charlie Jatinder

PAPA NOLAN's TENƎꓕ International Thread. Weekend 5 $16.2mn / $243.7mn Total

50 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Nah, he’s more interested in the second weekend because he can’t spin the OW numbers as bad, but if it drops big next weekend, he’ll be able to bring back his narrative that theaters are dead and that people won’t go to movies anymore.

Sent from my iPhone

joke aside I don't think it is too much to pay close attention to 2nd hold because that is what WB betting on.  If 2nd week hold is fantastic and tenet just leg it out from there , it would be victory for WB and Nolan, their strategy to focus on long run worked.

50m international number with 4x hold like what Unhinged did will give 200m alone from the existing market. 

2 minutes ago, RJ 95 said:

That number from UK and SK is kind of expected but Germany and France number is really good. Hoping for 80m from this 4 market.

Looks like French just ignore their Covid-resurgence. I was hoping for higher German number through, given their covid-19 situation has been tamed

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Looks like French just ignore their Covid-resurgence. I was hoping for higher German number through, given their covid-19 situation has been tamed

4.2 mil is pretty close to Interstellar though and that's with worse ER. With softer drops, it probably even has a chance at surpassing Interstellar's final gross.

And yeah, the French don't seem to care about the pandemic anymore.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually with those 4 big market made $23m this week and if we assume that Spain and Italy made $5.5m combined. Also with probably $2-2.5m from Australia. Then there are still $21m from rest of the world, which is very good given Covid still run rampant all over the world.

Europe also will probably get around 3-4x multiplier even if the WOM is average or only good enough. Repeat viewing and lack of competition surely will help. There are also still Russia, Japan, Mexico and Brazil for more big markets. I think there are still chance for +$450m, it depends much on US and China though.

3 minutes ago, RJ 95 said:

Actually with those 4 big market made $23m this week and if we assume that Spain and Italy made $5.5m combined. Also with probably $2-2.5m from Australia. Then there are still $21m from rest of the world, which is very good given Covid still run rampant all over the world.

Europe also will probably get around 3-4x multiplier even if the WOM is average or only good enough. Repeat viewing and lack of competition surely will help. There are also still Russia, Japan, Mexico and Brazil for more big markets. I think there are still chance for +$450m, it depends much on US and China though.

at the same time, thats just a personal opinion, tenet will create more buzz and bring in more audiences, as tenet is basically the official reopening of theaters ww

Being in the U.K. and seeing $7.1 million despite sitting in screens a quarter full is just amazing really.  I think it will have a big multiplier as confidence returns, plus repeat viewings galore. 

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood opened to $6.2 million in August last year, with maximum capacity, so that gives you an idea about how strong this Tenet performance is. Very encouraging stuff. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Being in the U.K. and seeing $7.1 million despite sitting in screens a quarter full is just amazing really.  I think it will have a big multiplier as confidence returns, plus repeat viewings galore. 

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood opened to $6.2 million in August last year, with maximum capacity, so that gives you an idea about how strong this Tenet performance is. Very encouraging stuff. 

OUATIH isn't a great comparison because that was 18 rated but £5.3m for Tenet is still pretty fantastic, on par with Interstellar which IIRC had good legs.

SUNDAY UPDATE, Refresh for latest…: Christopher Nolan’s Tenet has surged to a $53M opening at the worldwide box office which includes 40 overseas markets and Canada. The numbers are a triumph on the highly-anticipated Warner Bros title which bows in the U.S., China and other markets this coming week and will see further international box office rollout through September.

The Tenet figures are better than pre-weekend projections, which were already difficult to call given this is the first major Hollywood movie to release in the pandemic era — amid an unstable landscape that features varying capacity restrictions and recent coronavirus spikes in some areas.

As we began to glean over the weekend, and as we wrote on Saturday (see below), momentum was building towards a bow at $40M+, so this is a very encouraging and promising debut, particularly for a director whose films tend to leg out. Suffice to say, there is joy in Burbank today, as well as for other studios and exhibition in general who were all on Tenet-erhooks leading into this release — it’s a positive sign for the theatrical business.

Toby Emmerich, Chairman, Warner Bros. Pictures Group, said today, “We are off to a fantastic start internationally and couldn’t be more pleased. Christopher Nolan has once again delivered an event worthy motion picture that demands to be seen on the big screen, and we are thrilled that audiences across the globe are getting the opportunity to see Tenet. Thank you to our exhibition partners for their tireless efforts in reopening their cinemas in a safe and socially-distanced way. Given the unprecedented circumstances of this global release we know we’re running a marathon, not a sprint, and look forward to long playability for this film globally for many weeks to come.”

In terms of market breakdowns, the UK led all Tenet play at $7.1M on 3,114 screens and pulled in a 74% share. Following it was France with $§.7M from 1,070 screens and with 68% of the total box office. Korea, which is one of the areas that has seen a COVID resurgence of late, did $5.1M from 2,228 screens and dominated with 80% market share. Germany landed $4.2M on 1,995 screens and with about 60% of the share.

