charlie Jatinder

box office story - how did your box office interest started.

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I started my box office love because of my love to theatrical experience, I like watching movie in cinema, enjoying the pleasure of collective crowd experience

I started to pay attention, but not religiously when Frozen become mega-cultural phenomenon. Since then, I will check on box office on the on-off basis.

I started to pay closer attention to box office during Bohemian Rhapsody time, and that was a long run!

I remember Frozen being a huge deal. It was before I joined BOT so I didn't really have people to discuss the run with, but damn was that an insane run. I remember being astonished by its domestic numbers every day for about 2 months, especially over the Christmas holidays. And then it EXPLODED internationally. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I remember Frozen being a huge deal. It was before I joined BOT so I didn't really have people to discuss the run with, but damn was that an insane run. I remember being astonished by its domestic numbers every day for about 2 months, especially over the Christmas holidays. And then it EXPLODED internationally. 

And just when you thought everything was done by March. that insane Japanese run to 249m just keep the awesome run going non-stop!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

It is terrible! The double counting of the rerelease are everywhere, check harry potter deathly hallow part 2, Bohemian Rhapsody or Interstellar, their rerelease number was added on top of their original run, causing unreasonable rerelease number and BoM added that number in the overall number eventually.

Also, the new international section, we can't trace back the international sum as of each week. Last year I can't still check the total sum of Joker's international gross as of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd week. Now they just tell the sum without telling you the as of date. 

yeah there are some issues, hope they sort them out soon.

57 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The late 90's.

I would love checking the top 10 box office numbers in Entertainment Weekly magazine.

I would check it religiously.

Same here! Entertainment Weekly was the #1 go-to place to read all about movie/industry news in the 90s/early 2000s. 

See EW's Star Wars covers through the years | EW.com

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cannastop said:

My first box office related memory is hearing on the news about the first Harry Potter movie potentially breaking the record for opening weekend.

Or maybe it was looking at Guinness Book of Records at "top opening day gross" for Phantom Menance and thinking "gross" referred to Darth Maul's ugly face.

• Haha 2

I was vaguely aware of the box-office in the early- to mid-80s but I didn’t really start avidly following it until the summer of ‘89, with LAST CRUSADE and BATMAN. On Mondays, I’d always read the Datebook section of the SF Chronicle to get the weekend top 10. Movie fandom and genre fandom worked sort of in tandem with my box-office interest, so when BBSes like Compuserve and Prodigy came around, that supplemented me reading more traditional stuff like newspapers and genre magazines like Cinefantastique and Starlog. The internet and Usenet groups lead me to sites like AICN and Dark Horizons and Comingsoon when they launched, and those led to more specific fan sites like theforce.net and tolkienonline.com. I had been aware of Mojo and checked its main page regularly but I didn’t discover their forums until... I wanna say sometime in 2001? I made an account and started following the forums avidly to follow the FOTR run, but I was basically a lurker for the most part. Outside of the various LOTR runs I didn’t really engage in the discussions, until the lead-up to AVATAR. Then I couldn’t resist continually telling Kal he was wrong. :lol: 

Around that time, I discovered WorldofKJ (I didn’t post a lot there but I read it all the time), and also Filmgasm (I didn’t have much of a presence there).

When Mojo went bust, I found Shawn’s Mojo Refugee forum — I think someone mentioned it on an IMDB forum — that led to BO.com which lead to here.  

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Filmgasm

Now there is a blast from the past. Whoa. What was your username on KJ and Filmgasm?

Filmgasm became too much of a social thing. Prime WorldOfKJ should have formed a consulting group back in the day, there was much substance to the posting content. Not a knock but the discussions there were so educational to the formative mind at the time, unlike some other forums out there...

Edited by excel1

Also fun is seeing how opening weekend records have evolved over the time. Harry Potter set the record that Lost World held for more than 4 years only for Spider-Man to blast past $100M less than six months later before the opening record would fall another 4 times until Avengers smashed $200M+ on Spider-Man's 10th anniversary which would also fall a few more times until Endgame would absolutely demolish $300M 7 years later. Even with the uncertainty of what the future will hold, it's gonna be a long time until we see that kind of upfront demand again.

6 hours ago, excel1 said:

Now there is a blast from the past. Whoa. What was your username on KJ and Filmgasm?

Filmgasm became too much of a social thing. Prime WorldOfKJ should have formed a consulting group back in the day, there was much substance to the posting content. Not a knock but the discussions there were so educational to the formative mind at the time, unlike some other forums out there...

The KJ folks certainly held themselves in high opinion. :lol: (tbf there was a certain amount of crossover between posters

who were members on all the sites). My KJ name was Telemachos, I think. Can’t remember on Filmgasm but something along those lines, I’m pretty consistent with my usernames. 😂😂😂

6 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I was vaguely aware of the box-office in the early- to mid-80s but I didn’t really start avidly following it until the summer of ‘89, with LAST CRUSADE and BATMAN. On Mondays, I’d always read the Datebook section of the SF Chronicle to get the weekend top 10. Movie fandom and genre fandom worked sort of in tandem with my box-office interest, so when BBSes like Compuserve and Prodigy came around, that supplemented me reading more traditional stuff like newspapers and genre magazines like Cinefantastique and Starlog. The internet and Usenet groups lead me to sites like AICN and Dark Horizons and Comingsoon when they launched, and those led to more specific fan sites like theforce.net and tolkienonline.com. I had been aware of Mojo and checked its main page regularly but I didn’t discover their forums until... I wanna say sometime in 2001? I made an account and started following the forums avidly to follow the FOTR run, but I was basically a lurker for the most part. Outside of the various LOTR runs I didn’t really engage in the discussions, until the lead-up to AVATAR. Then I couldn’t resist continually telling Kal he was wrong. :lol: 

Around that time, I discovered WorldofKJ (I didn’t post a lot there but I read it all the time), and also Filmgasm (I didn’t have much of a presence there).

When Mojo went bust, I found Shawn’s Mojo Refugee forum — I think someone mentioned it on an IMDB forum — that led to BO.com which lead to here.  

Out of reactions but good write-up :) I wanted, for old times sake, to make a joke asking which 80s you were talking about, but not today.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The KJ folks certainly held themselves in high opinion. :lol: (tbf there was a certain amount of crossover between posters

who were members on all the sites). My KJ name was Telemachos, I think. Can’t remember on Filmgasm but something along those lines, I’m pretty consistent with my usernames. 😂😂😂

Ah Telemachos, I remember you. 

Well TBH KJ, at it's peak, had a lot of substance to their posts. They just did. Lecter, Magnus, Xaiyun, Baba, Libs were all very bright. That place was able to really stick to the subject of box office grosses for a while. It is very sad what that place has become in a way - an epic decline from what it was on one hand, but suppose it is great that all of the long term vets have moved on with their lives. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Ah Telemachos, I remember you. 

Well TBH KJ, at it's peak, had a lot of substance to their posts. They just did. Lecter, Magnus, Xaiyun, Baba, Libs were all very bright. That place was able to really stick to the subject of box office grosses for a while. It is very sad what that place has become in a way - an epic decline from what it was on one hand, but suppose it is great that all of the long term vets have moved on with their lives. :) 

Xiayun had a kid, right? He’s probably the one I remember being the best across the board (all genres, etc) with his predictions.

• Like 1

Animation got me into box office, I started vaguely following it when I was 11, around the time of KFP2 and Cars 2. I started tracking box office when The Lorax has its run, and started following regular box office then looking at great runs. I found the forum around 2016 on accident during the time of BVS and watched on in silence, then I joined in July of that year.

• Like 2