chasmmi

The OFFICIAL BOT Top 100 Foreign Films of all Time Ever List Begins...

65th: Incendies - Canada (2010)

0 Top 10,

98 pts  

Assumed Plot: I was not expecting North America to feature on this countdown, but that is because I, like most people on this planet, forgot that Canada was a thing, especially Quebec. So what about a plot...

That is a very fiery sounding title so I am thinking either firefighters or arsonists. Let's go with... arsonists. This is a dark drama about a group of arsonists that at first are a bunch of kids looking for a little anarchy, but when one of the abandoned buildings turns out to be occupied, the film transforms into a tail of tragedy, violence, and how different people come to terms with what they have done. 

Ok there was no fire at all, not even a cigarette which I thought was unheard of in a film that is in French.

Every time India looks like it may get close, France comes along and ... oh wait Canada, it's Canada. I need to remember that because I am well aware that Montreal doesn't take getting screwed lightly. This film also looks pretty good, and it had a lot of support from voters. Nobdoy had it as a best film ever candidate, but many thought it deserved recognition. 

Although 4 other Canadian films received votes, this was the only one to receive more than one and thus the only one to even come close to the top 100. 

From Amazon user,  Rakesh

Incendies ("Scorched") is a dark, powerful and haunting thriller-drama from Canadian director Denis Villeneuve. I will leave the plot line out for the benefit of the audience. The film is in French/Arabic, so English viewers will have to go by the sub-titles.

The film shares it's secrets in layers - when you've watched one layer and think you've seen it all, you're presented with another that is far more complex and visceral than the previous one and so on and so forth until the film explodes in a shattering climax that will leave you reeling. I remember being stunned as the credits rolled and being speechless for minutes. I decided to own the DVD because I haven't watched such a great thriller in years.

The direction and cinematography is a work of art. The acting is excellent and Lubna Azabal is phenomenal.

Finally, this film is not for everyone but if you're an open minded movie lover who doesn't mind being taken on a new journey, then Incendies is a ride you will never forget.

Thank you Denis for making this film.

Films by Nation

9 - France

6 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1

64th: Amour - Austria (2010)

1 Top 10,

99 pts  

Assumed Plot: I need a second to double check if this film is French or Belgian, but regardless, this is not a film that I have seen, but it is a film that I know the plot of (and chose not to watch as I did not feel up to dealing with that story at the time). 

It also means that I don't wish to make a silly plot prediction here as I would be doing so with total knowledge of what actually goes down and that is not a theme I want to make light of.

I think this is definitely a film that you watch once, think is fantastic, and then never want to ever watch again. 

Also, it turns out this one the Oscar for Austria so there we go, it's an Austrian film that is in French., I never knew that. I personally thought that this was going to challenge near the top of the French language choices on this list as I remember it getting all the praise at the time. Maybe it isn't quite old enough to be a classic and too old to have recency bias? Or it just hasn't aged as well as it was expected to.

Either way, this allows Austria to debut on the list and as I am really hoping that goodnight Mommy never got close to the top 100, this might be Austria's one big hurrah in the top 100.

From Amazon user,  Allan M Lees

Some people watch movies to escape from real life. Some watch in order to live vicariously. Some people want movies to confirm their ideas about love, good triumphing over evil, and all the rest of the clichés we're subjected to when we're children.

And some people watch movies because they appreciate, even though it is a rare thing, a tale told truthfully without varnish, deception, or avoidance.

Amour falls squarely into the latter category of marvels. Other reviewers have summarized the plot. It is enough to say that this is a deeply engrossing movie precisely because it deals with something we all must face eventually: our final moments. People always hope they will die "a good death" - the Hollywood fantasy of a painless exit surrounded by one's family and friends, with suitable theme music playing in the background and a magical fairyland waiting in the sky as the credits roll. In reality most people die in hospital beds, alone and afraid and confused, with tubes sticking into them and bedsores festering and indifferent exhausted nurses passing heedless as a desperate effort is made to inhale one very last breath...

Films by Nation

9 - France

6 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

• Like 8

63rd: Chak De India - India (2007)

1 Top 5,

100 pts  

Assumed Plot: I was burned before by an Indian film using a cheeky 'de' in its title to make me think French speaking locales were involved. There I am taking a completely leftfield take on this one. 

Chak sounds a little bit like Clive, almost like it could be a condescending pet name for Clive. So this is going to be a kind of comic-tragedy about a man who has a breakdown and starts to believe that he is the reincarnation of Clive of India and thus considers himself the leader of its people. At first people humour him, they mockingly call him Chak De India and he's just dismissed as the neighbourhood crazy guy. 

But as time goes by, things get darker, Chak becomes more aggressive to those around him, he is becoming dangerous, and those that once laughed at him, now fear what he may do both to others and himself. 

Shockingly. I was so wrong it isn't even funny. It's about hockey (real hockey not ice hockey). 

