Cap

FILM CLUB: Postponed to January

23 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Ah man just realised this clashes with my work schedule. But hopefully when I'm on leave and this keeps going I can join.

We're going to start about 10 minutes late if that helps!

FEATURE PRESENTATIONS

1200px-Sunset_Boulevard_(1950_poster).jp

MONDAY, AUGUST 10, 2020

10:00PM EST

2:00AM GST

07:30AM IST

11:00PM KST

15:00 / 3:00PM NZDT

19:00 / 7:00PM PST

The film follows the doomed relationship between Joe Gillis, an out-of-work screenwriter (William Holden, with the perfect mix of warmth and self-loathing), and Norma Desmond, a famous actress of yesteryears (Gloria Swanson, living on the edge of madness in one of the best performance ever. EVER.).  And, then, then there's Max, "the butler role" as Eric Von Stroheim, the actor who played him, called it. (whispers) It's so much more.  If you liked Double Indemnity, you should drive on over to Billy Wilder's masterpiece, located at 10086... SUNSET BOULEVARD.

ckvah-RH44B8DSWRP-Full-Image_GalleryBack

In honor of the 70th Anniversary of basically my favorite film of all time, we're having special screening on Monday Night.  I mean, who doesn't want to watch the film that’s part gothic horror, part tragic romance, and complete savage expose of the Studio System?  Louis B Mayer watched it in a private screening, and told Billy Wilder that "You have disgraced the industry that made and fed you.  You should be tarred, feathered, and sent back to Austria." To which Wilder replied: "I'm Mr. Wilder, and you can go fuck yourself."

Sunset4-1024x687.jpg

What else is there to SAY?

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5423825182?pwd=T1VuUmJ5OVB1ZjRNQmNHRVpDQ3lkUT09

The link is live.  

• Like 1

Hey Everyone!  So work went from zero to 88mph this week.  There will be no weekday showing (since we did it on Monday).  We're skipping right to Saturday.  So the Upcoming Schedule is:

AUGUST 15, 2020

MODERN TIMES

il_570xN.1546317831_ii7m.jpg

Log Line:

The Tramp struggles to live in modern industrial society with the help of a young homeless woman.

Written, Directed, and Produced By Charlie Chaplin

AUGUST 20

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

The_Bad_and_the_Beautiful_(1952_poster).

Log Line:

An unscrupulous movie producer uses an actress, a director and a writer to achieve success.

Written by Charless Schnee, Directed by Vincente Minnelli

AUGUST 22, 2020

GENE KELLY BIRTHDAY BASH.

staring in love GIF

So, August 23, 2020 would be Gene Kelly's 108th Birthday.  In celebration, the hell with the TCM Schedule.  We're watching a Musical.  I'm going to go off the assumption most folks have see Singin' In The Rain.  (If that's not the case, that's the auto win.  And in the chat, we can talk about how it's Sunset Blvd's Good Twin.). But in case everyone has watched SITR, I have four other options:

an american in paris GIF

An American In Paris - 1952 - Directed by Vincente Minnelli.  Won seven Oscars including Best Picture and an Honorary Oscar for Gene Kelly choreography.  Kelly plays... An American In Paris after WWII.  Features Gershwin music. (I'm gonna be honest, it's not my #Fave, but he's so pretty in it.)

93f4d6a00822b784156576ef5e029c106b779997

Bridagoon - 1954 - Directed by Vincente Minnelli.  Based on a garage Lerner and Loewe musical, this lush (seriously, so much greens) adaptation smartly focuses on turning this into more into a ballet instead of a musical.  Kelly play a New Yorker in Scotland who stumble upon a town that only appears every 100 years, and falls in love with a local lass (THE AMAZING CYD CHARISSE)

happy judy garland GIF

The Pirate - 1949 - Directed by Vincente Minnelli.  Kelly plays a total creep, who's also an Actor In a Touring Troupe, that stalks Judy Garland a Caribbean Island.  Music By Cole Porter.  Nicholas Brothers Number!  Look, I'm just gonna be straight up here.  It's both utterly terrible and a camp masterpiece.  @Jake Gittes and I will probably find a way to make this win, but I'm at least pretending to play fair!

gene-dig-5-1507774611.gif

Summer Stock - 1950 - Directed by Charles Walters.  Gene Kelly plays a director of a theater company that puts on a backyard musical in Judy Garland's barn.  Judy sings Get Happy.  Gene dances with a newspaper.   It's 1000x than the log line.  Honestly my favorite Kelly performance.

Poll is open.  We'll decide basically the day of.

45 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

what the hell

The first 30 minutes are super problematic garbage; the middle 30 are super sexy fun times; the last 30 is divine madness. I stand by what I said, lol. 