The 32 markets in the Europe/Middle East and African region accounted for $37M of the weekend gross from 13,146 screens, where it also debuted to No. 1 in every market. Overall, Tenet is the biggest opening of a Nolan film in nine markets, including Holland, Ukraine and Hungary.

Nolan is somewhat synonymous with IMAX  Tenet was shot with their cameras — and results for the format did not disappoint. The total IMAX portion of the box office is $5M from from only 248 screens in 38 markets. The per-screen average was $20K. The full IMAX weekend represents 9.4% of the total. This is by far the biggest late August international box office weekend ever for IMAX. And despite the capacity restrictions, the 9.4% of international box office compares favorably to the IMAX opening weekend percentages from offshore markets for prior Nolan titles: Dunkirk (12.6%) and Interstellar (9.6%). IMAX notes that 11 markets bowed bigger than each of those films, including France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Turkey, Taiwan and Malaysia. Sold-out shows were reported across all markets

What’s more, per-screen averages are reaching pre-COVID blockbuster levels in many markets, including Denmark ($73K), Norway ($64K), Saudi Arabia ($55K), Finland ($42K) and Sweden ($38K — despite a maximum of 50 people per show in the market).

IMAX further reports that Tenet has shown positive signs of a lengthy theatrical run with strong pre-sales spread out well beyond opening weekend. The time-bending film is expected to see stronger than normal midweek grosses and shallower week-to-week drops, as audience moviegoing habits adapt to the current situation.

The overall IMAX weekend box office was $9M across all titles, the biggest since January, and the 2nd highest grossing global weekend for IMAX in 2020.

Tenet releases next weekend in a further six international markets including Russia on September 3 and China on September 4. IMAX will release on an additional 900 screens this week in the U.S., Russia and China.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

"IMAX further reports that Tenet has shown positive signs of a lengthy theatrical run with strong pre-sales spread out well beyond opening weekend. The time-bending film is expected to see stronger than normal midweek grosses and shallower week-to-week drops, as audience moviegoing habits adapt to the current situation."

Hopefully this was true, I really hope it can reach 4x multiplier in many of Europe markets. WOM isn't in Interstellar or Inception level I guess but repeat viewing and lack of competition will surely help. Outside of China and US, Japan box office seems already back to normal. So hopefully it can join China, US Germany, UK, and France as a potential +$20m market

Edited by RJ 95

8 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Nah, he’s more interested in the second weekend because he can’t spin the OW numbers as bad, but if it drops big next weekend, he’ll be able to bring back his narrative that theaters are dead and that people won’t go to movies anymore.

Sent from my iPhone

Just a reminder to people here that if you don't like a person or their postings, especially over something as innocuous as wondering what a film's second weekend drop will be, you can put the poster on your "Ignore" list. It's a lot better than trying to pick a fight with them for no reason and making things miserable for everyone else.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Sent from my iPhone

Ok just to be clear, I am sure you misunderstood it, but its not like@Arendelle Legion didn't spend 30 hours this last weekend alongside me tracking TENET, if he was any troll or so.

What he said is correct. 2nd weekend hold/drop is important in today's circumstances, perhaps more than opening.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ok just to be clear, I am sure you misunderstood it, but its not like@Arendelle Legion didn't spend 30 hours this last weekend alongside me tracking TENET, if he was any troll or so.

What he said is correct. 2nd weekend hold/drop is important in today's circumstances, perhaps more than opening.

A certain contingent (Horror of Lucas, mulderfox, litio) seem to have become obsessed with painting me as a theater hater after I had the audacity to project TENET a bit on the pessimistic side. Thanks for the support, but no need to take them too seriously.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TENET?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TENET</a> grossed $11.25mn on Sunday internationally, taking its overall total to $51mn Approx. Including Canada worldwide total around $54.5-55mn.<br><br>Day wise breakdown<br>Previews: $1.7mn<br>Wednesday: $8.7mn<br>Thursday: $7.25mn<br>Friday: $9mn<br>Saturday: $13.25mn<br>Sunday: $11.25mn <a href="https://t.co/bN8v0lPmX1">pic.twitter.com/bN8v0lPmX1</a></p>&mdash; charlie Jatinder (@itisjat32) <a href="https://twitter.com/itisjat32/status/1300258504716902400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 31, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

<blockquote Top plays <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TENET?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TENET</a> updated<br><br>UK: $7.15mn<br>France: $6.7mn<br>Korea: $5.1mn<br>Germany: $4.2mn<br>Canada<br>Taiwan: $3mn<br>Australia: $2.9mn<br>Spain: $2.8mn<br>Italy: $2.45mn<br>Netherlands: $2.1mn<br>Saudi Arabia: $1.5mn 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3