Cap

9:30PM WED: African Queen

TUESDAY

MV5BMmMxMTk0MmMtY2I0YS00NjcwLTk2NjYtOWFl

Robert Altman's morose anti-Western about two capitalist in 1902 Washington. 

WEDNESDAY

099l20895-bjb3p.jpg

We're taking a SLIGHT pause from the Westerns to prepare for Jungle Cruise by watching the original!  

SATURDAY

MV5BNzQwZGIxZWItMTVmNi00MDZmLTgzOTctYzVh

The first half of our directed by the star double features this weekend, Buck and the Preacher stars Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte.  This is the first film Poitier directed.  As mentioned in the introduction to the month, the Western genre isn't exactly known for being progressive and inclusive.  Buck and The Preacher was one of the first films that really depicted African American settlement in the West post-Civil War, and one of the few to depict the Native and African Americans working together against the White Settlers.

Fun Fact and interesting tie in to Sergeant Rutledge.  According to Woody Strode: "The big studios wanted an actor like Sidney [Poitier] or [Harry] Belafonte.  And this is not being facetious, but Mr. Ford defended me; and I don't know that this is going on. He said, "Well, they're not tough enough to do what I want Sergeant Rutledge to be."

SUNDAY

pale_rider_1985_original_film_art_f_1200

Directed and Starring Clint Eastwood, we have another story about a Preacher.  This time the "mysterious preacher (Clint Eastwood) protects a humble prospector village from a greedy mining company trying to encroach on their land."

• Like 1