chasmmi

The OFFICIAL BOT Top 100 Foreign Films of all Time Ever List Begins...

On 7/31/2020 at 2:14 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

Chak De India: My first film ever in theater, made me SRK fan. The best sports film ever from India, Lagaan and Dangal have nothing on CDI. Wish it was a bit higher, but I am happy it made it even. 2 SRK films in a day is great.

Also, @chasmmi mentioned about box office toppers. This was a big success in 2007, grossing $23mn in India. If released today, sort of growth and taste of people, would easily do $90mn.

"Lagaan and Dangal have nothing on CDI"

So true.

59th: Three Colours Red - France (1994)

2 Top 10,

103 pts 

Assumed Plot: And the second part of the Three colours trilogy lands on the list. Now that I am clued into which tricalore I am referencing, I can more safely assume that this is the closing chapter of the trilogy. So whereas Blue seemed to be about grief and loss, red is a symbol of blood and passion, so this is going to have a revenge theme throughout the main narrative plus also a bunch of sex because... French cinema. 

Well that trailer gave away fucking nothing didn't it. 

I believe this is the first franchise/series to see two films hit the list. It also once again hits straight back at India's attempts to keep the country race close. I think I am going to leave most of the comments here to a random Amazon reviewer...

From Amazon user, Jessie Wright

I did love this movie, though Blue is still my favorite. The relationship between Valentine and the judge offers a different, genuinely human perspective on the judge's seemingly reprehensible behavior. She first approaches it with disgust, triggering change - seemingly without guilt or shame - from the judge. Without spoiling the film, it simply tells a humble story about the bonds we form with other people, how they evolve with time, and how outside events impact them. There are also some nice little cameos of the preceding films' main characters here and there to keep an eye out for.

This isn't a drama with all kinds of twists and draw-dropping betrayals - if that's what you're looking for, then you should probably watch something else. It's more a social dialogue, the kind that says nothing but still manages to make its point, in the form of a film than it is anything else. It's light, refreshing, and personal.

Films by Nation

11 - France

8 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

• Like 5

58th: The Unbrellas of Cherbourg - France (1964)

1 Top 5,

104 pts 

Assumed Plot: A film I know nothing about (shockingly) save that I believe it regularly gets votes whenever I do the best movie songs countdown. So therefore it could be a musical, or it could be a film that has a big soundtrack moment, it's up in the air.  

When I see that title, I envision a stormy, grey Cherbourg seafront with lost umbrellas rolling down empty streets as in the background a lone British family are trying to cram the final few bottles of one Euro Beaujolais into the back of their three door Sierra. 

Wait, is that the song from Jurassic Bark!

I've potentially been to Cherbourg more times than any active member of this forum, and I don't think I have ever seen any of that drama going on when there. It is a lovely song although it surprises me that such a serious seeming French film would choose to use a Futurama song as its emotional crescent. But cinema is a strange beast. 

This is also a French one-two double whammy punch and that gap is looking more and more unclosable by the reveal. That said, I would have expected this to rank as one of the top French films, so maybe France has blown most of its load too early in this countdown?

From Amazon user, Bakersfield Grandma

The five stars are simply because Amazon had this movie at a decent price. I purchased it for my mother who is 91 and not so nice about my gifts over the years. Watching this movie with my mom back in the 60's was always a special treat -we had to wait until it was on television, then we piled into her bed after the little sisters were sleeping, and cried to the beauty of the music and singing, the diplomacy in handling the subject matter, and the soul-tugging sadness of tough decisions and a first love that never dies. Instead of an actual gift, my mother will receive a lovely basket of movie night - Umbrellas of Cherbourg, some canned stuffed grape leaves, her favorite crackers, and a few other items to provide memories of the things I know she used to love.

Films by Nation

12 - France

8 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

1 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

• Like 6

57th: Stalker - Soviet Union (1979)

1 Top 5,

104 pts 

Assumed Plot: And it is the long awaited return of Russia / Soviet Union (I haven't checked the time period yet). Stalker is the... you know I think I may have already shot my crazy, obsessed  stalker plot when I was predicting man with a movie camera. It would be annoying if it turned out that that described this film pretty accurately. 

