Cap

FILM CLUB: Postponed to January

Programming Note!

Hello! Update for Singin' In the Rain/October 31. Two things:

As expected, I am going to be working at the Clerk's Office that Day. We're going 9AM to 5PM. So I can't show it in the afternoon. Which means we can either do what we did before with Monday 10PM EST - That would be November 2nd -- (that seemed to work out for a bunch of folks) or we'll have to do like Saturday at 6 or 7PM EST.

Also, because my film class schedule went from 1 to 3 movies a week, this week is crazy tight. We talked about how we're going to switch from Singin' In The Rain to Master and Commander (which is one of the films I have to watch that week and the whole group last night seemed jazzed for it. We'll do Singin' In The Rain on that Wednesday, since the whole "fuck the outside world, let's watch Cap's favorite escapism movie" still applies since states will still be counting ballots. LOLOL.

Thanks!

So the new schedule is:

October 21: The Pit and The Pendulum / It's a Good Life
October 24: The Blob / The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street
October 28: Ace In The Hole
October 31 or November 2: Master and Commander
November 4: Singin' In The Rain

• Like 1

If there is a film that is the deninitionb of "So Bad It's Actally Entertaining" it's "THe Blob".

I really think the filmmakers were definently tongue in cheek when they made this;I think the Songe over the Credits shows that.

And of course it's fun to see a VERY young Steve McQueen in his first leading role.

• Like 1

"Ace In The Hole" IMHO, ib Billy WIdler's best film, and Kirk Douglas's best performance.

It was a flop when ti came out,and I suspect would do the same today...it is simply too dark and savage a satire for a mass audeince to ever accept. I don't think I have ever seen such a cynical view of  humsnity ind general. Every person in the film is corrupted by the time it ends.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wait, what happened to Singin in the Rain? The zoom meeting hadn't started yet when I checked and I waited for a while but nothing happened.

I kind of forgot about it and everyone was stressing and we just didn’t do it. I’m sorry I didn’t post it here I totally spaced out. But we are absolutely doing something on Saturday. I will post the November schedule tomorrow

• Like 3

Tomorrow at 2pm EST...

お早う、ってなぜ言うの?」|DRIP TRIP|note

Yasujiro Ozu's

GOOD MORNING

When @Cap asked for my feel-good movie for Wondyful Projections, I kept in mind that most of the films screened here are films released prior to the 1980s. When I then looked over my long-time feel-good movies, there were only three real options (as my classic film literacy needs quite some work). However, I figured everyone here has seen His Girl Friday and The Sound of Music; so I went with something a bit more obscure and just an absolute delight, Yasujiro Ozu's Good Morning.

Good Morning (1959) | The Criterion Collection

Good Morning is about two boys who enter a vow of silence against all adults until their parents buy them a TV set. There's a lot more to the movie too; a squabble over dues for the women's club being the main subplot, but when it comes down to it, this is a realistic comedy full of fun gags and with a lovely childlike perspective. I first saw Good Morning in my freshman year of high school in my Japanese class, and I instantly found it one of the most memorable films I've seen screened in school, full of great humor, heart, and pure charm (and also farts). When it came to choosing a film for this, it instantly came to mind as one I doubt many here have seen, but I imagine most will find something to really appreciate in. 

Good Morning will screen tomorrow, November 7 at 2PM EST.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 3

NOVEMBER SCHEDULE

So for November and December, the group's selected some of their favorite old movies.

Gun_Crazy_(1950_poster).jpg

Nov 14

Gun Crazy

Selected by @Rorschach

51Y5bLmO8RL.jpg

Nov 18

Young Frankenstein

Selected by @4815162342

indecent-proposal-cinema-one-sheet-movie

Nov 21

Indecent Proposal

Selected by @MrPink

51ar3+i0IKL._AC_.jpg

Nov 25

Duel

For @Eric Karga's Spielberg Countdown!  PM him your submissions by November 30!

Only_Angels_Have_Wings_(1939_poster).jpg

Nov 28

Only Angels Have Wings

Selected by @Jake Gittes

• Like 4

“We go together, Laurie. I don't know why. Maybe like guns and ammunition go together.” 

Gun Crazy (or Deadly is the Female) was a film that was shown to me in my Intro to Film Analysis class in my Freshman year of High School. I had no prior knowledge of the film leading up to that class, but after seeing it only once, it became an instant favorite of mine. A B-film crime noir, hailing directly from the era where that genre was in its prime, Gun Crazy follows a gun-obsessed couple who, after falling into financial hardship, decide to take on a life of crime by in a series of interstate robberies. The couple soon finds themselves at odds with each other as the husband, an army veteran who after a traumatic childhood experience swore to never harm another living thing, becomes increasingly disturbed at his wife’s lust for violence. 

For a film that was clearly restricted by the standards of the era, Gun Crazy is a surprisingly sexually charged film, working around the restrictions by having the couple’s mutual love for firearms stand-in for the couple’s sexual desires for each other. Beyond that, it is a massively entertaining thrill ride that’s surprisingly well-made for a lower-budget “B-film”. It also acted as an inspiration for later crime films, such as Bonnie and Clyde (1967). I know @Jake Gittes can vouch for me in saying that this is an underrated gem that deserves to be shown to more people, which is why I chose this as my pick for this month of user’s old favorites.

by @Rorschach

Gun_Crazy_(1950_poster).jpg&key=c5db61d0

The room is open! Please join us!

