Cap

FILM CLUB: Postponed to January

CAP PRESENTS

WONDYFUL PROJECTIONS

So.  @Plain Old Tele and I are old farts.  With the recent announcements that new releases keep getting pushed into the future, I thought this would be a good time to look back at some old gems that might be "new" to folks here.  Tele, with PTSD over the "Hindsight is 2020" List, played Gollum and said "Dooooo it."

Gene Kelly Mgm GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Once Twice a week, on Thursdays and Saturdays, I'm going to open up my "Super Secret Vault" and offer a "private, free, totally-for-educational-purposes" watch party of some old film. The idea would be to show movies that are harder to find and not on like Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ or Hulu.  Each week we'll automatically select one film, and then show another based off the user's poll or requests. 

HOW TO WATCH

Everything will be run through Zoom. [Download Here].

Room ID: 542 382 5182

PASSWORD: BOT

I will open the Room about 15 minutes before the start time.  We have it set up so that everyone comes in without video or audio, for those folks who might worry about losing some Anonymity!

Huge thanks to @Jason and @Eric Skywalker for helping out with tech support!! It took us a hot sec, but we nailed it!

200.gif

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

July 25, 2020 FEATURE

We're starting on this Saturday with one of @grim22's favorites:

ithappenedonenight3.jpg

Directed and produced by Frank Capra (It's A Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington), It Happened One Night is screwball comedy starring Clark Gable, a savvy reporter, and Claudette Colbert, an heiress running away from her marriage.  In 1935, it became the first film to win all five major Academy Awards: Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, and Adapted Screenplay.  It basically invented the rom-com.  

It's also Pre-Code, so... That Hitchhicking Scene!  Shirtless Clark Gable! Oh, la la. Saucy!

I haven't seen in years.  I'm pumped.

hitchhiking clark gable GIF by Turner Classic Movies

And we're Live:

https://us04web.zoom.us/j/73146883074?pwd=K1IwbndXVnJ4cjRYVnJQRHZlL3NQQT09

Password: BOT

@Jason @Fancyarcher @DAR @MrGamer @MrPink @Rorschach @Eric Skywalker @RealLyre @lorddemaxus @Darth Lehnsherr @Lion Roar @Jake Gittes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I wasn't able to make it this week. Have quite a bit of college work (summer classes) to finish this weekend. Can't do more than one movie a day and already watched one this morning. I'll surely be joining next week.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

@all men, we need to try and copy Clark Gable's hair curl. 😍

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sorry I wasn't able to make it this week. Have quite a bit of college work (summer classes) to finish this weekend. Can't do more than one movie a day and already watched one this morning. I'll surely be joining next week.

Next week's Forbidden Planet

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Very excited that went off without a hitch.  It was really fun, and I'm looking forward to do more!  Oh, and for "free and educational purposes", did you know that:

- Clark Gable singlehandedly killed the under-shirt industry for decades with It Happened One Night.  He took his shirt off to reveal he was shirtless, and everyone took their shirt off to reveal they were shirtless.  It was anarchy! 

- Colbert thought it was the worst.  So much that:

In 1935, after her Academy Award nomination, Colbert decided not to attend the presentation, feeling confident that she would not win the award, and instead, planned to take a cross-country railroad trip. After she was named the winner, studio chief Harry Cohn sent someone to "drag her off" the train, which had not yet left the station, and take her to the ceremony. Colbert arrived wearing a two-piece traveling suit which she had the Paramount Pictures costume designer, Travis Banton, make for her trip.[32]

And yes, as @Eric Skywalker said, Next week is FORBIDDEN PLANET.  Details in the first post!  Suuuuuuuper excited for this one.  I've actually never seen it, which is why I picked it.  

• Like 6

It’s today! Fun pre-screening tidbit about FORBIDDEN PLANET — it’s the first movie to have a 100% electronic score. Even funner fact: the score was not credited as music. Bebe and Lewis Barron, the composers, get an on-screen credit for “Electronic Tonalities”. Why? Cuz MGM didn’t want to pay the music guild any fees. :lol: 

Since the Barrons didn’t belong to any Academy guild, the score wasn’t considered for any awards, either as a “soundtrack” or as “sound effects”. The score wasn’t released until 20 years later, when the Barrons (through their own record label!) put out an LP for the 20th anniversary of the movie.

• Astonished 1

With @Jake Gittes out this week, I was thinking about starting it a little earlier at like 10:30PM or 11PM. Does that work better for people? I also was thinking of making it a true Science Fiction double feature, and showing in Cat People after it. Forbidden Planet is about 1:35 and Cat People is about 1:25. 

@Jason @Fancyarcher @DAR @MrGamer @MrPink @Rorschach @Eric Skywalker @RealLyre @lorddemaxus @Darth Lehnsherr @Lion Roar @Jake Gittes

• Like 3

That honestly works better for me. I'd have to wake up early in the morning my time if it was at 9 PM PT so later in the day would be great. Won't be able to watch the 2nd film though.

Edit: Oh, you're talking ET time. That's a bit too early for me. I'll try to make it but there's a good chance I'll be asleep. It might be fine if you make it 11pm though. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

JULY 31, 2020 FEATURE PRESENTATION

forb1.jpg

This week's Feature will be the Sci-Fi Classic (ANNE FRANCIS STARS IN...) FORBIDDEN PLANET from MGM in 1956.  We're going FULL Vintage.  It might (and by might, totally will) feel dorky, yet you can clearly see the nuggets of our faves like Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG in the movie.  Traveling to other planets!  Robots!  Laser guns!  Leslie Nelson playing a straight man! What else could you want?  It's also only like an hour and forty minutes! Most importantly, it was name-checked in Rocky Horror.

Hello. Everyone!

@Fancyarcher @Ethan Hunt @DAR @Rorschach (Hi I see you)

This is your Thank You Fifteen:

Captain Wondyful is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Captain Wondyful's Personal Meeting Room

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5423825182?pwd=T1VuUmJ5OVB1ZjRNQmNHRVpDQ3lkUT09

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182
Passcode: BOT

• Like 3