Cap

FILM CLUB: Postponed to January

5 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

I'll be at work tomorrow, so I sadly can't make it. Just know that I'll be there in spirit.

Do you want to do it on Monday? It was your suggestion. It feels weird not having you there.

11 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

I actually don't have work on Monday, so that would be the perfect day to do it for me if today can't happen.

We will move it to Monday at 6PM EST

@Fancyarcher @Rorschach @Blankments @4815162342 @Plain Old Tele @terrestrial 
@TwoMisfits @gadd @Darth Lehnsherr @Eric #RIPChadwick @lorddemaxus 

• Like 6

A few probably rather stupid questions:

does Zoom give e.g. data to google?

How is their privacy, security,...?

I am (outside of BOT) usually a bit on the better ‘too’ secure (as that is still not secure), and the ‘I do not like google/Facebook....’ side, than the other way around.

Movie over zoom, does that mean we all see/speak to each other too or is it still in writing? Like e.g. as I trained my English mostly myself, its probably difficult to understand for others if I try to speak it and so on. I am usually way better in writing than in speaking, as I can focus a bit better on finding the words, I very very rarely speak in English, in especially the last 10 to 15 years.

So, for the ones who want to watch something with him before Monday, just found this at Deadline.

TBS plans Saturday and Sunday airings of Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther as a tribute to the late star.

Boseman played the title role in the film, which was as much a cultural touchstone as a super hero movie. He appeared in five films in the Black Panther role, including Avengers: End Game, the highest-grossing film of all-time.

The film is also available for viewing on streaming platform Disney+.

TBS will air the film Saturday, Aug. 29 from 9 PM to midnight ET/PT, and again Sunday Aug. 30 from 8 PM to 11 PM ET/PT.

acc Wikipedia that station has over 90 million paying subscribers, so a few here might be able to use it?

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

A few probably rather stupid questions:

does Zoom give e.g. data to google?

How is their privacy, security,...?

I am (outside of BOT) usually a bit on the better ‘too’ secure (as that is still not secure), and the ‘I do not like google/Facebook....’ side, than the other way around.

Movie over zoom, does that mean we all see/speak to each other too or is it still in writing? Like e.g. as I trained my English mostly myself, its probably difficult to understand for others if I try to speak it and so on. I am usually way better in writing than in speaking, as I can focus a bit better on finding the words, I very very rarely speak in English, in especially the last 10 to 15 years.

Zoom is not the most insanely secure platform but we do have the group password-protected. In our viewing group, no one actually turns their video on or talks. What we see is simply @Cap's shared screen. There's a separate little chat box you can enable on the side of the window, and people just chat there -- it's not super active, usually just commenting on what's happening in the movie.

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Zoom is not the most insanely secure platform but we do have the group password-protected. In our viewing group, no one actually turns their video on or actually talks. What we see is simply @Cap's shared screen. There's a separate little chat box you can enable on the side of the window, and people just chat there -- it's not super active, usually just commenting on what's happening in the movie.

Thank you a lot, sounds like it might be worth looking into it.

• Like 1

forty_two_thumb.jpg

The Room is Open:

Room ID: 542 382 5182

Password: BOT

We're starting at 6PM, so in about twenty minutes.  

@Fancyarcher @Rorschach @Blankments @4815162342 @Plain Old Tele @terrestrial 
@TwoMisfits @gadd @Darth Lehnsherr @Eric #RIPChadwick @lorddemaxus @Alpha @Spaghetti @Ethan Hunt @DAR

+

@Eric #RIPChadwick wrote up a profound introduction to the film; it follows:

After the unfortunate passing of Chadwick Aaron Boseman, I was the first to contact Cap over Movie Nights, requesting we all get together and watch a Boseman movie. There were a lot of compelling suggestions, and I was this close to deciding Black Panther, if only because we get to see him in his most famous role and enjoy, in my opinion, one of the greatest blockbusters ever made. But I feel like out of all the films Boseman had done, we could not ignore 42.

42 was directed and written by Brian Helgeland. You may know this name from his work in other films, like the scripts for LA Confidential and Clint Eastwood’s Mystic River. In 2001, he also directed A Knight’s Tale, starring Heath Ledger, another actor who passed on way too young. Released in 2013 after more than a decade of development hell, this was the film that introduced the world to Chadwick Boseman, playing the one and only Jackie Robinson in a heartfelt and inspirational biopic about beating the odds and breaking down societal norms.