• Thanks 1

image.jpeg

"When I was a kid, my parents had about 7 VHSs kept around the house to watch. There was Batman, Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, Year of the Dragon, Pretty Woman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and....Indecent Proposal. I gotta be honest, this movie got chosen by process of elimination when Cap gave me the suggestions; something that reminded me of my childhood. It was weirdly the first thing that came to mind that everybody hadn't seen (Year of the Dragon is uh....QUESTIONABLE...regarding its subject matter).

So it's been ages since I've seen this movie but what do I remember? Not much...did you know this movie made 260 million dollars worldwide?! But I do remember it started my love of Woody Harrelson which hasn't really dissipated (VENOM NEXT YEAR WOO). But with Adrian Lyne making a comeback next year with Deep Water, originally supposed to be out now, hey, sure, whatever. More adult films with erotic undertones please. So let's watch this one, even though I desperately wanted to change to something like The Killer which came to my head very much after the fact. Anyways, Robert Redford offers a million dollars to sleep with your wife, what do you do?"

- @MrPink

Join us: 

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5423825182?pwd=T1VuUmJ5OVB1ZjRNQmNHRVpDQ3lkUT09

room opens at 1:50 and we start at about 2:05

Remember that amazing time when George Lucas and Steven Spielberg were considered bold, young filmmakers instead of the old hacks that created the modern blockbuster and thus destroyed adult cinema? Me too!  We got two of their films up this week.  Lucas's THX 1138 is tonight.

Come watch our young Anakin before he turns into Darth Vader.

Cap is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Cap's Personal Meeting Room

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182
Passcode: BOT

• Haha 1

sci fi space GIF by Turner Classic Movies

We’re going to start Duel in half an hour. Let’s see if it lives up to the hilariously idiosyncratic THX 1138. 

Topic: Cap's Personal Meeting Room

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182
Passcode: BOT

from @Eric Karga:

One of the many interesting things about Steven Spielberg is the debate over what his actual first film was. There's 1964's Firelight, but that was made when he was 17 and it's now lost to the sands of time. There's also 1974's The Sugarland Express, which was the first film of his to get a worldwide theatrical release. But with a release overseas, as well as a sharp cinematic value, what I consider Spielberg's first movie is the 1971 title Duel.

Intended as a TV Movie of the Week, this cat and mouse feature was made on a shoestring budget and was used as a way to make Spielberg prove himself. If he can make something cinematic and engaging for the small screen on an inexpensive feature, he could surely do amazing things if he had a big budget to play around with. And sure enough, Duel was a success. It was the 18th biggest TV movie that year, earned critical praise, with some stating it is the greatest TV movie ever made, and allowed Spielberg a chance to make his mark. And after a slew of television productions, the man would go on to direct some of the most defining blockbusters and classics of the modern age, and is still a consistent heavy-hitter even today.

I myself haven't seen Duel, and I'm excited to be here to watch this all with you. And don't forget, you have until November 30 to submit your list!

image.jpeg

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 11:04 AM, Ahsoka said:

sci fi space GIF by Turner Classic Movies

We’re going to start Duel in half an hour. Let’s see if it lives up to the hilariously idiosyncratic THX 1138. 

Topic: Cap's Personal Meeting Room

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182
Passcode: BOT

from @Eric Karga:

image.jpeg

Spielberg got to make "DUel" because he directed some very successful "Colombo" episode; those marked him as a young director to watch.

the-body-snatcher-boris-karloff-1945-eve

The Body Snatcher (1945)

Originally this was my pick for Halloween / October because it is a horror movie, but my computer went kabooey for a little while ago, so it had to wait till December while it was getting repaired. This is one of those films I ran across about over a decade ago, while searching random filmographies on the internet and was beyond pleasantly surprised when I finally sat down to watch it. Based off a Robert Louis Stevenson story loosely inspired by the Burke and Hare murders, that I remember reading in Jr. High, The Body Snatcher features one of Boris Karloff best performances, and roles as a magnetic but despicable villain that you just love to hate in a Scottish set tail involving grave robbers, blackmail, and revenge among other things.

Directed by Robert Wise in only his third feature, and last with famed horror genre quickie producer Val Lewton, The Body Snatcher is a compelling, sometimes even funny tale involving straight-up villainy, and has plenty of atmosphere to offer. The cast features a “who’s who” of Hollywood character actors including Henry Daniell, Rita Cordray, Russell Wade, and Bela Lugosi in a small role, who would share the screen for the last time with Boris Karloff, in the films only real disappointing aspect for me. With a runtime of just 78 minutes, the movie is remarkably engrossing from beginning to end. It’s not surprising at all after watching it, why Wise went on to become of the steady big journeymen directors in Hollywood for the next two decades, based off the movie alone he has a great eye for the camera.  - @Fancyarcher

The Room Is Alive:

Topic: Cap's Personal Meeting Room

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182
Passcode: BOT

• Like 2