Instead I am going to say that this is a Russian vampire film. The 'stalker' in question is a creature of the night that stalks, seduces, then snacks on whomever their chosen victim may be.

Tarkovsky... Tarkovsky... is that the Hard to be a God dude?

So it turns out that this is a film where Russian Jason Statham does something involving sand. I have also confirmed that this is another Soviet Era film centering around a post-apocalyptic time with mutants and stuff. I also got quite the thrriller vibe from the trailer. 

With the second film to hit this list from the Soviet period, I wonder if we will see anything that modern Russian cinema has to offer. There is still a whole half a countdown to go, so maybe there will be something newer still to come...

From Amazon user, Curtis Magnuson

Anything by Tarkovsky is excellent. The cinematography in the Stalker is particularly good. My suggestion for the devotees is to read "Roadside Picnic", the novel on which the film is based. The two are very different and yet come to the same conclusion. He captures the essence of the book within the film. It is something to wonder about knowing that he had already completed the film only to learn that it was destroyed. As good as the existing film is, there is a sense that the ghost of the original haunts it throughout. That feeling adds depth to an already deep film. Tarkovsky's movies have a visual power that excels description. It must be experienced to be understood and then intuitively.

Films by Nation

12 - France

8 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

I just wanna say, I wish I had watched Park Chan-wook's Psychological/Horror/Romance thriller THIRST (2009) before submitting my top because JFC

It would assuredly have made my top 5. Unbelievable, unique movie. Fantastic performances, especially from Kim Ok-bin who is a revelation. Kong Sang-ho is amazing as usual.

thirst+poster.jpg

So yeah, if it barely missed this top, feel free to crucify me. :ph34r:

Latest FYC ever lmao

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I just wanna say, I wish I had watched Park Chan-wook's Psychological/Horror/Romance thriller THIRST (2009) before submitting my top because JFC

It would assuredly have made my top 5. Unbelievable, unique movie. Fantastic performances, especially from Kim Ok-bin who is a revelation. Kong Sang-ho is amazing as usual.

thirst+poster.jpg

So yeah, if it barely missed this top, feel free to crucify me. :ph34r:

Latest FYC ever lmao

It is not my favourite Park Chan Wook film, but I think it is the best acting you will see from an ensemble in any Korean film. Song Kang Ho puts in the best performance of his career and Kim Ok-Bin is extraordinary. It also blows my mind how Park can read some 19th century French novel that does not have vampires and turn it into Thirst. 

I said it before and I will say it again. No Korean director (and maybe even no director full stop), gets actors to perform at the highest level better than Park Chan Wook. 

(Also a 5th place vote would have taken Thirst up to 94th. 

• Like 2

56th: Swades - India (2004)

1 Top 5, 1 Top 10

104 pts (more votes)

Assumed Plot: I was in Banaras for 3 weeks in 2005 and while I was there, I happened to see the broadcast for the (or at least an) Indian Film Awards. I remember it vividly because the Best Actor category had Shah Rukh Khan nominated for 3 different films in three very different roles. There was Mai Hoon Na (where Shah Rukh makes Steve Buscemi look like a convincing High School student), Veer Zaara, and then Swades. 

So I know roughly that it is a biopic about (i think) a holy man. And that at the time it was a very different and perhaps risky role from Khan to take on at that point in his career. But my vague memories of Swades personally only go as far as remembering that he walks around a village. 

Ok, he's not a Holy Man then? Something different is going on. 

Either way, I remember Swades getting plaudits for being a different kind of performance from Khan and being a smaller scale Bollywood film that held its own against the big productions. 

I am starting to wonder if there are any countries out there except from and India right now as they keep take shots back and forth at each other. India is now one film away from joining France on double figures, but let's expect France to hit straight back with another entry just as usual...

From Amazon user, Lyn

This is a thoughtful movie of quiet tones. It examines many of the difficult issues of getting rural India self sufficient and dropping old limiting beliefs. It is also about Indians who train overseas and take their skills out of the country.
It is not a typical Bollywood song and dance movie though it does have music and 2 songs particularly are quite catchy. It is more realistic in its tone and more a quiet socio-political piece. With all that it paints the relationships as warm and is quietly moving.
SRK does an excellent job in this movie and expresses emotion and reaction in a deep yet restrained manner. He stands tall on the global stage in the responses he can elicit from viewing his movies. He also bravely goes into important social areas in going outside the box in the movies he often explores.
Recommended though quieter and different.