While not Boseman’s first film, this was the one that put him on the map. This was the film that made people turn their heads and realize this man’s talents. This was what made him continue an acting career, as he almost quit entirely in favor of being a director. This was what made him become the Black Panther. This was what resulted in him becoming one of the most important film figures in blockbuster media. This was what broke down or will soon break down the doors for Black talent, Asian talent, Latinx talent, and more. All of this came from 42.

jackie robinson GIF by MLB

And in a way, having Boseman’s career start with playing Jackie Robinson is extremely fitting. Jackie Robinson’s story is one that needs no introduction and has been retold many times. He even played himself in 1950’s The Jackie Robinson Story. Becoming the first Black man to play in the MLB in the modern era, Robinson’s time with the Brooklyn Dodgers signaled the smashing of the baseball color line and ending the segregation of the sport. After decades of Black talent forced to play in the Negro leagues, Jackie Robinson was one of the most pivotal members of the Civil Rights movement, up there with the likes of John Lewis, Malcolm X, and Dr. Martin Luther King. Even when Jackie Robinson earned derision and vitriol from crowds, rival teams, and even fellow Dodgers players, he still played the game and gave us the likes of Willie Mays, Reggie Jackson, Barry Bonds, Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson, Lebron James, Jim Brown, Kobe Bryant, and Colin Kaepernick.

In a way, Boseman has a lot in common with Jackie Robinson, and even James Brown or Thurgood Marshall. Now obviously in today’s film world, things are much better than it was during Robinson's time. When Boseman was starting out, Will Smith and Denzel Washington were still making movies and Tyler Perry was one of the richest men in Hollywood. But when it comes to the current blockbuster climate, Boseman did break certain ceilings with a certain Marvel film.

chadwick boseman turn GIF

Black Panther was far from the first Black-led blockbuster. It was even far from the first Black-led superhero movie. But as a film that celebrated Black and African culture? A film that gave meaningful representation to both Black men and women? A film that gave Black people a chance to celebrate their homeland if it wasn’t destroyed by colonialism? A film that featured a majority Black cast, peppered with some of the greatest talents working today? Yeah, it’s one of a kind. So one of a kind it managed to stand out to people as more than just an extension to some movie series about a big purple dude trying to take over the world. And it was rewarded for it.

I saw Black Panther at a sold out screening on Thursday, February 15, 2018. And it was one of those very special moviegoing experiences that you just never forget. Walking out of that theater, I felt so much excitement, joy, adrenaline, and happiness that I honestly haven’t really felt with any other movie since it came out. And when I was on my Uber ride back to my dorm, I knew, albeit as a box office nerd, this was going to be huge. And it was, outgrossing Titanic domestically, earning seven Oscar nominations and three wins, becoming one of the most talked about blockbusters in decades, and redefining representational media in global cinema in a way that has never truly been done before. And while we’re only just starting to see how Black Panther’s success is changing things, I also knew walking out in that theater that 30 years from now, Black Panther will be this generation’s Star Wars.

black panther wakanda forever GIF by Marvel Studios

And in the middle of all this was Chadwick Boseman, whose performance is one that even diehard fans kind of take for granted. Sure we all love Michael B. Jordan and Letita Wright, but I think it’s important to recognize this movie wouldn’t work without Chadwick. T’Challa was arguably the everyman, thrown into a position of power and forced to lead a nation, while also deciding what is best for its future. T'Challa also serves as the audience surrogate for all the supporting cast's ideas thrown at the screen. He is the one who has to listen to six or so viewpoints, personalities, and ideologies, allowing him and by extension us, a chance to understand complex themes about Black liberation, community, colonialism, the diaspora, all of which is not easy to find in cinema, especially in a family action blockbuster made to sell toys and Halloween costumes.

And it worked as well as it did because of Boseman. He exuded a personality and charisma that is both relatable and regal, which is not an easy task. He gave us a character that is brave, smart, contemplative, sensitive, powerful, noble, and even a bit of a dork (that “don’t freeze” scene always cracks me up). Boseman allowed people a chance to truly appreciate the majesty of the work of Jack Kirby and Ryan Coogler, and he was rewarded for it, with record-breaking box office and being idolized by both adults and especially kids. He’s this generation’s Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter, and it seemed like the man had a chance to do amazing things in the future, before fate had other plans.

And really, 42 is where it all started. While far from a critical darling, this is what gave Boseman a chance to show his raw acting talents. He was hailed as the greatest aspect of the movie and instantly made people learn his name. It’s here he would go on to be in one of the most important blockbusters in recent memory. It’s here where we get to see a future Black legend play an established Black legend. It’s here where Chadwick Boseman began his rise in joining a legendary status among the likes of Hattie McDaniel, Dorothy Dandridge, Sidney Poitier, Melvin van Peebles, Richard Roundtree, Pam Grier, LeVar Burton, John Amos, Cicely Tyson, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Whoopi Goldberg, Spike Lee, Halle Berry, Alfre Woodard, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Angela Bassett, Regina King, Shonda Rhimes, Ava DuVernay, Mahershala Ali, Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Barry Jenkins, Ruth Carter, and Ryan Coogler.

