Cap

FILM CLUB: Postponed to January

On 3/1/2021 at 9:32 AM, Cap said:

HELLZAPOPPPIN'

s-l1600.jpg

MARCH 20, 2021

@Jake Gittes suggested this surrealist comedy from 1941, about a "Olsen and Johnson, a pair of stage comedians, try to turn their play into a movie and bring together a young couple in love, while breaking the fourth wall every step of the way." (IMDb). Also has a VERY famous Lindy Hop.

Drop by for this tomorrow, folks. Aside from the deservedly famous Lindy Hop, it's got vaudeville, anarchy, horniness, musical numbers, Tele-worthy puns, more meta layers than you can count, and the world's first Citizen Kane reference. So something for everyone. It's one of the wildest most inventive comedies ever made. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Drop by for this tomorrow, folks. Aside from the deservedly famous Lindy Hop, it's got vaudeville, anarchy, horniness, musical numbers, Tele-worthy puns, more meta layers than you can count, and the world's first Citizen Kane reference. So something for everyone. It's one of the wildest most inventive comedies ever made. 

I’m going to have to find a way to watch on my own, since alas— I can’t make tomorrow. 

• Sad 2

@Cap is slammed with work and life right now, so here's the rest of our April schedule (and the very beginning of May). 

(THE REST OF) APRIL SCHEDULE

Rounding out the rest of our Oscar celebration month....

cabaret%20poster.jpg

CABARET

April 21, 2021 / 9:30PM EST

Based on the 1966 Broadway musical (in turn based on the autobiographical stories by Christopher Isherwood), and directed by Bob Fosse, CABARET is set in Berlin in 1931. The hedonistic and freelovin' days of the Weimar Republic were a haven for gay and bisexual people, but dark days were on the horizon as fascism began to emerge. CABARET follows singer/dancer Sally Bowles and her relationship with two men -- which becomes a polyamorous relationship between all three. 

CABARET won eight Academy Awards, including Best Director, Best Actress (Liza Minnelli), Best Supporting Actor (Joel Grey), Best Editing, Best Art Direction, and others, yet lost Best Picture to THE GODFATHER.

images-w1400.jpg

THE THIRD MAN

April 24, 2021 / 2:00PM EST

One of the more famous late '40s noirs, THE THIRD MAN stars Joseph Cotten as an American who shows up in post-WWII expecting to have a job lined up by his old friend, only to discover that his friend died under mysterious circumstances. He decides to investigate even though everyone (including the various international police forces) encourages him not to.

THE THIRD MAN was written by Graham Greene (based on his novel) and directed by Carol Reed. It won an Academy Award for its stunning cinematography (which makes frequent use of Dutch angles), it features an unsettling and jaunty zither score by Anton Karas, and it also has one of Orson Welles' most famous speeches.

The+Heiress+poster.jpg

THE HEIRESS

April 28, 2021 / 9:30PM EST

THE HEIRESS, based on the 1947 play, stars Olivia De Havilland as a young woman who falls for a handsome young man (Montgomery Clift) even though her abusive father (Ralph Richardson) thinks he's just after her money. It was directed by William Wyler (coming off his highly personal movie THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES).

It won four Academy Awards, including Best Actress, and helped establish Montgomery Clift as a major new star.

s-l1000.jpg

WITNESS

May 1, 2021 / 2:00PM EST

We're going to start May with a Harrison Ford double-feature. First up is WITNESS, directed by the always-amazing Peter Weir, starring Ford as a Philadelphia detective who goes undercover in an Amish community to protect a young Amish boy who witnessed a murder. Along the way he falls in love with an Amish woman played by Kelly MacGillis. It has a wonderful score by Maurice Jarré and lush cinematography by multiple Oscar-winner John Seale (The English Patient, Mad Max: Fury Road).

And for our second Ford feature, on a special day...

kCDefaef7xyjIAl7qIWwU0Q1o4c.jpg

STAR WARS

Tuesday May 4 , 2021 / 9:30PM EST

May the Fourth be with us. This is not A NEW HOPE -- we'll be showing the Star Wars that came out in 1977. There is no Skywalker saga, Vader is not Luke's father, Leia is not Luke's sister, and Jabba the Hutt does not show up. As best as I could find, this is as close as we can get to the 1977 experience. In many ways, this means the movie looks "not as good" as all the remastered versions -- it looks like a film from the late 1970s. Personally, I find watching it kind of fascinating -- it both feels very much of its time and in a way that makes how it looks and feels even more remarkable, because it's head-and-shoulders a different experience from watching other 1970s blockbusters.

STAR WARS won seven Academy Awards (all for the "technical categories"), including a special achievement award for Ben Burtt.

• Like 6

Hey Everyone!

We always kind of intended this as a thing to do during the Lockdowns/Pandemic, but my movie theater is preeminently closed so I'm game to keep going.  I do know that with the nicer weather/change of season, that usually means schedules challenge.  I posted a new survey about the days and times for this going forward in May. Please response and comment if you can.  Thanks!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cap said:

Hey Everyone!

We always kind of intended this as a thing to do during the Lockdowns/Pandemic, but my movie theater is preeminently closed so I'm game to keep going.  I do know that with the nicer weather/change of season, that usually means schedules challenge.  I posted a new survey about the days and times for this going forward in May. Please response and comment if you can.  Thanks!

Unfortunately weekdays won’t work for me in May (except for the first few days). I’ll have to be weekends only, at least until June. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mango said:

Is this the Despecialized Edition of Star Wars by any chance? 

No, although that’s awesome. The Despecialized Edition did a lot of cleanup and noise reduction and the like — typical restoration stuff (which I’m all for). But the edition I found is a much “purer” raw version intended to show (as much as possible) what it would’ve looked like in 1977. 

• Like 4

MAY SCHEDULE

[Note: All the of background info videos contain SPOILERS, if you haven't seen the movie.]

Mildred_Pierce_(1945_poster).jpg

MILDRED PIERCE

WEDNESDAY MAY 12

Happy Belated Mother's Day!  Don't let this being classified as a "women's picture" fool you, based on a story by James M. Cain (aka the author of Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice), this is stylish noir about family, greed, and murder.  No joke, I think Veda might be the greatest screen villain of all time.

Also for some extra drama:

The_Maltese_Falcon_(1941_film_poster).jp

MALTESE FALCON

SATURDAY MAY 15

"Uh... It's the stuff that dreams are made of."

conan-the-barbarian-vintage-movie-poster

CONAN THE BARBARIAN

WEDNESDAY MAY 19

ARNOLD!  Experience the cheesy terrible movie that launched ARNOLD into movie stardom.

MV5BMTUzMTY0Nzg0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU3

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK

SATURDAY MAY 22

Follow Snake (Kurt Russell) on a suicide mission to save the President Of the United States from the cyberpunk, authoritarian, nightmare dystopia that's New York City in John Carpenter's cult classic.

81gdlQA4r4L._AC_SY741_.jpg

NIGHT AT THE OPERA

WEDNESDAY MAY 26

A Marx Brothers classic.

(I couldn't find one on Night At The Opera, but this is a good overview of their work.)

Movie_Poster_-_Steve_McQueen_Bullitt_-_H

BULLITT

SATURDAY MAY 29

So in honor of me FINALLY getting my Mustang, we're gonna watch the greatest film car chase of all time (Are those fighting words? Has Ronan and The Italian Job just entered the chat?)  It's also a pretty good 1970s cop drama starting Steven McQueen in his most iconic role.

• Like 5