Cap

FILM CLUB: Postponed to January

TUESDAY

MV5BMmMxMTk0MmMtY2I0YS00NjcwLTk2NjYtOWFl

Robert Altman's morose anti-Western about two capitalist in 1902 Washington. 

WEDNESDAY

099l20895-bjb3p.jpg

We're taking a SLIGHT pause from the Westerns to prepare for Jungle Cruise by watching the original!  

SATURDAY

MV5BNzQwZGIxZWItMTVmNi00MDZmLTgzOTctYzVh

The first half of our directed by the star double features this weekend, Buck and the Preacher stars Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte.  This is the first film Poitier directed.  As mentioned in the introduction to the month, the Western genre isn't exactly known for being progressive and inclusive.  Buck and The Preacher was one of the first films that really depicted African American settlement in the West post-Civil War, and one of the few to depict the Native and African Americans working together against the White Settlers.

Fun Fact and interesting tie in to Sergeant Rutledge.  According to Woody Strode: "The big studios wanted an actor like Sidney [Poitier] or [Harry] Belafonte.  And this is not being facetious, but Mr. Ford defended me; and I don't know that this is going on. He said, "Well, they're not tough enough to do what I want Sergeant Rutledge to be."

SUNDAY

pale_rider_1985_original_film_art_f_1200

Directed and Starring Clint Eastwood, we have another story about a Preacher.  This time the "mysterious preacher (Clint Eastwood) protects a humble prospector village from a greedy mining company trying to encroach on their land."

• Like 1

CRIME FILMS

Before we took a detour through the American West, we originally planned to schedule "Crime Films Cap Has Never Seen" with Heat being our 100th film.  Everyone generously pushed things back for the Western List, so now we're back on schedule with our criminally good line up.  Or so I've heard. 😘

WEDNESDAY

AUGUST 18

new-jack-city-vintage-movie-poster-origi

Perhaps best known for the Crying Wesley Snipes.gif, New Jack City follows "a crime lord [as he] ascends to power and becomes a megalomaniacal while a maverick police detective vows to stop him" (IMDb). Starring Wesley Snipes, Ice-T, Allen Payne, Chris Rock, and Judd Nelson. 

SATURDAY

AUGUST 21

the-untouchables-vintage-movie-poster-or

"During the era of Prohibition in the United States, Federal Agent Eliot Ness (Kevin Coster) sets out to stop ruthless Chicago gangster Al Capone (Robert DeNiro) and, because of rampant corruption, assembles a small, hand-picked team to help him" (IMDb).  I know three things about this movie: (1) Brian De Palma ripped off the Battleship Potemkin Stairs Scene for a scene, (2) Sean Connery won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role, and (3) I just watched the Bodyguard, and god I hope Kevin Costner doesn't have a love interest in this. 

WEDNESDAY

AUGUST 25

point-break-vintage-movie-poster-origina

"An FBI Agent (Keanu Reeves) goes undercover to catch a gang of surfers who may be bank robbers (Patrick Swayze, Lori Petty, James LeGros)" (IMDb).  I am really ashamed I have never seen this Kathryn Bigelow film.  I got my Slash Color Glasses READY!!

SATURDAY

AUGUST 28

heat-vintage-movie-poster-original-1-she

"A group of professional bank robbers start to feel the heat from police when they unknowingly leave a clue at their latest heist" (IMDb).  Okay. I am already preparing myself for this THREE HOUR tour de force that combined De Niro and Pacino together for "the first time" (Since they didn't really have any scenes together in Godfather Part II).  Programming Note: Due to its length, we might start this at 12PM or 1PM EST, depending on what the group wants on that week.

WEDNESDAY

SEPTEMBER 1

hardboiled.png?format=2500w

"A tough-as-nailes cop (Chow Yun-fat) teams up with an undercover agent (Tony Leung) to shut down a sinister mobster and his crew" (IMDb). Let's get HYPED for DILF Leung in Shang Chi by watching one of John Woo's best action flicks.

SATURDAY

SEPTEMBER 4

OFF!  Go to Chicago and hang out with everyone at the Music Box!!!

WEDNESDAY

SEPTEMBER 8

51MA27bM9TL._AC_.jpg

"A fearless Secret Service agent (William Peterson, aka Gil from CSI) will stop at nothing to bring down the counterfeiter who killed his partner" (IMDb).  I know nothing about movie expect that DAFOE is in it.  (echos until fades: DAFOE Dafoe dafoe)

SATURDAY

SEPTEMBER 11

51gzeldRkzL._AC_.jpg

"A psychopathic criminal (James Cagney) with a mother complex makes a daring break from prison and leads his old gang in a chemical plant payroll heist" (IMDb).  Look Ma! Top of the World -- and that's certainly what Cagney was at WB when he was making his classic gangster films.