Black Panther Movie GIF

And quite honestly, it’s fitting a Black talent who inspired the world got his start playing a Black talent who inspired the world. Enjoy the movie, and remember to always celebrate and appreciate what Chadwick has done in just 43 years of age, and use that as a way to support minority actors and filmmakers in the future.

RIP Chadwick

chadwick boseman dancing GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 10

I'll likely only be able to watch an hour of this tonight and I'll try to catch the rest of it later this week. This has been a really busy week so far (my first week ever of uni and its been a complete mess lmao, espescially with online learning and living half way across the world) and I'd like to get some sleep. Might end up staying the whole way through if I'm really enjoying it though.

And that's a really, really good write-up btw.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its 30 minutes after midnight here and I am literally still at work. We got today e.g. new instructions (virus) by the government, a few details based on those plus some other ones not related to those mean I wont be back at home before Thursday midday/afternoon, being back at work Friday to get tested, and so on. 

I wrote a message to myself to remind me about to get the zoom thing done after school is open for at least a week = in 2 weeks.

Have a lot of fun!

• Like 2

Starting in the month of September, TCM will be showing the ten-part documentary "Women Make Film" on the history of women in film over the past one hundred and thirty years.  In conjunction with that, from September to mid November all films shown on Tuesday are directed by women, and that's where a majority of our September programing hails from.

Before embark on a lot of lesbianism, we have two great hold overs from August:

51j-y2-cK4L._AC_.jpg   touch-of-evil-vintage-movie-poster-origi

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, we have Elia Kazan's On The Waterfront.  It stars Marlon Brando in an Academy Award winning performance, and features Eva Marie Saint's on-screen debut.  A gripping, ultra neo realistic film for the 1954, it's about "an ex-prize fighter turned longshoreman [who] struggles to stand up to his corrupt union bosses" (IMDb); and is most probably famous for the "I Coulda Been A Contender" speech. (Fun Fact: They TRIED to shoot this movie on location in Red Hook, but the mob said they'd kill Marlon and Kazan if they did.  So they packed everything up and went to Jersey!)

On Saturday, September 5, 2020, we have one both @baumer and @Jake Gittes are sure to enjoy: Orson Welles' Touch of Evil.  This is a dark, difficult, crime film where in the iconic opening shot a bomb is placed in the trunk of a car in Mexico and explodes across the border in the U.S.  Two police officers attempt to solve the crimes, by any means necessary.  One's played by Orson Welles at the peak of his disgusting villainy, and the other's played by Charlton Heston in A LOT of brownface. This is OG #ACAB.  The film's really notable for its use of camera and cinematography, and that in the editing process, the Studio shut Welles out, hacked up his film and dumped it as a B-Movie.  The movie we have now is reconstructed off a fifty-eight page memo Welles wrote the studio in despair.

591px-Dance,_Girl,_Dance_(1940_film_post watermelonwoman_poster.jpg

On Thursday, September 10, 2020, we have Dance, Girl, Dance from 1940 by Dorothy Arzner.  Dorothy Arzner was the only female directing working in the 1930s and 1940s Hollywood.  She was bad ass lesbian (might have had an affair with Katharine Hepburn) and managed to have a career that spanned decides as an editor, director, director Pepsi commercials (thanks Joan Crawford), and as a film professor at USC to the likes of Francis Ford Coppola.  In one of her last films, Lucille Ball (yes, that Lucy) and Maureen O'Hara play two struggling chorus girls trying to woo a rich suitor as they navigate the misogyny of vaudeville.  Robert Wise -- who would direct Sound of Music and West Side Story, and edited Citizen Kane -- is the film's editor.  [Note: We were SUPPOSED to watch Merrily We Go To Hell.  It's not on TCM but is available for Free on YouTube, so we CAN watch it if you're hearts set on some drunks having an affair.]

On Saturday, September 12, 2020, we have Cheryl Dunye's The Watermelon Woman. Now, I can hear you, "Wait, isn't that from 1996?"  Yes, but it's about "A young Black lesbian filmmaker [who] probes into the life of The Watermelon Woman, a 1930s Black actress who played 'mammy' archetypes" (IMDb).  So it's definitely adjacent to older films.  And it's the first American film directed by a Black lesbian director.  Duyne's gone on to direct more films like The Owls and Mommy Is Coming; she currently just directed an episode of Lovecraft Country.

aff_olivia-3.jpg~original  The_Adventures_of_Prince_Achmed-14207856

On Thursday, September 17, 2020, we have Jacqueline Audry's 1951 French Film Olivia. "Late nineteenth century in a finishing school for young girls near in France, the principal, the fascinating Miss Julie, sows confusion in the heart of the newcomer, Olivia" (IMDB).  AKA, Harold, They're Lesbians! It's based on the 1950 autobiographical novel by Dorothy Bussy.  It is one of the first French films to depict an explicit lesbian relationship.

