December 5, 2020

Only Angels Have Wings

Selected by @Jake Gittes

---> NOTE THIS IS STARTING AT 1PM INSTEAD OF THE NORMAL 2PM <---

MV5BOWFlNzZhYmYtYTI5YS00MDQyLWIyNTUtNTRj

December 9, 2020

Cool Hand Luke

Selected by @DAR

Cool Hand Luke: Some are movie stars. Some are great actors. Paul Newman was both. And you cannot take your eyes off of him especially in this film. Throw in memorable supporting characters and some of the most quotable lines in movie history. This was an easy selection for me.

whats-up-doc-vintage-movie-poster-origin

December 12, 2020

What’s Up Doc?

Selected by @lorddemaxus

What’s Up Doc is easily my favourite comedy of all time. Starts off as a homage to Golden Age screwball comedies and ends with some of the most ludicrous and craziest sequences I've ever seen in a comedy. I especially love that way it handles multiple subplots which all come crashing together in hilarious ways in the 3rd. It’s a film that in my opinion, has a consistent momentum and energy to it, that’s even missing in some of the best action films of all time. Every scene either has me laughing my ass off or completely in awe of how bonkers it is (or both). I only watched the film less than 6 months ago but I can’t wait to watch this film again and it should especially be more fun to watch now that I’m watching it with other people.

The_Thin_Man_1934_Poster.jpg

December 16, 2020

The Thin Man

Selected by @Plain Old Tele

It's_a_Wonderful_Life_(1946_poster).jpeg

December 19, 2020

It’s A Wonderful Life

Selected by @Ahsoka

We squeezed this into the schedule once we found out a couple folks on board have never seen it.

This is my sentimental favorite of all time.  It makes me cry.  Like, ugly cry.  I start about thirty minutes in, and never really stop.  It's pure Capra populism lead by an effortless performance by Jimmy Stewart. 

Miracle_on_34th_Street_(1947_film_poster

December 23, 2020

Miracle on 34th Street

Selected by @Ahsoka

I had to.  It's my Mom's favorite Christmas movie.  And what's not to love: a fantastic Maureen O'Hara, the first role of Natalie Wood (at four!), and probably my favorite courtroom scene in all of Hollywood history.  

b8f8fc70167f1a1c47371420add23490.jpg

December 27, 2020

Swordfish

Selected by @MrPink

tumblr_nltmi4PG6C1qbwrnuo5_500.gifv

--> This will be scheduled for either Sun or Mon, depending on what the group wants <--

The_Apartment_(1960_poster).jpg

December 30, 2020

The Apartment

Selected by @Ahsoka and @Jake Gittes

The first rule of CPWP is when there's a chance to show a Billy Wilder film, show a Billy Wilder film.  This is the perfect one for New Year's Eve.

814CGMWuqKL._RI_.jpg

January 2, 2020

Tokyo Godfathers

Selected by @Spaghetti

The_Grapes_of_Wrath_(1940_poster).jpg

January 9, 2020

The Grapes Of Wrath

Selected by @Ahsoka

I had originally scheduled this as a companion film for the fact Chloe Zhao's Nomadland's being released the first week in December, but we switched things around to fit in It's A Wonderful Life. @Jake Gittes made a passing reference to him John Ford being a blindspot in his film knowledge.  I was like, "Well, we're gonna fix that."  Ford's filmography in 2020 can be difficult to approach, so before we jump right into his Westerns, let's start with his masterwork "The Grapes of Wrath." 

• Astonished 1

@MrPink Requested that we move this to 3 PM Eastern time. If anyone doesn’t have a problem with that, we’re going to start at 3 PM. Everyone should join into because it’s going to be a blast. I am ready for some complete nonsense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wondy said:

@MrPink Requested that we move this to 3 PM Eastern time. If anyone doesn’t have a problem with that, we’re going to start at 3 PM. Everyone should join into because it’s going to be a blast. I am ready for some complete nonsense

Pink’s last movie was pretty legendary, so I expect this will be equally insane. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

Hello Everyone!

