawson

I've known about this film for awhile but hadn't took the plunge to see it until recently. I'm so glad I did though! The story is very well written with compelling dialogue that is accompanied by brilliant acting. The directing, sound mixing, and editing is a perfect blend that should appeal to all moviegoers interested in the genre. After watching the film, I couldn't wait to add it to my top film collection. Definitely check this out if you enjoy films such as The Man From Nowhere and Oldboy.

Films by Nation

7 - France

4 - Bollywood

3 - Italy

2 - Sweden

2 - Japan

2 - South Korea

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

• Like 9
  • Astonished 2

So we are 25% of the way into the list (This may be the fastest list I have ever done!!) and I am going to do a couple of side posts now on stuff that may or may not be interesting. 

First up, let's compare a couple of country's all time best attended lists with how those films did on our list.

First Up South Korea...

South Korea Top 5 All Time Admissions List:

1st - The Admiral: Roaring Currents 537th place

The All time record holder in Korea that sold tickets equal to 1/3rd of the countries entire population (so akin to a film making about $990M Domestic), and the only vote it got was mine. That being said, it's a very Korean film for Koreans type movie as it is the story of a national hero that is not so well known outside of Korea (unless you are a Navy buff and then you should know that this dude was the single best war admiral of all time). 

2nd - Extreme Job No Votes

Not a single vote for the Korean undercover Cops in a Fried Chicken bar comedy!!! For shame on all of us!

3rd - Along with the Gods No Votes

Also a vote-less wonder, albeit this time for probably the most lacking in substance, high in popcorn thrills film in the Korean top 10.

4th - Ode to my Father No Votes

Probably the best film in the top 5, and the most emotionally driven. It is kind of a Korean Forrest Gump (in how it goes through events in the years). It is a down to Earth drama in the opposite mold of Along With the Gods. 

5th - Veteran No Votes

And there we have it, the top 5 most attended films have essentially zero votes from non-me members of the forum. And it isn't as if Korean cinema is lacking in support right now, so it does seem that despite the great Korean films doing very well for themselves, they are not breaking records anymore.

Fun Fact 1: Only about 3 of the top 40 all time have challenged the top 100. 

Fin Fact 2:  Despite that, there are still two Korean films in the top 100 that broke the all time admissions record upon their release. 

Not a single vote for the Korean undercover Cops in a Fried Chicken bar comedy!!! For shame on all of us!

• Like 7

France Top 5 All Time Admissions List:

1st - Welcome to the Sticks No Votes

I have never heard of this, and it is possible I am not the only one as a 12 year old film watched by all the French people, manages to not even receive a 'Oh yeah, I saw that one' vote. 

2nd - The Intouchables Top 200

If something made the top 200 on one of these, I will not reveal how well it did as that ruins the suspense if I say something like: "Oh Yeah the Untouchables, look out for that one coming up in 62nd place or whatever. 

3rd - La Grand Vadrouille No Votes

France's Escape to Victory has been snubbed here, just like America's Escape to Victory was snubbed on @The Panda's countdown. 

4th - Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra 643rd

No this isn't police Academy 7, but instead a 'Classic?' Asterix film. Not classic enough sadly. In fact three Asterix films received votes, but none could crack even the top 400.

5th - Les Visiteurs Top 200

A massively successful French Time Travel comedy starring Christian Clavier and Jean Reno that was so successful it spawned a Hollywood remake starring Christian Clavier and ummm Jean Reno. 

• Like 7

Hindi Top 5 All Time Worldwide gross List:

(I am deliberately avoiding bringing up the non-Hindi ones right now ;) ) 

1st - Dangal Top 200

It feels odd that the top film is not one involving Amitabh or Shah Rukh, but Aamir Khan is actually possibly even my favori... no, let's not be silly. he is my second favourite Khan. But still a pretty good Khan all the same. 

2nd - Bhajrangi Bhaijaan 275th

A film starring the most troublesome of the Khans, I am a little surprised he was able to stay this much of a draw in 2015 (Or did  things rehit  the fan after this film came out? Either way, it was not a big hit with our voters and languishes in the lowly high 200s. 

3rd - Secret Superstar No Votes

I clearly missed the memo informing people that Aamir Khan is the new lord high master of Bollywood. This film actually sounds like something I would not mind giving a watch, and possibly even does something a little different with the musical numbers (although also possibly not). 

4th - PK 421st

Wait a sec, PK... Is that the Shah Rukh Kahn is an alien film? No it can't be. What! It is the alien film?! And it wasn't Shah Rukh, but bloody Aamir again! Also, somehow this film had to be rewritten because its plot was too similar to Inception? I am very confused. 

5th - Sultan No Votes

I am not even going to look this one up. It's clearly Aamir Khan produced an Aamir Khan film where the people of India just shower him with money from up high.

Okay, so turns out it was Salman Khan again, and this is the 2nd wrestling film in the top 5, am I getting that right? I am assuming we are talking like traditional wrestling and nobody is about to tell me that I have gone the past 5 years unaware that there are 2 big budget Indian films where people are singing and dancing dressed up like the Macho Man. 

Fun Fact: It's not until 14th place that a Shah Rukh film appears. Chennai Express and it received zero votes.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

France Top 5 All Time Admissions List:

1st - Welcome to the Sticks No Votes

I have never heard of this, and it is possible I am not the only one as a 12 year old film watched by all the French people, manages to not even receive a 'Oh yeah, I saw that one' vote. 