On Saturday, September 19, 2020: Two years before Steamboat Willie, and almost a decade before Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Lotte Reiniger directed and animated 1926's The Adventure of Prince Achmed.  It is the oldest, surviving, feature film in exists, and the animated was all done by shadow animation.  It's based off the One Thousand and One Nights by Hanna Divab.

mNS0723.jpg?v=1571444657  0dfe9c4c663dc1a6c9d682b04bd6aa6f.jpg

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, is Salaam Bombay!, from 1988, an Indian crime drama directed, co-written and co-produced by Mira Nair.  This is her first full-length feature after making primarily documentaries.  The story centers on a group of street children -- most not professional actors -- and the events of their daily lives in Bombay (now Mumbai). It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best International Film and won Camera d'Or and Audience Award at Cannes Film Festival in 1988.

On Saturday, September 26, 2020, we finish a film not directed by a woman, but it's one of my personal favorites: 1942's Woman Of The Year.  "Rival reporters Sam and Tess fall in love and get married, only to find their relationship strained when Sam comes to resent Tess' hectic lifestyle" (IMDb).  The first of nine pictures that Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy did together.  I would honestly be a completely different person if this didn't exist, because I'm literally named after them.

katharine hepburn love GIF by FilmStruck

I'm really excited for these films!  When I put up the link to the Live Room on the Day Of, I will also link some interviews and reviewers of the movies for more back ground info.  I won't lie, I went down an Orson Welles rabbit hole for Touch of Evil.

Speaking of Evil, in October, just teaser here, be ready for all the horror (the horror).

• Like 7

0000299389.jpg?v=1571552515

ON THE WATERFRONT

"An ex-prize fighter turned longshoreman struggles to stand up to his corrupt union bosses." (IMDb)

--> The Room Is Live @ 9:45 PM EST  <--

(aka 15 minutes from when I posted this)

PASSWORD: BOT

Here's a brief intro to the film by Robert Osborne:

And some fanboying by Marty and Spike:

Rod Steiger Talking about Brando and The "I Should've Been A Contender" Scene:

A Brief Essay On The Film:

A Quick Overview of The Hollywood Blacklist:

Some Background on How the project came to be:

Elia Kazan Receives His Honorary Oscar:

Touch_of_Evil_(1958_poster).jpg

TOUCH OF EVIL

"A stark, perverse story of murder, kidnapping, and police corruption in a Mexican border town." (IMDb)

CW: Sexual Assault, Violence, Brownface

Run Time: 1 hr 35 mins

--> The Room Is Live @ 2:45 PM EST  <--

(aka 1 hour from when I posted this)

TCM Intro:

A.O. Scott's Thoughts:

Orson In his Own Words
(And Heston's Complete Savage Takedown at the 6:30 mark)

An Essay on the Controversial Cut:

(Contains HEAVY Spoilers)

• Like 1

Dorothy Arzner's Dance, Girl, Dance!

dance-girl-dance-movie-poster-1940-10206

When a troupe of danseuses becomes unemployed, one of them takes up burlesque dancing while another dreams of performing ballet (IMDb).

Run Time: 1hr 30minutes

Dorothy Arzner

ArznerDorothy_388x535.jpg

1897 – 1979

In the early days of Hollywood when women had few paths to choose from, Dorothy Arzner bucked the system and became a feature film director. Arzner managed to rise from being an editor to directing her first picture, Fashions for Women (1927), a silent comedy that went on to box-office success. After helming Ten Modern Commandments (1927) and Get Your Man (1927), she entered the talkie era with The Wild Party (1929) and quickly established herself as a director who made movies featuring fiercely independent women.  Arzner typically cast appropriate actresses like Katharine Hepburn and Joan Crawford to ably play such roles, as they did in Christopher Strong (1933) and The Bride Wore Red (1937), respectively.

After directing Dance, Girl, Dance (1940) and First Comes Courage (1943), Arzner fell ill with pneumonia and found it difficult to return to pictures. Instead, she taught at the University of California, Los Angeles, and the Pasadena Playhouse, while Joan Crawford helped pave the way for her to direct over 50 commercials for Pepsi. Though she slipped into obscurity before her death in 1979, Arzner re-emerged as a pioneering woman who managed to compile a body of work at a time most other women were given opportunities to do so.

--> The Room Is Live @ 10:00 PM EST  <--

(aka 9 minutes from when I posted this)

• Like 1