When @Plain Old Tele and I started this adventure almost four months ago, I had no idea what to expect.  We were just expressing our inner Statlers and Waldorfs. Over these months, we've had some technical difficulties, questionable streaming practices, and a couple of last-minute rescheduling.  Despite the kinks, it's been a blast.

Nothing will replace going to a movie theater.  These outings have, in their own way, have been a real sense of normalcy and comfort.  It's nice to watch a "new release" each week.  And even if it's via a Zoom Chat, it's nice to get to stand outside the movie theater with people and gossip about what we just witnessed.  

I plan to continue these to at least May, and then we can reassess.  Since hopefully people will be back at the movies by then!

Cap

Golden Girls Reaction GIF

Housekeeping:

Originally I had the weekday movie scheduled for Thursdays (to sync up with Thursday previews).  We changed that to Wednesday due to football.  With football over, I am open to moving it back so that more folks can join in.  I have a poll for everyone above.  Please fill it out.

"Questionable Movie Nights"

Thanks to our beloved @MrPink, we've shown a couple of films with "questionable taste".  I won't call them "bad", because I'm not here to judge people's personal taste.  And who doesn't love a "bad" movie?  With that in mind, I'm thinking of adding a bi-monthly showing of these "questionable" movies that we can RiffTrax at.  

Schedule:

I will put the January schedule up at the end of the week.  My new year's revolution return to posting Write Ups on the movies when I post the link to the Zoom Call.

Links:

Telegram Chat: If you want to join our Telegram Chat, the link is here: https://t.me/joinchat/GAhoLBChKgN2CUvA

Zoom Call: The zoom call link is always the same, so if you want to save it, it's: 

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5423825182?pwd=T1VuUmJ5OVB1ZjRNQmNHRVpDQ3lkUT09

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182
Passcode: BOT

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Wondy said:

Hello Everyone!

outside of lock-downs and school-holidays I work every Thursday for around 10-12 hours, starting with being the sole librarian and lots of .... interesting kids. I think that is during / overlaps with your location Wednesday evening. Or was it during sleeping time (the night between Wednesday and Thursday is important to me to rest, as Thursday is a headache day), work travel time or whatever. New York for the moment is midnight, here it is 6 in the morning, LA/Seattle is 9 in the evening of yesterday still.

That is one of the reasons I am not really ‘there’ yet

• Like 1

JANUARY SHOWCASE

Before we start, based the polls:

• We are sticking with Wednesday and Saturdays
  • Wednesday are moving from 10PM EST to 9PM EST.
  • "Questionable Taste in Movies" will be happening once a month on Mondays.  

When @Plain Old Tele and I talked about the theme for January, we stumbled upon classic movies that people haven't seen.  Stuff that makes you go, 'OMG YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THAT?'  We're not going to name names, but here we go.

MV5BMTkyNmU2ZjUtNzIwMy00MWRlLWE4ZWQtYzJh

JANUARY 2

TOYKO GODFATHERS

@Spaghetti's pick for his "comfort movie", this charming 2003 anime fan by Satoshi Kon is a masterclass in storytelling.  The film centers on: "On Christmas Eve, three homeless people living on the streets of Tokyo discover a newborn baby among the trash and set out to find its parents."  (We're only like a week off!)

The_Sting_(1973_alt_poster).jpeg

JANUARY 6

THE STING

Ah, Paul Newman and Robert Redford in their prime. I'm already getting the fans and spray bottles to cool us off.  IMDB says the log line is "two grifters team up to pull off the ultimate con." Sounds amazing.

the-grapes-of-wrath-movie-poster.jpg?v=1

JANUARY 9

THE GRAPES OF WRATH

So word on the street is some folks haven't seen a John Ford movie.  Consider this your gateway drug.  "A poor Midwest family is forced off their land. They travel to California, suffering the misfortunes of the homeless in the Great Depression," in this film based on the Steinbeck classic.

large_xc5xQXJGTcpyiiMP5gDduVcdhKN.jpg La-Jetee-Movie_poster.jpg

JANUARY 13

"VISION OF LIGHT" & LA JETÉE

In a "let's indulge Cap and Tele" marathon, we're first showing the cinematography documentary "Vision of Light" before the French short that 12 Monkey's based on.