Spoiler alert: this film contains a scene involving an all-women's hockey team in the showers together! So I am going to stick my neck out and guess this is loosely based on a true story, probably at the Olympics. I believe hockey is the 3rd biggest sport in India below cricket and Kabbadi, and possibly just above wrestling and bicycle polo (although they have a couple of billiards plays so good that they basically broke billiards too if I remember). 

THis also brings India up to within two of France and potentially threatening to make a fight of it up at the top. 

From Amazon user,  Bhatta's Reviews

This movie is very good watch. What I really liked about the film was that the women who acted... each one with unique character. They are part of the Indian Hockey team and the movie shows their characters very nicely. They are all actually the main reason the movie is so inspiring. Granted Shah Rukh Khan's role as the coach Kabir Khan does play a very important role but thankfully he does not subdue the characters thereby making the movie more engaging.

Good movie to watch with family. It is one of the best inspiring films of our times. Rating it with five respectable stars!

Films by Nation

9 - France

7 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Chak De India: My first film ever in theater, made me SRK fan. The best sports film ever from India, Lagaan and Dangal have nothing on CDI. Wish it was a bit higher, but I am happy it made it even. 2 SRK films in a day is great.

Also, @chasmmi mentioned about box office toppers. This was a big success in 2007, grossing $23mn in India. If released today, sort of growth and taste of people, would easily do $90mn.

62nd: Intouchables - France (2012)

1 Top 5,

100 pts (Higher top placement) 

Assumed Plot: I know nothing about this film except that the Kevin Hart remake poster has him pushing an old guy in a wheelchair. So therefore this is the story of an old guy that is on his last legs and due to gie away his inheritance soon, and one of the main contenders for said inheritance starts of by trying to butter him up in order to get in good, but as time goes by, he starts to feel actually close to the guy and a proper bond forms. 

Kind of like that Michael J Fox and Kirk Douglas film Greed, but remade in French, and then re-remade back into American with Kevin Hart. 

Okay, that one actually looks pretty wholesome and lovely. 

I remember the box office run of this film, it broke like a bunch of records at the time and was a reasonably big crossover into the subtitle hating English speaking world. There was a long time where this threatened to miss the list completely (that top 5 vote came very late in proceedings) , but it made it quite comfortably in the end.  

And yet again France hits straight back at an Indian charge, to break the 10 film barrier. I think that this point, I can only see India, Japan, probably Italy, and maybe Korea joining them in the 10 film club. 

From Amazon user, Andy Ferris

Saw the trailer online when my daughter told us about it, and immediately rented this!
We all have high-school French, so it was fun to find and catch some of the phrases in French, while getting the bulk of dialogue in subtitles!
Have turned/made dinner into 2 parties to watch it!
Have seen it 3 times in 2 days, and catch more French each time!
I really loved the politically incorrect, pity free, humor filled, beautifully filmed, fast paced, yet elegant film!
So refreshing!
Seems to be the subject of several films like this - rich handicapped person's life changed by new companion or caregiver, think the first version I ever saw was Heidi 1937 - Shirley Temple, Me Before You 2016 - Emilia Clarke. and the trailer for the soon to be released American remake of this French Original, with Nicole Kidman!
Loved it, OH and did I mention the Maserati's sexy roar to life?

Films by Nation

10 - France

7 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

1 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

• Like 7

61st: The Killer - Hong Kong (1989)

0 Top 10,

100 pts 

Assumed Plot: I know this is crazy. but I am going to say that this is a film about somebody who kills people. As it is Hong Kong, I am also going to say that he is a Modern  Day Martial Arts Assassin. Kind of like Leon but Hong Kong Style. It is going to have big shooty shooty punch punch scenes and the resolution is going to see pretty much everybody die. 

Okay, so it was more shooty shooty boom boom, not punch punch.

John Woo was going to make the list eventually and here he is. This trailer suggests that this film is guns, guns, and more guns, and if that is the case, then it is going to have its massive fans and also its detractors depending on what one wants to see in a film. There are certainly a lot of guns. 

I personally expected Hong Kong to be sitting on more than two films at this point, but here we are. They pull ahead of China and draw level with Sweden. Will they be able to push on from here... 

From Amazon user, Sir Cjalot

This is how to do an over the top bloody action movie right! The killer is definitely one of the greatest Hong Kong action movies of all time! Directed by John Woo, and Starring Chow Yun Fat. I'll explain this film in a nutshell. A Hit-man Named Ah Jong "actor name: chow yun fat" was on an assassin mission. While in the mint's of this assassination, A singer named Jennie was blinded in a crossfire of bullets, that seared her eyes. Ah Jong felt responsible for her injuries. Jennie and Ah-Jong soon become a couple, 6 months after the shootout "keep in mind that she does not know that he was the assassin". Meanwhile a cop named: Danny Lee has an investigation to track down this hit-man. What I like about this film is that the Hit-man and the cop are equally matched, and become almost like rivals. "like you see in the picture below." Also there's this strange love triangle with Jennie. Anyway, there's more to this movie then what I just explained. You'll have to experience the rest of it yourself. The killer is a must see for action movie fans. The killer holds a 7.9 rating on IMDb and a 98%/100 % on rotten tomato's (which is pretty good). I'll give this movie 5 Stars.