Films by Nation

12 - France

9 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

• Like 9

55th: Capernaum - Lebanon (2018)

0 Top 10

104 pts (more votes)

Assumed Plot: I thought this was the chemical that made chilies spicy. Anyhow I am going to take a punt at the low hanging fruit and guess that this is in some way about the Middle Eastern political situation. 

Maybe some Muslim/Judaism Romeo and Juliet story, or perhaps the story of opposing soldiers (or a soldier and civilian) that come to realise that the other side also consists of humans and not faceless bad guys. 

All I could really ascertain from that trailer is that it is a serious film and one that is critically acclaimed. 

Capernaum received a lot of steady support from voters in a similar manner to Incendies (and possibly similar people voting for each). I can see why it managed to make the list.  

This is the only Lebanese film to make the top 100, but in doing so brings the number of different Asian cinema industries represented up to 6 and only 1 below the 7 countries of Europe, and well clear of North America with 2. 

From Amazon user, Juicy R

Probably one of the best films I’ve ever seen. Zain (not a real actor in real life) plays the part of a 12-year old boy who lived in the slums of Lebanon. His parents have no values, but he instinctively knows right from wrong. He is imprisoned for stabbing a man in an act of revenge and his story is revealed as he stands firm in his beliefs and reveals the side of humanity that he wishes to preserve. It is a beautiful, thoughtful film that will forever remain in my heart.

Films by Nation

12 - France

9 - India

5 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

54th: Akira - Japan (1988)

1 Top 10

104 pts (more votes)

Assumed Plot: I believe this was once upon a time going to be a Di Caprio live-action film right? Or maybe it was Charleze Theron. I forget. 

Akira is... right, it isn't the one with the topless booby Japanese robot girl in a future Tokyo dystopia as that is Ghost in the Shell right? So then this is sexy Japanese robot girl that rides a motorcycle in a future Japanese dystopia? Akira has to uncover a deep conspiracy and fight other robotic enhanced people in order to save the future and learn something about humanity. 

Oh it is not a sexy robot girl, it's an angsty biker boy.  

So it is post-apocalyptic dragonball with motorbikes? Being serious, I know that this is one of the classic Japanese animes of the 80s and 90s that I am supposed to watch and then in turn admire (alongside Ghost in said Shell, Millenium Actress, and a bunch of others made by the same group of about 3 directors). I will get round to it one day, probably, maybe, possibly. 

Does this also signal the wave of Japanese anime is about to rip through this list? It takes Japan up to 6 films with a lot of big hitters still to place, so potentially India and France are not out of reach just yet. 

From Amazon user, Adam Hodge-McNutt

Though it's a somewhat awkward compression of the manga, "Akira" works great on its own. The tale of two teenagers in Neo-Tokyo, it begins when biker Tetsuo is captured by government forces and separated from his childhood friend Kaneda. Strange powers awaken in Tetsuo... and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The voice acting works well, the animation is superb, the characters likable, and the soundtrack is something new entirely. "Akira"'s action sequences shine, but even the quiet moments are worth pausing to see the meticulous detailing of Neo-Tokyo. Complete with vistas of space-age skyscrapers and all the futuristic cars and motorcycles you could ask for, "Akira" is an animated gem. But before you go showing it to your kids, know that it's rated "R" for a reason. This is a good movie. But it is not a kids' movie.

Films by Nation

12 - France

9 - India

6 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 6

53rd: Dangal - India (2016)

1 Top 5, 1 Top 10

106 pts

Assumed Plot: I know from the earlier post about top 5 top grossing Bollywood films that this is a wrestling movie starring Aamir Khan. In my heart I want it to be a WWE Style madness extravaganza with singing and dancing from people dressed like the Macho Man. But I know that it is a more traditional wrestling type affair. 

