YM!

Y8 Advanced Schedule

Current standing with IMAX films:

• World War Z - 28 days
  • Static Shock 2: The Metahuman Agenda - 7 days 100%, additional 7 days 50%
  • Pokémon: The Case of the Orange Outrage - 7 days 50%, additional 21 days 100%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Secret of the Guardians - 28 days
  • Totem of the Elders - 21 days
  • Mass Effect: Revelation - 21 days
  • One Punch Man: A Monster Rises - 21 days
  • Untitled Rian Johnson Project - 14 days
  • Beastars - 14 days
  • Miss Marvel - 14 days
  • Attack on Titan: The Wings of Freedom - 21 days
  • Red Dead Redemption: Vol 1 - 21 days
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: A Tale of Two Brothers - 14 days
  • Mystery Nintendo Project - 28 days
  • Panzer Dragoon - 14 days
  • The Wild Thornberrys - 14 days
  • The Last Airbender: The Boy in the Iceberg - 12 days
  • Castaways - 16 days
  • The Untitled Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Sequel - 5 days
  • The Scavenger Wars Part IV - Remainder of the year
Edited by cookie
  • Like 3

Take Wanderer off the schedule. It's being pushed back to Y9.

In it's place on the current schedule (June 28th, in wide release), put:

Beastars (Drama/Action/Comedy/Romance/Mystery) - Directed by Carlos Lopez Estrada - In IMAX and Dolby Cinema (2 weeks)

Expect a longer announcement post sometime next weekend.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Do you already have 3 imax reservations? If so you have to give one up

Currently, he only has the WWZ slot (that he's taking off the schedule (?)) and The CastawaysClover was taken off, and Fullmetal Alchemist is one of mine.

(in tags because this is uber long lol)

Spoiler

Hello, I come with a special message.

I'm going to start off by admitting that I was not in a good place over last weekend and into Monday afternoon — but this story has a happy ending, and it’ll lead into why I’m making this post.

I spoke on Telegram a few weeks ago that I'd gotten hired for a new job that's supposed to start on Monday, but I found out a bit later that it wasn't as locked in as I first thought. They actually hadn't decided if they were going to hire me, and I must've misinterpreted what they said and assumed it was a done deal. It wasn't, and when I met them for a new job interview Thursday last week they said that they were going to hear from other possible candidates and get back to me the following Monday/Tuesday and confirm if I got the job or not.

Naturally, it got me very worried that I was about to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and completely bomb this, and given my shit luck up until now, I was basically bracing for it. Worst part, I had no escape plan. I started thinking that if I failed this, then I'm just going to continue being stuck in my perpetual circle of hell for all eternity, and it got me very depressed. I didn't want to mention it to anyone at the time because I don't want to cause any drama or concern or whatever, but let's just say I was close to giving up on a lot of things, including Cayom.

Monday came, and I was refreshing my inbox all day waiting for the response.

Nine hours from when I post this, I will be signing my employment contract with them.

I can't understate how huge this is. It's going to be full-time for a whole year, with a month's worth of vacation days planned in somewhere (hopefully 2021 is an improvement at least in the latter half so those days won't go to waste, but that's another worry for another time), and I wouldn't call the pay brilliant for most people, but for me it's like more than double of what I've ever earned doing anything up until now. Provided I don't screw this up and it lasts until November 2021, even if unemployed afterwards the way the Swedish unemployment benefit system works is that if you're employed for six months or more you're entitled to 80% of that pay for another year afterwards, which is still way higher than I've earned up until now.

Basically, as long as I do my part, I'll be financially secure for a good two years. To me, that's an incredible blessing. Now I really hope I'm not jinxing it right now, lol.

But what does this have to do with Cayom?

Well, I feel reinvigorated in a lot of places. Yes, working full time is going to make me less able to write for CAYOM every day, but the trade-off is that my self-confidence will be a lot higher, and to me that's most important. Truth is, even though I've had all the time in the world since summer to write, I've struggled mightily to get anywhere, and it made me feel worse as a result. I felt nothing was working, that it was just going to be hated on, that I was being stupid etc. and, after a while, stuff like that wears you down. But, hopefully, not anymore.

I spent the last few days reevaluating everything on my slate and what I wanted from them, and I realized that there is one part where I maybe am trying to bite off more than I can chew, and that's doing the fourth Scavenger Wars film this year. I have said in Telegram that I've made decent progress on it, but in no way is it going to be finished anytime soon, and I think that doing two films one year after another in service of an eighteen month-esque gap between installments probably wasn't the wisest move in hindsight, at least not when it puts me in the situation that I have to write one for two game years in a row.

These take time. There's no real way around that. I honestly feel less pressured with the likes of my Rian Johnson film (which I am planning on revealing very soon after the fallout of this post has settled) and my Zelda film (which I'll get to shortly) because at least then they're not burdened by the same expectations and the need for me to hit this and that point to make sure the series hangs together as a whole. These films also end up running into the same last-minute rush that I don't think is healthy for me to keep doing in the long run, and as much as I've worked to try and avoid that this year, having made multiple outlines — two of which I've presented to a member here — and written probably tens of thousands of words over multiple drafts... I keep running into a lot of the same issues that keep pulling it apart at the seams. There is actually a crazy amount of dots I have to connect to make the thing work both as a fourth chapter in the saga and live up to the ambition I've always had in mind for it.

