Ethan Hunt

Film Festival Discussion thread

I’d personally rather wait until Y9, upon further reflection. Mainly because I feel for the festival to work we’d have to an idea on not only how we do it but getting the judges, as well as writing time. And if we don’t have a concrete idea of the ground, we’re stalling Y8 further which is kind of what hurt 2.0 CAYOM.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

Here are my opinions:

• I still disagree on the restrictions with genre films and to an extent the restrictions on length
  • I think if it's going to happen before Y8 starts, Y8 itself has to be pushed back
  • I feel there needs to be a clear host for the festival because I think it being a community effort could end up messy given how many disagreements there already are
  • While I won't stomp my feet over how the judge selection pans out, I do feel the judges shouldn't be people who've submitted for the competition so to avoid bias, or at least that person shouldn't be involved in the judging of their own work
Edited by cookie
  • Like 5

I would like to persue doing ththe festival in Y8 and pushing back the opening of Part 1 personally. 

I think a budgetary cap of 40M was fairly agreed upon.

As far as judging I don't think people who submit should be out of the running for judging (particularly if most of us participate) but i do agree with cookie that should refrain from scoring their own material. If anyone in particular is interested in judging feel free to express. 

Not a fan of genre restrictions but as always encourage creative new exciting work  

:)

• Like 2

My recommendation is:

People can submit one film "in competition" and one "out of competition"

Budget cap for submitted films at 50m.

No "franchise" films submitted.

The festival is run by 3 judges. They can submit a film "out of competition" but cannot submit "in competition".

Perhaps the restrictions are relaxed for OOC films, since bigger budget films have been premiered OOC at many IRL film festivals.

My preference is to start with Y9, but if we do it Y8 then the Y8 start should be pushed back and a clear timeline set for the film festival. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Perhaps the restrictions are relaxed for OOC films, since bigger budget films have been premiered OOC at many IRL film festivals.

I think this could give me a reason to prioritize Wicker Man since it would be my OOC submission.

Edited by cookie

My Preference for this would be Y9, but I have a proposition for how this could play out:

• The festival submissions September 7th, but there’s a two week deadline on September 21st. No extensions, whatever happens happens.
  • Then the festival begins on the 22nd as voting commenced during this.
  • The judges vote on the 28th
  • Judges should be declared before we have anything started.
  • Y8 submissions would start in October 6th.
  • Like 4

Well I mean the first order of business should be to gauge how many of us want to do it this year. And then the above schedule looks okay to but we can talk about it anyone else wants something different. And the obviously select judges

37 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

My Preference for this would be Y9, but I have a proposition for how this could play out:

• The festival submissions September 7th, but there’s a two week deadline on September 21st. No extensions, whatever happens happens.
  • Then the festival begins on the 22nd as voting commenced during this.
  • The judges vote on the 28th
  • Judges should be declared before we have anything started.
  • Y8 submissions would start in October 6th.

I think this is generally a solid idea. Here are some tweaks/expansions:

Public Submission for the Film Festival begins 1201 am on September 8th (cause labor day holiday stuff may be going on)

Submission period is 2 weeks, to September 22nd. One in competition and one out of competition film for regulars, one out of competition film for judges.

During the submission period, I would recommend a general discussion thread be present where regulars can give their own impressions of the film's they have read, reaction reports, etc. Like attending screenings 

On September 23rd, submissions close and the judges internally set up a schedule for reading all of the film's, in the order of being posted. My preference would be for the judges to synchronize reviews of the film's, both IC and OOC. My hope is this world go over the course of 7-10 days.

Once everything is read, the judges release say a shortlist of mutually agreed upon finalists (4-5 films). Then in private they vote on those films and determine a festival winner. This shouldn't take more than a day or two over PMs.

Y8 starts 10-14 days following the closing of the festival.

In the future we can time the festival to occur say 4 weeks following the previous Oscar ceremony.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

During the submission period, I would recommend a general discussion thread be present where regulars can give their own impressions of the film's they have read, reaction reports, etc. Like attending screenings 

Wouldn't this influence the judges' opinions later, though? I feel personally they should be in a vacuum.

Edited by cookie

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

Wouldn't this influence the judges' opinions later, though?

I mean I like to think we don't bow to peer pressure. But my assumption was the films would be posted publicly and it'd be hard to tell people to stay mum on things they've read.

It's certainly something that can be worked out

Edited by 4815162342

11 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I mean I like to think we don't bow to peer pressure.

My concern isn't so much peer pressure as much as influencing opinions subconsciously i.e. a submission becoming the victim of too high/too low expectations, or if an aspect becomes controversial between those who have read it previously actively influencing the discourse once the judging phase begins.

I guess I just prefer full impartiality when it comes to direct competition.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

If it is this year, I likely won't be participating in the film submission. I think I'll mainly be focusing on working ahead on my Y8 slate instead and take advantage of the time extension to knock those out. 

However, I would be very happy to be participate as a judge for the festival.

• Like 1