• Disbelief 1

On 8/12/2020 at 5:16 AM, Cap said:

The first 30 minutes are super problematic garbage; the middle 30 are super sexy fun times; the last 30 is divine madness. I stand by what I said, lol. 

"The Pirate" is not for everybody.it's very much a matter of taste.

The classic MGM musical I would like to see on the big screen is "The Bandwagon". The Film Noir/Mickey Spilane "Girl Hunt" ballet that is the climax is sheer genius.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, Cap said:

FEATURE PRESENTATIONS

1200px-Sunset_Boulevard_(1950_poster).jp

MONDAY, AUGUST 10, 2020

10:00PM EST

2:00AM GST

07:30AM IST

11:00PM KST

15:00 / 3:00PM NZDT

19:00 / 7:00PM PST

The film follows the doomed relationship between Joe Gillis, an out-of-work screenwriter (William Holden, with the perfect mix of warmth and self-loathing), and Norma Desmond, a famous actress of yesteryears (Gloria Swanson, living on the edge of madness in one of the best performance ever. EVER.).  And, then, then there's Max, "the butler role" as Eric Von Stroheim, the actor who played him, called it. (whispers) It's so much more.  If you liked Double Indemnity, you should drive on over to Billy Wilder's masterpiece, located at 10086... SUNSET BOULEVARD.

ckvah-RH44B8DSWRP-Full-Image_GalleryBack

In honor of the 70th Anniversary of basically my favorite film of all time, we're having special screening on Monday Night.  I mean, who doesn't want to watch the film that’s part gothic horror, part tragic romance, and complete savage expose of the Studio System?  Louis B Mayer watched it in a private screening, and told Billy Wilder that "You have disgraced the industry that made and fed you.  You should be tarred, feathered, and sent back to Austria." To which Wilder replied: "I'm Mr. Wilder, and you can go fuck yourself."

Sunset4-1024x687.jpg

What else is there to SAY?

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5423825182?pwd=T1VuUmJ5OVB1ZjRNQmNHRVpDQ3lkUT09

The link is live.  

That final close up of Norma Desmond is one of the most disturbing and scary images in film history. Probably overall Billly Wilder's best film,with "Ace In the Hole" a close second.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

That final close up of Norma Desmond is one of the most disturbing and scary images in film history. Probably overall Billly Wilder's best film,with "Ace In the Hole" a close second.

Iconic scene but for me his best is The Apartment with maybe Ace In The Hole second.  But one is spoiled for choice.

That was a fantastic and unexpectedly powerful film today. Will be joining next week too (voted for Singin in the Rain but since I can easily watch it on HBO Max, I changed my vote to The Pirate). Since we started at 3pm today and 4 last Saturday, I was wondering if we could change next Saturday's timing to 3:30pm EDT or something though. 

• Like 2

Coming up tomorrow... THE GETAWAY, from 1972. Steve McQueen, Ali McGraw, written by Walter Hill (based on Jim Thompson's novel), music by Quincy Jones(!), and of course directed by Sam Peckinpah.

A recently released ex-con and his loyal wife go on the run after a heist goes awry.

img01.jpg

TimeOUT London says "An evident precursor to The Driver (Walter Hill scripted both, this one from Jim Thompson's novel). The major strength of The Getaway rests solidly on McQueen's central role, a cold tense core of pragmatic violence. Hounded by furies (two mobs, police, a hostile landscape), he responds with a lethal control, blasting his way through shootouts that teeter on madness to the loot, the girl, and Peckinpah's mythic land of Mexico. Survival, purification, and the attainment of grace are achieved only by an extreme commitment to the Peckinpah existential ideal of action - a man is what he does."

Variety said that the film involved a lot of "seedy sadism" and parts of it descended into "vulgar overexploitation". :lol:

Vincent Canby of the New York Times sniffed that "The action and the violence of "The Getaway" are supported by no particular themes whatsoever." :lol:

If you've seen some of Peckinpah's movies or know a bit about him, then my little summary will be redundant, and so I apologize in advance. But if you aren't familiar with him... he came out of TV Westerns in the late 50s and early 60s, and whether he fully understood it or not, he was fascinated by masculinity and the frontiers of society and the myths involved with such. Diving into exploring all this, deconstructing it all, laying it all bare, he essentially became that himself -- a self-destructive, hard-drinking man who ultimately destroyed himself, his friends, and his allies, but who was occasionally sober enough (especially in the earlier years of his career) to make compelling, amazing, ARTY movies about violence and men who commit violence and their place in society. By the time of THE GETAWAY he was coming down off the high of THE WILD BUNCH and would barely last through the end of the decade before dying in Inglewood in 1984 at the ripe old age of 59.