I've long been against delaying any of the Scav sequels because it always brought me flashbacks of the entire Voltron 3 debacle, which, as silly as it sounds, may have actually traumatized me to a degree. I've always feared falling into the same death spiral, because I'm going to reiterate now that if Scavs ever falls down the same tube, or I feel pressured or persuaded or whatever to give up on it otherwise... I will quit Cayom. That's the end of the line. Regardless of how I otherwise feel, or what else I've been wanting to do, I just can't go through something like that a third time. Worse when it's your own creation and not you riffing on a property other people have made.

But, with my newfound confidence and perhaps that working on other stuff will help ease my mind over the winter, I am willing to take that chance now. To give myself and the project the time and scale it probably needs.

So, with the dramatics out of the way, I am announcing that I am pulling The Scavenger Wars Part IV from the Y8 schedule and hoping I can find somewhere I can place it in Y9. I was thinking of late March, going off the studio plans thread, or Independence Day weekend, but I would really appreciate it if I got help and suggestions from you guys about where it can fit in. I really don't want to step on anyone's toes, especially when it seems like some Y9 is when some people's long gestating passion projects may finally come to fruition, and I don't want to ruin it for them.

Patty Jenkins will still be directing unless there’s direct conflict, so nothing’s really changed on that front.

I am also announcing, however, that I am skipping the "hiatus" I've been talking about and am planning on releasing Part Five in Year 11, to go along with the every-other-year routine. It might happen that I could split a lot of what I've had in mind for Part Four (which is a lot) into part five, maybe even make it a two-part storyline like with Part Two and Three. Whatever form it takes, I'll at least have another year to figure the first part of that out. It's not like I'm even not confident in what I already have, I just feel I need more time and a reshaped focus to bring it to its fullest potential, and not run into the same stressful times I've had before with even less of a clear direction of what's supposed to go where.

(Also, unless I get Will Smith-ed to oblivion over this, I want to do Tron 3 in Y10. So I guess you have my first Y10 announcement here as well.)

So... does this mean I have something else planned for December 18th? Honestly, I don't. There's a lot of people going after the December slot as is, and I think whatever I'd try and move there would be far more likely to end up lost in the shuffle (I mean Numbers said his Game of Thrones prequel wouldn't be that big of a deal, but to be honest the moment I saw it I started to really sweat lol). I hope I don't end up causing a lot of fighting because of this, but I'm going to leave everything for whoever wants to take up that slot to figure things out.

I'm still gunning for Hilda 2 in December Y9 and for the Danny Boyle spy film to come out sometime that year, so nothing's changed on those fronts. Those two and Scav 4 are likely to be my only larger releases in Y9 as I’ll try to do some smaller stuff in between.

As for my other projects? With a large weight off my shoulder for the moment, I think the Rian Johnson film could finally flourish a lot more, and it, along with Zelda, is going to be my major focus for Year 8 as far as big tentpoles go (plus The Wicker Man for my nom-tentpole). I think I can actually play a little more fast and loose with them than I felt I could with Scavs 4, which should hopefully make things a whole lot easier.

I have nothing more to say on the RJ front for now, but the second announcement of this post is that I'm turning Zelda into a live-action film because I found a way I can make it happen without sacrificing much of what I wanted to do with it, including the current cast (even if he's not my ideal Link looks-wise, I still want to give my boi Keery his break, so I'll just live with it). The release date will remain the same, as will Travis Knight as director probably, but I think direction-wise there will be a few changes including raising the budget and the scope of the storyline. I tried out the new demo for the upcoming Hyrule Warriors game earlier today and it actually got me thinking a lot about what I want to see from my Zelda film, and how I can make it work.

This leaves Y8 with one less animated film, however, and I'm not confident enough in Everything We Miss that it should be my animation studio's only output, so I am at the moment bringing back Panthera to Y8. I’m not sure where it could go, or if I’m able to claim an IMAX slot somewhere, but I’m going to spend the weekend figuring that out, and hopefully come up with an agreeable release date and have it added to the advance schedule before Part 1 opens next week. I cannot guarantee I’ll have time to write it, but I at least want to try.

Since it’s after 2 A.M here and I need to be up early tomorrow, I’m going to cut this a bit short and ask @YourMother the Edgelord to change Zelda’s genre description to just say ”Fantasy/Adventure” and remove Scav 4 from the schedule. If he or anyone else wants to help me find dates for Panthera in Y8 and Scav 4 in Y9, I’ll be very grateful for that as well.

I’ll stay up for maybe fifteen to twenty minutes after making this post to answer any quick questions, but I’ll try to address as many points as I can by tomorrow afternoon and try to remember to update my studio plans post so people don’t get confused later.

If you’ve read this far, and I apologize if it’s a bit all over the place and not all that concise or structured, I really appreciate that you took the time to do so. Cayom and the work I put into it means a lot to me, and I hope I can do the best I can with the chance that recent events have given me.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk— I mean, reading this post

Edited by cookie
  • Like 5
  • Astonished 1