WEDNESDAY

SEPTEMBER 15

941ce63d7c7f0fe14a8557549eaaa227.png

"An unethical lawyer (John Garfield) with an old brother he wants to help (Thomas Gomez), becomes a partner with a client in the numbers racket" (IMDb).  This is a cheat. I have seen this one.  But it's one that Marty LOOOOOOOOOOOOVES and considers it huge influence of his work, which leads me to...

SATURDAY

SEPTEMBER 18

ef4b93ef8f7157de3f97ae1ff5d21b56_0526bb9

"The story of Henry Hill (Ray Liotta) and his life in the mob, covering his relationship with his wife Karen Hill (Lorraine Bracco) and his mob partners Jimmy Conway (Robert De Niro) and Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci) in the Italian-American crime syndicate" (IMDb).  So the rule of thumb around here is "No Spielberg, no Lucas, No Scorsese", but we broke that for the Spielberg Countdown by showing Duel, and tossed on THX 1138 for funsies, so it only makes sense we give Marty the same Hall Pass with his best? film.  

• Like 1

SPOOKTOBER 2021

So first I want to say I apologize about some of the confusion on scheduling in the past couple of weeks.  The change of seasons always kicks my ass (Thanks S.A.D.!), so if I've been moody or flaky lately, that's why, and I apologize if it inconvenienced any of you.  And I want to thank @4815162342 and @Rorschach for all the great suggestions this month.  It's October, so you know what that means:

suspiria-59d5dea08661d.jpg

October 6 | Suspiria [1977]

VWTq3Jj8sRVzuNKPxavVacD9r7-RJpQguSttUGpQ

October 9 | Blood & Black Lace [1964]

XLJG3ym872tfMmcTfy7mJJZWlY2azIMW7DM9hm3Q

October 13 | The Last Wave [1977]

61Hv9fvVTiL._AC_.jpg

October 16 | Carnival of Souls [1962]

MV5BYTExYjM3MDYtMzg4MC00MjU4LTljZjAtYzdl

October 19 | Invasion of The Body Snatchers [1956]

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

October 23 | The Fog [1980]

347932_poster_l.jpg

October 27 | An American Werewolf in London [1981]

51Xx14C6BOL._AC_.jpg

October 30 | Diabolique [1955] 

• Like 3

NOVEMBER 3

MV5BMTkwOTQ4OTg0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQy

TRAIN TO BUSAN

To get properly hyped for Eteranals, we schedule this modern zombie classic.  Was not expecting to cry!

#RIPDEANSTOCKWELL

The definition of the most iconic sci-fi character actor, maybe ever, we're going to be honoring a legend on Wednesday. Whether you loved him as the kid in Anchors Aweigh, AI in Quantum Leap, [insert any movie ever], or a personal favorite of mine Number One on BSG, he's been in everything.  He was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in Married To The Mob, so that's our selection!

NOVEMBER 10

MV5BYzY3ZWJmZjctY2U1Ni00NmRjLWI5YjQtMzk2

MARRIED TO THE MOB

The rest of the schedule will be up by the end of the week.

• Like 1

NOVEMBER SCHEDULE

p8357_p_v10_aa.jpg

Nov 17

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

The Avengers before the Avengers.  "Adventurer, brain surgeon, rock musician Buckaroo Banzai and his crime-fighting team, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil alien invaders from the eighth dimension who are planning to conquer Earth."  Featuring the amazing cast of Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Ellen Barkin, Christopher Lloyd AND Jeff Goldblum.

CmSfj4vUBaug0bCDDTsYNhY-gHdi5FCXsnWYYcTA

Nov 20

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

In this John Hughes classic, Steve Martin actually WANTS to spend Thanksgiving with his family. What a shock!  I know!  The 80s were such a trip. He teams up with John Candy as they struggle to travel back from Chicago to New York in time.

MARTY DOUBLE FEATURE

--> DON'T FORGET TO SUBMIT YOUR LISTTO ERIC'S MARTY COUNTDOWN <--

new-york-new-york-vintage-movie-poster-o

Nov 24

New York, New York

Looking for a cool down project from Taxi Driver, Martin Scorsese directs his first and only musical, a homage to the Classical MGM Style he grew up loving.  While Robert DeNiro's sax playing Jimmy Doyle is not where as charming as Gene Kelly, it doesn't really matter cause: BITCH, GIRL, OMG THIS MOVIE IS JUST TWO HOURS OF LIIIIIIIIIZA WITH A ZZZZZ CHANNELLING HER MOTHER.  SHE IS SO. GOD. DAMN. GOOD. IN THIS.

Also I'm pulling this out of my private collection since it's not available to rent or stream anywhere.  So if you're looking to complete your Marty Odyssey, be here or be square.

p20349_p_v10_ad.jpg

Nov 27

Kundun

"From childhood to adulthood, Tibet's fourteenth Dalai Lama deals with Chinese oppression and other problems."

Sorry to announce that I'm postponing these for the rest of the year.  We'll start back up in January!  These have absolutely been the highlight of my week for the past year, and I look forward to starting back up in in January.