Wondy

CPWP | Saturday 2PM | His Girl Friday

Quick programming update! We’re going to switch out Gaslight and picnic at hanging rock. So we’re gonna do Gaslight this week, With picnic on the weekend.

Wednesday is the debate, so we’re going to have to schedule around that. I put up a poll for whatever folks want to do. I’ll probably close it on like Monday night

Blu-ray for The Train (which we watched) coming out next year

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1

The Manchurian candidate got pushed back to Monday at 10 PM. Thank you

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:18 AM, Cap said:

The Manchurian candidate got pushed back to Monday at 10 PM. Thank you

The idea offa  US President being the tool of a hostile foreign power is more revelent today then ever.

it slso gives Angela Lansbury a chance to be REALLY evil.

The remake  is not worth seeing.

Edited by dudalb

Programming Note!

Hello! Update for Singin' In the Rain/October 31. Two things:

As expected, I am going to be working at the Clerk's Office that Day. We're going 9AM to 5PM. So I can't show it in the afternoon. Which means we can either do what we did before with Monday 10PM EST - That would be November 2nd -- (that seemed to work out for a bunch of folks) or we'll have to do like Saturday at 6 or 7PM EST.

Also, because my film class schedule went from 1 to 3 movies a week, this week is crazy tight. We talked about how we're going to switch from Singin' In The Rain to Master and Commander (which is one of the films I have to watch that week and the whole group last night seemed jazzed for it. We'll do Singin' In The Rain on that Wednesday, since the whole "fuck the outside world, let's watch Cap's favorite escapism movie" still applies since states will still be counting ballots. LOLOL.

Thanks!

So the new schedule is:

October 21: The Pit and The Pendulum / It's a Good Life
October 24: The Blob / The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street
October 28: Ace In The Hole
October 31 or November 2: Master and Commander
November 4: Singin' In The Rain

• Like 1

If there is a film that is the deninitionb of "So Bad It's Actally Entertaining" it's "THe Blob".

I really think the filmmakers were definently tongue in cheek when they made this;I think the Songe over the Credits shows that.

And of course it's fun to see a VERY young Steve McQueen in his first leading role.

• Like 1

"Ace In The Hole" IMHO, ib Billy WIdler's best film, and Kirk Douglas's best performance.

It was a flop when ti came out,and I suspect would do the same today...it is simply too dark and savage a satire for a mass audeince to ever accept. I don't think I have ever seen such a cynical view of  humsnity ind general. Every person in the film is corrupted by the time it ends.

• Like 1

Wait, what happened to Singin in the Rain? The zoom meeting hadn't started yet when I checked and I waited for a while but nothing happened.

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wait, what happened to Singin in the Rain? The zoom meeting hadn't started yet when I checked and I waited for a while but nothing happened.

I kind of forgot about it and everyone was stressing and we just didn’t do it. I’m sorry I didn’t post it here I totally spaced out. But we are absolutely doing something on Saturday. I will post the November schedule tomorrow

• Like 3

Tomorrow at 2pm EST...

お早う、ってなぜ言うの?」|DRIP TRIP|note

Yasujiro Ozu's

GOOD MORNING

When @Cap asked for my feel-good movie for Wondyful Projections, I kept in mind that most of the films screened here are films released prior to the 1980s. When I then looked over my long-time feel-good movies, there were only three real options (as my classic film literacy needs quite some work). However, I figured everyone here has seen His Girl Friday and The Sound of Music; so I went with something a bit more obscure and just an absolute delight, Yasujiro Ozu's Good Morning.

Good Morning (1959) | The Criterion Collection

Good Morning is about two boys who enter a vow of silence against all adults until their parents buy them a TV set. There's a lot more to the movie too; a squabble over dues for the women's club being the main subplot, but when it comes down to it, this is a realistic comedy full of fun gags and with a lovely childlike perspective. I first saw Good Morning in my freshman year of high school in my Japanese class, and I instantly found it one of the most memorable films I've seen screened in school, full of great humor, heart, and pure charm (and also farts). When it came to choosing a film for this, it instantly came to mind as one I doubt many here have seen, but I imagine most will find something to really appreciate in. 

Good Morning will screen tomorrow, November 7 at 2PM EST.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 3