Eric Atreides

Disney+ | MARVEL STUDIOS PRESENTS A KEVIN FEIGE PRODUCTION: ROGERS THE MUSICAL (Featuring HAWKEYE) | November 24, 2021

2 hours ago, Menor said:

RT score doesn't matter for shows to me. Critics only got the first two episodes anyway. 

I read a review of the first two episodes that left me absolutely in stitches based on some overarching plot details I'm aware of that they were oblivious too. I was like "this entire take will be obsolete once you watch another ep or two"

• Like 1

I should preface this by saying that Matt Fraction and David Aja’s run of Hawkeye is a masterpiece, and probably one of my favorite comics ever, and I love Kate Bishop and the Young Avengers, so much I legit have copies of the comic as framed art. 

Haliee Steinfeld is a revelation as Kate. I feel like she has emerged from the comic book page fully formed.

The problem is… And I know it’s been 10 years… And I know I should be used to it by now… But I just really hate Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. The energy is all wrong. The whole family angle is wrong. The tone of the performance is wrong. It just doesn’t work for me. It didn’t work for me during The Avengers in 2012 and it still doesn’t work for me now.

And there’s no real way around that. So I just hope that we continue to improve, and I look forward to when Kate is free of Clint and with her Young Avengers. 

Random Thoughts:

- maybe Succession has spoiled me but these rich people are are boring. 
- This is so random but the Track Suit Mafia saying word other than Bro! bro? bRah? Over and over is throwing me

- Not enough Lucky

Rogers: The Musical Is filled with as much secondhand embarrassment and confusion in the light as I hoped it would be. I was like hiding behind my blanket laughing. There are so many Choices TM and I love all of them

It's fine. Pilot was too much set-up for its own good, even if I enjoyed Hailee Steinfeld Nancy Drew-ing herself into a mystery of a mess, partially as an impulsive lark. I thought she was a #1 draft pick for that role and she nails it. But 2nd episode picks up with Jeremy Renner finally having an identity in the MCU besides just second banana or Archer Dude: He's basically Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2. He's already over the celebrity thing and his Christmas plans get compromised by some bad guy stuff which makes him grumpy with Renner channeling his inner Bruce Willis while paired up with the enthusiastic Steinfeld as his #1 fan/self-recruited sidekick in way over her head. Crazy that Kate Bishop and Lucky the Pizza Dog are now in the MCU. But I want more Tracksuit Mafia.

Edited by RRA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cap said:

I should preface this by saying that Matt Fraction and David Aja’s run of Hawkeye is a masterpiece, and probably one of my favorite comics ever, and I love Kate Bishop and the Young Avengers, so much I legit have copies of the comic as framed art. 

Haliee Steinfeld is a revelation as Kate. I feel like she has emerged from the comic book page fully formed.

The problem is… And I know it’s been 10 years… And I know I should be used to it by now… But I just really hate Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. The energy is all wrong. The whole family angle is wrong. The tone of the performance is wrong. It just doesn’t work for me. It didn’t work for me during The Avengers in 2012 and it still doesn’t work for me now.

And there’s no real way around that. So I just hope that we continue to improve, and I look forward to when Kate is free of Clint in with her Young Avengers. 

Random Thoughts:

- maybe Succession has spoiled me but these rich people are are boring. 
- This is so random but the Track Suit Mafia saying word other than Bro! bro? bRah? Over and over is throwing me

- Not enough Lucky

Rogers: The Musical Is filled with as much secondhand embarrassment and confusion in the light as I hoped it would be. I was like hiding behind my blanket laughing. There are so many Choices TM and I love all of them

I think a major problem is the fact that whether Whedon or Russos tried to flesh Hawkeye out, instead it just added veneers of depth instead of actual depth. Oh he has a family? Well, OK but don't buy it BAM instantly like with Paul Rudd. Oh he went Punisher at some point? Umm, sure? I stand by my opinion that grumpy Renner is at least something to work with that I buy from that character (I know I know, but its a start) but its one of those things that would've been nice if his character was better established earlier. 

But yes, Kate Bishop FTW. 

• Like 1

I had fun. The writing isn’t exactly sharp or witty (typical lame snarky “WELL THAT HAPPENED” quip during the bell scene) but it’s well-paced and carried by strong actors. Steinfeld is just a rocket of charisma, truly an underrated performer. The action isn’t hacked and incoherent. Felt very Disney channel and family friendly which was welcome change of pace. 

First episode was meh (mostly because of the second half of it, it started strong), second was pretty good. Renner and Steinfeld are excellent and the humor is on point. 

Spoiler

What exactly was the fencing scene trying to prove? How did it show that the stepdad was lying? Like it shows that he was holding back but it doesn't really prove anything major. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 5:51 AM, RRA said:

I’m curious why he pulled this now on this particular project? Then again if he had on Eternals, that…would’ve backfired on him super hard to say the least.

Maybe this marked some pay raise for him? Credits usually involve pay in some way.