Films by Nation

10 - France

7 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

• Like 8

60th: Dil Chahta Hai - India (2001)

1 First Place, 1 Top 10,

102 pts 

Assumed Plot: And a mere 5 films since the last 2, there is already another film I have seen! Clearly I only watch the very best in foreign cinema.

Dil Chahta Hai (which I want to say means searching for love, [I think  heart literally]), is a film that has a lot of charm, and a great primary romance. It once again stars my second favourite Khan alongside my third favourite Khan, all living it up in Australia. It was also another of the early 2000's films that helped create a more accessible brand of Hindi film for us fussy Western audiences. 

Preity Zinta is also preity wonderful too. 

This film is I believe both Saif and Zinta's second appearance in the top 100, and it may actually be the first appearance for Aamir Khan (although that should change as the reveals continue otherwise something has gone terribly A.Rai. 

This also once again sees india close the gap of France in what is becoming a nigh-on Sisyphean task it seems. Either way, they are now very well placed to be the second nation to hit 10 films on the list. 

From Amazon user, Gypsi

Akash (Aamir Khan), Sid (Akshaye Khanna), and Sameer (Saif Ali Khan), just graduated from college, are the closest of friends. Sameer falls in and out of love regularly, while Sid is too involved in his painting to be interested in women. Akash, a cynic, doesn't believe that love truly exists. This coming of age drama follows their first tastes of real love, a devastating break in their friendship, and their eventual maturing.

The film also stars Dimple Kapadia, Priety Zinta, and Sonali Kulkarni.

This was a most impressive movie. The three male leads were believable and natural as they gave award winning performances. Zinta, and veteran actress Kapadia were also particularly good in their roles. The soundtrack was uniformly enjoyable. The plot is funny, moving, and engrossing, enhanced by excellent cinematography. It is obvious that the screenplay writer/director, Farhan Akhtar (27 at the time), is talented and able to bring out the best in his cast. It's easy to see why this film has become a cult classic.

Films by Nation

10 - France

8 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

Hong Kong Top 5 All Time Admissions List:

1st - Cold War 2 No Votes,

(although Poland's Cold War finished 447th and France's Cold Water was 513th)

Yet another region where the top grossing film with local audiences doesn't even register with anybody on the forum. Whether that is because it panders a bit too much to local pride than good cinema ala Roaring Currents in Korea, or is a comedy that perhaps doesn't translate as well to other languages like what that French one was, I do not know, 

2nd - Kung Fu Hustle Top 200

A very fun looking film that I never got round to watching. Which feels like a shame, but not as much of a shame as the fact I never saw the 3rd placed film which looks even more fun...

3rd - Shaolin Soccer Top 200

See above. This is another wonderfully silly looking film that may or may not have won the hearts of our voters. 

4th - Police Story 4: First Strike No Votes

If it took 3 full Police Story movies with zero striking going on, what the fuck were they doing in those films. 

Fun fact, not only is this the only Police Story film to not receive a single vote (assuming there is no Police Story 6: Mission to Moscow), it is the only Police Story Film not to finish in the top 200 somewhere,

5th - Rumble in the Bronx 614th

This is the film that pretty much killed Hong Kong cinema as a thing that I would consider watching. A friend brought a rented VHS of the film round to our home one day and said it was great and Jackie Chan was fantastic etc. And 12 year old me sat through this dubbed mess of a film that for all I knew could have been great, but I could not cope with the dubbing. Not only is the voice acting bad, but I personally cannot deal with sound and lip movement not matching.

So I did what any sensible 12 year old does, and decide that all dubbed films are bad (which is accurate), all Hong Kong films are bad (possibly not accurate), and Jackie Chan is bad (definitely not accurate). 

Additional Note: You are The Apple of my Eye is listed as the 2nd highest grossing domestic film in Hong Kong by the list I used. As it is a Taiwanese film I left it out. For the Record, it received zero votes,

•  
  • Like 6

Italy Top 5 All Time Admissions List: 

1-5: Some guy called Gennaro Nunziante.

Okay, not quite, but it's close.

1st - Quo Vado No Votes,

This is a 2016 comedy by Gennaro Nunziante starring some office supply manager looking guy named Checco Zalone. 

2nd - Sole A Catinelle No Votes

This is a 2013 comedy by Gennaro Nunziante starring some office supply manager looking guy named Checco Zalone. 

3rd - Tolo Tolo No Votes

This is a 2020 comedy directed by and starring some office supply manager looking guy named Checco Zalone. 

4th - What a Beautiful Day No Votes

This is a 2011 comedy by Gennaro Nunziante starring some office supply manager looking guy named Checco Zalone. 

5th - Life is Beautiful 87th

This is a 1997 comedy by directed by and starring some office supply manager looking guy named Roberto Benigni. 

Additional Note: I am sorry to any Italian reading this if this guy is actually like a national treasure or something. But my general impressions from the posters alone is that he seems like Italy's answer to Mrs. Brown's Boys over Italy's Answer  to Monty Python. 

• Like 6