MV5BZDVmZTZkYjMtNmViZC00ODEzLTgwNDAtNmQ3

JANUARY 16

HIS GIRL FRIDAY

Howard Hawks is basically a genius.  "A newspaper editor uses every trick in the book to keep his ace reporter ex-wife from remarrying."

15603118]&call=url[file:product.chain]

JANUARY 20

THE THIN MAN

@Plain Old Tele's pick for a "comfort movie".  We're in for great fun as "a former detective Nick Charles and his wealthy wife Nora investigate a murder case, mostly for the fun of it (IMDb.)

allabouteve_584x800_e90ac067.jpeg?region

JANUARY 23

ALL ABOUT EVE

She's got Bette Davis Eyyyyes, and needs them to watch her back. Cause, according to IMDB: "A seemingly timid but secretly ruthless ingénue insinuates herself into the lives of an aging Broadway star and her circle of theater friends."

product_2674.jpg

JANUARY 27

INHERIT THE WIND

Only seen Gene Kelly dance? Only watched 12 Angry Men? Buckle up for a courtroom drama led by Spencer Tracy that's shockingly still relative to our world today.  IMDb: "Based on a real-life case in 1925, two great lawyers argue the case for and against a science teacher accused of the crime of teaching evolution."  

The_Band_Wagon_(1953_poster).jpg

JANUARY 30

THE BAND WAGON

Only seen Fred dance with Ginger?  Meet Cyd Charisse.  You're in for a treat with this Minnelli fave.  "A pretentiously artistic director is hired for a Broadway musical and changes it beyond recognition," says IMDb.

"QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN MOVIES"

Monday, January 25 at 9PM EST

We're going to kick off our first official feature in this series with none other than:

Spoiler
Spoiler

81iN08nGRwL._AC_SY741_.jpg

LIKE IT'D BE ANYTHING ELSE. 

Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

The works of the late Satoshi Kon have inspired me to pick a more modern classic, and I think the themes of hope and finding love and joy in unexpected places resonate deeply as we head into the new year.

Set during Christmas Eve, this is another one of those films where the plot had the holiday as a backdrop instead of necessarily a direct correlation to the story. Following three homeless misfits as they help care for an abandoned child and return her to her home, it drives home the theme of empathy, class, found families. The film has been compared to Hirokazu Kore-ada’s masterpiece Shoplifters in this regard.

Beyond merely capturing hope in a bleak situation, a theme we’ve no double run into frequently over this past year, it showcases the possibilities of animation when escaping a gaze strictly of western mass media. I love Disney’s output as much as the next person but explore the rest of the world and you’ll find brave, surprising, and truly beautiful works. This is actually my first official pick for this film club, but I hope to keep adding more films like this, from sharing a few of my favorites to making exciting new discoveries with you.

Thank you all, and I hope you enjoy this lovely little film with us today!

@Wondy and I will get the link to you ASAP.

ETA: 

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182

Room will open in about half an hour

• Like 6

I just opened the room for John Ford's The Grapes of Wrath:

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182

You should come watch it, cause Ford, for all this faults, was a poet of the celluloid canvas:

Also, fun fact:  The title come from the Song "The Battle Hymn of The Republic".  And if you've never seen Judy Garland perform that, well, here is it:

She performed it two weeks after Kennedy was assassinated as a tribute to him.

• Like 1

Henry Fonda's final speech in "Grapes Of Wrath" is incredible.

And glad to see "THe Bandwagon" up. it's my favorite of the  Arthur Freed era MGM Musicals, Igreat as Singing In the Rain is I like Bandwagon even better.

Best moments; "Dancing In The Dark" with Astair and Charisse, and, of course the "Girl Hunt" ballet, aka the "Mickey Spillaine" ballet.

• Like 1

Some future fllms for considetation:

Kazan's "A Face In The Crowd" about a folksy demogoure who rises to a threteining position of power;more revelent now then ever, and an incredible performance by Andy Griffith who shows a dark, side to his talents he seldom got to use.

"Twelve O CLock High" one of the best World War Two movies ever made.

• Like 1