During his active years, there wasn't really anyone else like him in the studio system, who could made seedy, occasionally nasty brooding movies with moments of "extreme" violence, which also had poetry and grandeur, but bared the ugly layers of relationships that these violent men had with each other and their girlfriends and spouses. He made movies that skirted (and occasionally fell into) exploitation but managed to star big names: William Holden, McQueen, Charlton Heston, Kris Kristofferson, etc.

I hope y'all check out the Projection Room tomorrow for THE GETAWAY. :) Some shit goes down.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

30 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Coming up tomorrow... THE GETAWAY, from 1972. Steve McQueen, Ali McGraw, written by Walter Hill (based on Jim Thompson's novel), music by Quincy Jones(!), and of course directed by Sam Peckinpah.

A recently released ex-con and his loyal wife go on the run after a heist goes awry.

img01.jpg

TimeOUT London says "An evident precursor to The Driver (Walter Hill scripted both, this one from Jim Thompson's novel). The major strength of The Getaway rests solidly on McQueen's central role, a cold tense core of pragmatic violence. Hounded by furies (two mobs, police, a hostile landscape), he responds with a lethal control, blasting his way through shootouts that teeter on madness to the loot, the girl, and Peckinpah's mythic land of Mexico. Survival, purification, and the attainment of grace are achieved only by an extreme commitment to the Peckinpah existential ideal of action - a man is what he does."

Variety said that the film involved a lot of "seedy sadism" and parts of it descended into "vulgar overexploitation". :lol:

Vincent Canby of the New York Times sniffed that "The action and the violence of "The Getaway" are supported by no particular themes whatsoever." :lol:

If you've seen some of Peckinpah's movies or know a bit about him, then my little summary will be redundant, and so I apologize in advance. But if you aren't familiar with him... he came out of TV Westerns in the late 50s and early 60s, and whether he fully understood it or not, he was fascinated by masculinity and the frontiers of society and the myths involved with such. Diving into exploring all this, deconstructing it all, laying it all bare, he essentially became that himself -- a self-destructive, hard-drinking man who ultimately destroyed himself, his friends, and his allies, but who was occasionally sober enough (especially in the earlier years of his career) to make compelling, amazing, ARTY movies about violence and men who commit violence and their place in society. By the time of THE GETAWAY he was coming down off the high of THE WILD BUNCH and would barely last through the end of the decade before dying in Inglewood in 1984 at the ripe old age of 59.

During his active years, there wasn't really anyone else like him in the studio system, who could made seedy, occasionally nasty brooding movies with moments of "extreme" violence, which also had poetry and grandeur, but bared the ugly layers of relationships that these violent men had with each other and their girlfriends and spouses. He made movies that skirted (and occasionally fell into) exploitation but managed to star big names: William Holden, McQueen, Charlton Heston, Kris Kristofferson, etc.

I hope y'all check out the Projection Room tomorrow for THE GETAWAY. :) Some shit goes down.

I'm way late to all of this, but looks like a lot of fun. Is the time 10 EST?

53 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

What happened to The Bad and the Beautiful? Why the change?

57 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

I'm way late to all of this, but looks like a lot of fun. Is the time 10 EST?

Yes. 10EST and it is fun!

35 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

What happened to The Bad and the Beautiful? Why the change?

Each film stays on TCM OnDemand For a random amount of time. It’s usually either one week, two weeks, or a month depending on the movie. And sometimes it doesn’t even show up at all. The Steve McQueen movies were only good for a week. TBATB Is good to September 10. So it got pushed back to next week

• Like 1

So, um, I don't even know.  

I think like most of you, I'm not really processing Chadwick Boseman's passing.  We're going to do an honorary screening of 42.

99536.jpg

Start time will be Monday 6PM EST.  

😭

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

@Fancyarcher @Rorschach @Blankments @4815162342 @Plain Old Tele @terrestrial 
@TwoMisfits @gadd @Darth Lehnsherr

So.  My schedule is all fucked up right now.

We have tickets to see Kyle Taylor Parker  at the Playhouse tonight. But it’s raining, and it was supposed to be an outside event. They are claiming they’re not going to cancel things, because they’re supposed to be a break in the weather between literally the two hours when our show is that which is 4PM.

But they also might cancel things, and then postpone it till tomorrow.

So right now there’s basically two options. Or a third.

1. We push the showing back to like 7:30 PM Eastern.

2. We push the showing back to tomorrow at 3 PM.

3. I can open the zoom room, but someone else is probably gonna have to show the picture. (Zoom it doesn’t do unlimited call time over three people unless you have a paid pro account, so we probably have to use mine. Unless someone has that)

• Like 2