filmlover

Nomadland | 2/19/21 in select theaters/drive-ins and on Hulu | Searchlight | Golden Lion winner

4 hours ago, imbruglia said:

can't wait to see this.  

and it's really funny to see all that negativity suddenly popping up as it became front runner of this award season.. lol

This is a norm for the past GG winner. The revenant, la la land, green book, 3 billboards all suffered backlash after their GG win  

10 hours ago, Eric and Jerry said:

The NYC cinema reopening is just in time for Normadland to just for award buzz box office, especially considering NY is a big hub for artsy movie.   

Six Oscar Nominations:

- Best Picture;

- Best Director;

- Best Adapted Screenplay;

- Best Actress;

- Best Cinematography;

- Best Editing.

Chloe Zhao the first asian and non-white woman nominated for Best Director. She is also the first woman to get 4 nominations in a single year.

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

I don't understand why the awards ceromonies are still taking place when its been a dead year for movies 

Most of the films nominated are still very worthy of awards attention, particularly Nomadland, Minari, Trial of the Chicago 7, Judas and the Black Messiah, Sound of Metal and Promising Young Woman. In a normal year I think those films would have been nominated anyway (although I do think PYW is a bit of a wildcard, as fantastic as Carey Mulligan is). If anything, awards season has been relatively unaffected as they’ve just put the films on streaming, it’s the blockbusters that have been postponed and made it seem like a dead year.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Most of the films nominated are still very worthy of awards attention, particularly Nomadland, Minari, Trial of the Chicago 7, Judas and the Black Messiah, Sound of Metal and Promising Young Woman. In a normal year I think those films would have been nominated anyway (although I do think PYW is a bit of a wildcard, as fantastic as Carey Mulligan is). If anything, awards season has been relatively unaffected as they’ve just put the films on streaming, it’s the blockbusters that have been postponed and made it seem like a dead year.

Many of those films are the sort of movies that are good but wouldn't usually make the cut in a normal year. I guess in a way it allows some people to get recognition as in any other year they will have likely been overlooked with stiffer competition. 

Imo, the Best Picture lineup is excellent this year. True, there are no real masterpieces this year (except maybe Nomadland which comes close in my opinion) and last year had stronger films in general, but I think all of the films deserved their nomination. I think, that's not always the case (last year, I didn't care much about Jojo Rabbit or Joker and the year before, all of the nominated films were pretty weak, except Roma, The Favourite and A Star is Born). But, you're probably right, some of the films are small, independent films, like Minari, Sound of Metal or The Father, which maybe would've been overlooked, if more big studio or awards bait films had been released. I'm also not sure, if Vinterberg would've gotten a Best Director nomination in a normal year, but I'm super happy for him.

• Like 1

Lmao an official Amazon twitter account is using this film's (and based on the excerpts I've read, way toned down from the book) presentation of Amazon's working conditions as proof that, like shown in the movie, it's actually not that bad.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

Wait....whu?

When you're desperate for clicks during the most joyless and irrelevant awards season ever and need a break from "this is how the pandemic is impacting the industry today" articles that you've been stuck with for over a year.

• Like 1