YM!

Y7 OSCARS: Pulling a Spark Homeward to fix this.

Keegan Michael Key and Jordan Peele walk on stage. 

Peele: Welcome to the Y7 Oscars. It's been a great year for movies, and i got to say it's good to see you Keegan.

Key: Likewise, It's also an honor to host the Oscars. 

Suddenly, the screen turns black and fuzzy as we see The Substitute Teacher (Key) on stage, with a group of CAYOM heroes including Alex Spark (Sasha Lane), Hal Jordan (Armie Hammer), Nadine Hallon (Thomasin McKenzie), Shepard (MacKenzie Davis) and Keif Lennon (Jake Gyllenhaal).

Garvey: Listen up, y'all. I is y'all substitute teacher, Mr. Garvey. I taught school for 20 years in the inner city, so don't think about pulling any bullshit. Role call, A-licks Spayark.

The students look confused as Alex raises her hand.

Alex: Do you mean Alex?

Garvey: So we really doing the shit, A-licks? I will let you off easy as I'm feeling good today but this is the sole warning unless y'all want me to go ballistic. Where's Hay-y'all.

Hal raises his hand

Hal: I think you mean Hal.

Garvey: Are you out of your goddamn mind, Hay-y'all. That ain't a real name, it's a phony ass comic book name. Check yourself before I wreck yourself. Nadine?

Nadine raises her hand as the classmates are surprised that he got it right.

Garvey, irritated, chuckles at first and then flips items of his desk.

Garvey: You little bastards really think I'm dumb. Just cause I come from the inner city. I know my goddamn names. You little racist pricks need to stop being so smart, and learn to show some proper respect.

The class is terrified as they become silent. Garvey lists of the rest of the names until he gets to Sam Capebaldi (this time, played by Jordan Peele) who's name he mispronounces but like in the original skit Peele replies "Pre-sent"

THE OSCARS Y7

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

We then see Chuck Norris and Liam Nesson walk on the stage.

Chuck: As we all know, action is an important to part to films.

Liam: In fact, it made our careers. 

Chuck: Speak for yourself, I've become quite the method actor.

Liam: Chuck, without me and Blankments Productions, you wouldn't have a career and the nominees for Best Use of Action are...

Attack on Titan

Green Lantern Corps: Home

Hypercomptency

Megalo Box

The Scavenger Wars Part III

and the winner is...

Spoiler

Attack on Titan

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

and now a word from @Spaghetti

Spoiler

Hello, friends.

You were probably expecting something else. I had planned a trailer for Hotel Amora, but I’ve been kind of thinking about this a lot over the weekend.

After thinking about it for a while, and even in light of a few announcements I had made in the past week, I have reflected a lot on how things have been in my life. I had actually recently gotten accepted into a paid anthology of short stories, something that I have been incredibly proud of. I really want to make an effort to keep working on my novel of Notes from the Otherspace, but as Y7 showed, and even attempting the first drafts of The Epsilon Syndicate II, I just felt the passion and spark (no pun intended) I had just wasn’t where I wanted it to be, and that I feel even now that I wasn’t the writer I was in Y1. I have a lot of great ideas for things, but I just haven’t been able to follow through on them as much as I needed, and I feel like I’m tying myself to too much in terms of my creative endeavors. I would rather try to put my heart into a more limited number of things then try to keep my internalized obligations and turn out something mediocre, or worse.

Knowing all of that, I came to the potentially disheartening decision to indefinitely delay production of all films at Hourglass Pictures (including those slated in the Y8 schedule) and relinquish all rights that I currently own.

There are a lot of major projects that I want to work on,  and I hoped that taking a break in Y7 would help me get back on my feet and excited to write again, but I want to put the energy and passion I can into the films I write here – the lot of you deserve that. With the state of the world and reflecting on my own goals, I’m just not sure I have the capacity to write for this in the way I want to. I still can't shake the feeling that I'm letting you down after hyping up my Y8 projects even a few days ago, but in truth, I would sometimes fall into the bad habit of looking before leaping and not giving myself a clear idea of where to go to. This is one of those times.

I want to be clear that my mental health is fine, and you don't have to worry about me. Of course I've been depressed and struggling with energy during this whole pandemic, which, sure, might have contributed to this decision, but I think it boils down to a change in re-examined goals and desires, namely a focus on larger scare writing projects and more short stories. 

Also, I am not leaving the community for good, however. I will still happily help others with their own projects (and will honor any pre-reads I had) and also review, predict, and so on, so forth. With the schedule of films filling up so easily, I have no doubt that an array of excellent and passionate films will be able to fill my absence. Also, with Y7, I kept being wishy washy with whether I would try to write something hat I don't want to force people to fill the gaps that I otherwise would have left hanging until the very last minute. For anyone effected by my shuffling, I'm really sorry.