2nd - The Intouchables Top 200

If something made the top 200 on one of these, I will not reveal how well it did as that ruins the suspense if I say something like: "Oh Yeah the Untouchables, look out for that one coming up in 62nd place or whatever. 

3rd - La Grand Vadrouille No Votes

France's Escape to Victory has been snubbed here, just like America's Escape to Victory was snubbed on @The Panda's countdown. 

4th - Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra 643rd

No this isn't police Academy 7, but instead a 'Classic?' Asterix film. Not classic enough sadly. In fact three Asterix films received votes, but none could crack even the top 400.

5th - Les Visiteurs Top 200

A massively successful French Time Travel comedy starring Christian Clavier and Jean Reno that was so successful it spawned a Hollywood remake starring Christian Clavier and ummm Jean Reno. 

Pretty sure you had one vote for the top one....

2 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Hindi Top 5 All Time Worldwide gross List:

(I am deliberately avoiding bringing up the non-Hindi ones right now ;) ) 

1st - Dangal Top 200

It feels odd that the top film is not one involving Amitabh or Shah Rukh, but Aamir Khan is actually possibly even my favori... no, let's not be silly. he is my second favourite Khan. But still a pretty good Khan all the same. 

2nd - Bhajrangi Bhaijaan 275th

A film starring the most troublesome of the Khans, I am a little surprised he was able to stay this much of a draw in 2015 (Or did  things rehit  the fan after this film came out? Either way, it was not a big hit with our voters and languishes in the lowly high 200s. 

3rd - Secret Superstar No Votes

I clearly missed the memo informing people that Aamir Khan is the new lord high master of Bollywood. This film actually sounds like something I would not mind giving a watch, and possibly even does something a little different with the musical numbers (although also possibly not). 

4th - PK 421st

Wait a sec, PK... Is that the Shah Rukh Kahn is an alien film? No it can't be. What! It is the alien film?! And it wasn't Shah Rukh, but bloody Aamir again! Also, somehow this film had to be rewritten because its plot was too similar to Inception? I am very confused. 

5th - Sultan No Votes

I am not even going to look this one up. It's clearly Aamir Khan produced an Aamir Khan film where the people of India just shower him with money from up high.

Okay, so turns out it was Salman Khan again, and this is the 2nd wrestling film in the top 5, am I getting that right? I am assuming we are talking like traditional wrestling and nobody is about to tell me that I have gone the past 5 years unaware that there are 2 big budget Indian films where people are singing and dancing dressed up like the Macho Man. 

Fun Fact: It's not until 14th place that a Shah Rukh film appears. Chennai Express and it received zero votes.

Aamir Khan is big in China, Dangal did 200M in China alone. Secret Superstar and PK were boosted by China as well. Dangal, PK and Bajrangi Bhaijaan will be among the highest domestic grossers as well but China supercharged them.

Bajrangi Bhaijaan was Salman's image rehab movie, and it's really really good. Probably the only Salman Khan movie I can wholeheartedly recommend.

I've no idea if Sultan did well in China, but being in the top 5 just based on India seems hard. Sultan and Dangal are both basically Chak De India but for amateur wrestling.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Aamir Khan is big in China, Dangal did 200M in China alone. Secret Superstar and PK were boosted by China as well. Dangal, PK and Bajrangi Bhaijaan will be among the highest domestic grossers as well but China supercharged them.

Bajrangi Bhaijaan was Salman's image rehab movie, and it's really really good. Probably the only Salman Khan movie I can wholeheartedly recommend.

I've no idea if Sultan did well in China, but being in the top 5 just based on India seems hard. Sultan and Dangal are both basically Chak De India but for amateur wrestling.

Some of his earlier movies, before he started overacting and then super tough hero guy, were good. Movies like Andaz Apna Apna, Maine Pyaar Kiya, Hum Aapke Hai Kaun, Karan Arjun, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, etc. 

Also SRK had most of his biggest hits in 1990 and early 2000’s whereas Aamir and Salman had most of their biggest hits in the late 2000 and 2010 decade which would have given them a huge BO boost. 

I am sure if we compare tickets sold/inflation adjusted BO for Indian markets alone, some of SRK’s biggest hits (like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai) would be up in there amongst the top. Perhaps @charlie Jatinder has some idea. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I am sure if we compare tickets sold/inflation adjusted BO for Indian markets alone, some of SRK’s biggest hits (like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai) would be up in there amongst the top. Perhaps @charlie Jatinder has some idea. 

I remember Mai Hoon Na, where he seems to literally play the Steve Buscemi "Hello Fellow Kids' character

It really hurt as an SRKian to have no SRK film in Top 10, first time since 1995 but he is responsible for that with shitty films.

@ZeeSoh in admits only DDLJ will have slight chance of making to Top 10.

PK at 421 and Bajrangi Bhaijaan at 275th. Dangal only making Top 200 (that doesn't sound right) I was thinking, ohh what a shitty performance it's gonna be from India and more surprising that India already has 4 films and is on number 2. Woah.

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It really hurt as an SRKian to have no SRK film in Top 10, first time since 1995 but he is responsible for that with shitty films.

@ZeeSoh in admits only DDLJ will have slight chance of making to Top 10.

PK at 421 and Bajrangi Bhaijaan at 275th. Dangal only making Top 200 (that doesn't sound right) I was thinking, ohh what a shitty performance it's gonna be from India and more surprising that India already has 4 films and is on number 2. Woah.

I should clarify, when I say top 200, it means I do not want to divulge whether it made the list or not. So Dangal being top 200 means it could be 4th or it could be 194th. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1