It seems like sports movies do big business and get great followings in India. Especially as there may well be more sports films to come...

It may just be the Aamir Khan / sports montage combo, but that song really reminds me of chale chalo from Lagaan.  

It would have been quite the shock to see this miss the top 100, and a shock was not forthcoming as Dangal just falls short of the top 50. From the trailer, it seems like a film that very much follows the formula for big Bollywood film about overcoming the odds in a sporting endeavor.  

It also brings up India's double digit representation on this list and back to within just two of France. The race is on!! Or is it...?

From Amazon user, Amazon Customer

Excellent movie. Shows India's great diversity social do's and don'ts. Great acting. I hope to see these actors again. Not your typical "Bollywood" movie. Virtuoso performances with the actors going through their scenes showing determined prowess in their moves....but no stereotypical B'wood dance numbers that sometimes take over the movie. And not your typical "Dangal" movie these women changed the face of Indian wrestling and just as important Indian society.

Films by Nation

12 - France

10 - India

6 - Japan

4 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 8

52nd: The Battle of Algiers - Italy (1966)

1 Top 5, 1 Top 10

108 pts

Assumed Plot: I should know better than this, but I don't think Italy went into Algeria in WW2 right? They invaded Ethiopia, Libya and was there Somalia? But Germany dealt with Somalia I thought. 

So I don't think this is a WW2 film, but it feels like it can only be a WW2 film. Although just because the film is Italian doesn't mean it has to involve Italy. Or it could be an Italian division sent to back up Germany (or that got eviscerated by Germany near the war's end). 

So basically I think it is a war film, but I don't think it is a war film, so I am flummoxed. 

Okay its an Italian directed/produced film, but otherwise essentailly French. That makes a lot more sense. 

I must say, that trailer makes the film look epic, and for something non-Hollywood, (hell, including Hollywood for that matter) made in the 60s, this must have been mind-blowing at the time. If it lives up to the trailer, I can see why it got rated so highly.  

This also brings up Italy's first appearance here in a while, and probably quite an overdue one at this point. They may be looking at trying to solidify best of the rest after the top 3 at this point.

From Amazon user, Haridam

Looking at this film from a purely artistic standpoint, there's no doubt this is truly a fine artwork. What is so hard to grasp is that it was done so realistically, so believably, that it's like watching real documentary or newsreel footage. No wonder the director had to include a statement that no such footage was used in his work. How could he achieve such incredible effects, with such large crowds of extras and nonprofessionals in supporting and leading roles? From this standpoint, this film is truly breathtaking--indeed, jaw dropping. He tried to make his work well balanced and was quite successful; it's fair to both sides and there's no particular political statement to be had. Only the tragedy and futility of war.

Films by Nation

12 - France

10 - India

6 - Japan

5 - Italy

3 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 8

51st: Joint Security Area - South Korea (2001)

1 First Place

108 pts

Assumed Plot: I may be a bit biased here as I am the one who put it first, but this is objectively the best film Korea ever produced. It is the film that thrust Park Chan Wook into the spotlight, as well as the film that showed that some random comedy actor named Song Kang Ho was maybe a bit good at all this acting stuff. 

This film broke the all time admissions record in Korea upon release (maybe, probably, the official numbers around this time were still Seoul only figures, so a lot of extrapolation is sometimes required.). It picked up the ball left by Shiri and ran with it to deliver a fantastic performance based drama that was the first time that North Koreans had been shown to actually potentially be human beings in a South Korean film.  

Nothing more to add here, I just wish this film was easier to track down and watch in today's Netflix world. 

Edti: oh it appears it may be on Amazon Prime (or at least something called Mubi)

That is now 4 films on the board with two for Park and two for Bong. It will be interesting to see who wins that battle to get more films on the list as both directors have more than one candidate remaining that has a shot of making the top 50. A top 5 nations is also slowly starting to take shape here unless Sweden, Hong KOng, or somewhere else can get in on the act soon.  