At the same time, I can’t understate how important CAYOM has been to me for well over ten years, from its Box Office Mojo days. I have grown so much as a writer thanks to this community, and I’ve also gained so many truly meaningful friendships with the lot of you. As my own directives change in how I want to take my writing, this will always have been a deeply meaningful part of my writing journey. In fact, I have the hope that films Spark and The Epsilon Syndicate will eventually live on as novel series, just as I am doing for Notes from the Otherspace. In fact, many completed or uncompleted films may end up being adapted into full length novels. Much of my Y8 projects will even be reborn as novellas, hopefully.

I still feel guilty for dropping this major bombshell on what should be a fun and joyous night for all of it’s players. Maybe I should have posted it in the magazine thread myself instead of just as an "Oscar preview". This has meant a truly significant amount to me for nearly half of my life, and I’m still here for you all.  I know I said this before, but promise all of you that I am very much okay, and you don't have to worry about anything. 

Thank you for everything.

The Pastafarian.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Another word from our sponsors

Spoiler

Open on a young black woman (Letitia Wright) waking up in an all white room, gasping for air. 

LW v/o: "I'm still kind of lost, why would you need us?"

A quick run through of the following: a cyborg (Jack Lowden) punching someone in the face. A man in a suit (Bill Hader) pointing a gun. A woman (Claire Foy) running while a green humanoid form is following her in a defensive stance. Another young woman ( Kiersey Clemons) manipulating water, forming it into a blunt object.

simon pegg v/o

I need you all to clean up an anomaly in the multiverse, someone more powerful than me. 

FROM THE DUFFER BROTHERS. 

A shot of Mary Elizabeth Winstead looking at a skull, she then crushes it.

THE MINDS BEHIND THE SCAVENGER WARS AND SPARK: RISING

SP: "Her only goal is conquest but if you succeed you will be resurrected. 

THE CASTAWAYS 

THANKSGIVING 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 2

Aera (Aubrey Plaza) and T-Bot (Keegan Michael Key) rolls on the screen, in tuxedos.

Aera: Whether your watching a movie for the first time or numerous times, one thing that's sure to catch your eyes is the visuals.

There is an awkward silence as Aera elbows T-Bot to talk.

T-Bot: I'm still mad at those damn fleshlings. We were supposed to be hosting the Oscars y'know, but those damn writers.

Aera: Quiet, you know we're on probation for our last acts.

T-Bot: Fine, the nominees are

Attack on Titan

Green Lantern Corps: Home

Hypercomptency

The Scavenger Wars Part III (T-Bot yells which he wasn't in)

Tower of Babylon

and the winner is....

Spoiler

Tower of Babylon

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Another word from our sponsors

Reveal hidden contents

@Blankments what's wrong?

• Disbelief 1

Spoiler

from the director of The Wave and Tomb Raider

Seth: Come, Kyle. It is time.

Two men in flappy desert hats, Seth (Saïd Taghmaoui) and Kyle (Mena Massoud), travel along the ledges of a rocky canyon. Seth leads Kyle through a narrow entrance and finds a nest of dragons. Behind them lies geography that suggests the location is an ancient world.

Seth: Establish the bond. This may be your only chance.

All but one of the dragons leap into the air and fly into the canyon. But the lone one, a skinny blue dragon (Chiwetel Ejiofor), approaches him.

Dragon: What have we here...

Kyle stretches out his arm. He stands his ground and braces for what happens next.

New Journey Pictures proudly presents

In the pitch-black darkness of a throne room, Enoch (Rami Malek) stands up and declares to his troops, including the reluctant right-hand servant Floy (Geraldine Viswanathan), that the time for him to rule the world is nigh, and that, with his troops, he will secure an item known as the Sky Amulet. We follow this with shots of Enoch's fleet of dragon riders and monsters flying in the sky.

in association with SEGA

Kyle stares down as Seth speaks to him offscreen, telling him to retrieve the amulet because the freedom of the people depends on it. At a canyon cliff overlooking a vast ocean, the dragon appears before Kyle, descending down from golden skies with rocky armor/padding on its body and a tall helmet pointed forward in the direction of his line of sight.

a cinematic event not to be missed

While Kyle rides the dragon, he tells him that they've gotten far--but that they need to keep going. The dragon spreads his wings and soars.

Mena Massoud

Kyle rides the dragon over an ocean with ruins of buildings protruding from the surface.

Geraldine Viswanathan

Floy hurries to a dark room with a glowing well in the center.

Saïd Taghmaoui

In the canyon, Seth aims and shoots a primitive laser gun at an enemy in the sky.

with Rami Malek

Enoch stands on the back of a black/red dragon menacingly, his dark clothing flailing against the wind.

and Chiwetel Ejiofor

The dragon soars with a grin on its face and shoots red lasers through his pointed helmet.

A flash of images:

- Kyle falls from the sky toward the faraway ground.

- Floy falls from the window of a massive sky-piercing tower.

- An enemy dragon bursts through a wall.

- Kyle and the dragon struggle to escape a cave as it collapses around them.

Cut to black.

340?cb=20140722172321

COMING SOON TO THEATERS

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2