From Amazon user, Desertman84

Joint Security Area or J.S.A. is a great political movie about the friendship of soldiers patrolling the borders of North and South Korea. It is a heart-warming and touching film considering that it shows that people remain as brothers despite the fact that the country is separated due to difference in beliefs and for political reasons. Aside from that, it also has a message of peace and patriotism. The acting was great. Lee Byeong-Hun,Kang-ho Song and Lee Young-Ae were exceptional. The direction of Park Chan Wook deserves credit as well. The movie was interesting from beginning to end. It is definitely highly recommended.

Films by Nation

12 - France

10 - India

6 - Japan

5 - Italy

4 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 6

50th: Pather Panchali - India (1955)

1 Top 5

108 pts (More VOtes)

Assumed Plot: I may have looked up what this title potentially translates as, and it is Bengali for Song of the Little Road. First, this means I will need to double check if this film is potentially Bangladeshi instead of Indian, Second I am going to take a guess that there is a famous 'Little Road' that traverses one of the 14 borders between Bangladesh and India and that this is the story of people with emotional needs to cross said border and the potential difficulties/hardships that arise from attempting to do so. 

Oh it's from 1955, that means if it is a Bangali film, there wasn't yet a Bangladesh to have it come from. (I mean there was, but it was a region of Pakistan at the time [although it also would not surprise me if Bengal is a bit like the Basque in Europe and exists both sides of the border])

That trailer gave me zero new info, so please wait what for you will be zero seconds as I solve the mystery once and for all....

Right so... This is a film produced by the government of West Bengal which was (and still is) in India. Thus this is a Bengali language Indian film and so gives India its 11th placement on the list.

It is also apparently a masterpiece. 

From Amazon user, Mrs. J M Burt

This film had been reported as one of the best films ever made and I totally agree. It gives a glimpse of India that it would be impossible to imagine without this wonderful film. It follows the life of one small boy from a caring but extremely poor family. It is amusing, sad, very entertaining and absorbing. We learn what happens to the rest of his family and we follow him through his education, successes and failures and long for his luck to change. You need to watch this wonderful film to discover his final outcome. A delightful film in every way. English subtitles throughout. This is one film which is much better for being in its own language. For English language speakers I feel it enhances the film rather than detracting from it in any way.

Films by Nation

12 - France

11 - India

6 - Japan

5 - Italy

4 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

2 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union

1 - Germany

1 - Canada

1 - Austria

1 - Lebanon

• Like 9

49th: Raise the Red Lantern - China (1991)

1 Top 10

109 pts 

Assumed Plot: And Huzzah now I get to play the is it Chinese or is it Hong Kong game (with a wild card Taiwan possibility always looming [luckily no super wildcard Macau options though]) 

Considering the title, I am saying that Raising the red lantern means raising the righteous light of Communism over the whole of China and thus is a historical epic about the rise of Mao and his creation of modern China. 

Goddammit Hong Kong! Red is the communists colours, why you trickses me like this?

I must say, it may just be the trailer quality, but that felt a lot older than 1991 to me. Just the vibe I got. Either way, it appears to have a little less martial arts / gun violence of most Hong Kong films that got votes and that makes it a more unique entry. 

It also pulls Hong Kong above Sweden and back on the heels of Korea. 

From Amazon user, Cheryl

I first saw this film when it came out in 1991, but it's so outstanding that I've watched it a number of times over the years.

Nineteen-year-old Songlian's family has become devastated after her father dies during the Warlord Era (1916-1928); their family is bankrupt, and she ends up agreeing to become a concubine/wife for a local wealthy man, Master Chen. She quickly finds out that she is actually the fourth wife/third concubine to Chen; and receiving his daily favor will mean important privileges within the household. Because of this, there is a lot of in-fighting not only between the wives, who are jealous of one another, but also Songlian's servant girl, Yan'er, seeks to undermine her mistress, because she thought that she was going to become Chen's wife.

This is truly an outstanding film, rich with subtlety and plotting. It is in Chinese with English subtitles, so if "reading a film isn't your thing", you probably won't like it. But if you like good drama, and don't believe that every story must have a happy ending, then you will enjoy this film a great deal.

Films by Nation

12 - France

11 - India

6 - Japan

5 - Italy

4 - South Korea

2 - Sweden

3 - Hong Kong

1 - Mexico

1 - China

1 - Denmark

2 - Soviet Union