Ethan Hunt

Film Festival Discussion thread

Iirc, in 2.0, the films for the festival were sent exclusively to the judges. So essentially they served as mass pre reads with public feedback revealed. I had assumed we would keep that system and not assume everyone was reading every film submitted to the festival 

• Like 2

Will preface my thoughts by saying I apologize for how I handled things in the chat earlier, I think I was more frustrated at myself for not articulating my viewpoints better and I think it just blew the whole thing out of proportion.

As far as the timetable goes I agree with @YourMother the Edgelord's proposition. It gives us enough time to hash out things like what are film selections would be, and who the judges are, and it doesn't push the start of the Part 1 thread too far off.

I'm willing to let go of my "no genre films" argument, but I still think we should prohibit films that are a part of an existing CAYOM franchise from consideration, regardless of whether they are being submitted in-competition or out-of-competition. I also think we should impose budgetary constraints that are less restrictive that would apply to out-of-competition, like a maximum of $100 million.

I understand the concerns about a word-count limit, but I also worry that with a shorter timeframe for writing if people aren't able to complete films with a longer word-count in time for the submission deadline, and thus we would end up with less films for the festival. I think a 10k word-count cap for submitted films makes sense. While I'm willing to hear arguments about that potentially being too constraining for other players, I would add that any reasonable timeframe for the festival that doesn't delay the start of Year 8 would be equally constraining for someone planning on writing a 20-30k film.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Iirc, in 2.0, the films for the festival were sent exclusively to the judges. So essentially they served as mass pre reads with public feedback revealed. I had assumed we would keep that system and not assume everyone was reading every film submitted to the festival 

I also agree that we should keep this precedent for the festival in 3.0. Otherwise there's not really a point in having a jury for a festival if everyone has read the films and can form their own opinions on them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I understand the concerns about a word-count limit, but I also worry that with a shorter timeframe for writing if people aren't able to complete films with a longer word-count in time for the submission deadline, and thus we would end up with less films for the festival. I think a 10k word-count cap for submitted films makes sense. While I'm willing to hear arguments about that potentially being too constraining for other players, I would add that any reasonable timeframe for the festival that doesn't delay the start of Year 8 would be equally constraining for someone planning on writing a 20-30k film.

I think, kinda like with budgets, that WC limits be stricter with in-competition films than out of, so it would be up to the submitter what they seek to prioritize (and if the OOC list is smaller, then that's fine).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I think, kinda like with budgets, that WC limits be stricter with in-competition films than out of, so it would be up to the submitter what they seek to prioritize (and if the OOC list is smaller, then that's fine).

So perhaps something like 15k or 20k for OOC films? Or would we want to strip word count limits entirely for them?

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

My Preference for this would be Y9, but I have a proposition for how this could play out:

• The festival submissions September 7th, but there’s a two week deadline on September 21st. No extensions, whatever happens happens.
  • Then the festival begins on the 22nd as voting commenced during this.
  • The judges vote on the 28th
  • Judges should be declared before we have anything started.
  • Y8 submissions would start in October 6th.

In addition to this, the Y8 deadline would be probably be November 23rd. If most us compete, we should have around 10 films ready, which is like 13.5% of our usual 80. And potentially allow us to start Y8 quicker.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

I'm also asking if we can submit films that have started production or are already finished before the festival period begins — in part because I'm sitting on a finished film that would meet the currently agreed upon criteria for an IC submission.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

Idea:

In competition has a budget limit of $30M or under, and a word count limit of let’s 10K at the most.

Out of competition has a budget limit of $100M or under but the word count stuff is more loose. But at most let’s say 15K.

Either way same rules apply, no franchise films.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

So perhaps something like 15k or 20k for OOC films? Or would we want to strip word count limits entirely for them?

I think since the OOC submissions will be at the players' own behest then there doesn't need to be a hard limit imo.

Edited by cookie

33 minutes ago, cookie said:

My concern isn't so much peer pressure as much as influencing opinions subconsciously i.e. a submission becoming the victim of too high/too low expectations, or if an aspect becomes controversial between those who have read it previously actively influencing the discourse once the judging phase begins.

I guess I just prefer full impartiality when it comes to direct competition.

I mean IRL people watch and review films that are screened before the judges make their decisions. I just don't think it'll be that big a deal.

But if people are concerned about that then there could be an embargo on non-judge reactions/reviews until after the judges release theirs.

No to word count limits. 100% no. Let people write the films they want to write.

@cookie you can submit whatever you want to the festival so long as it falls under whatever guidelines we agree on.

@Blankments I would prefer to do away with the private exclusive jury system for the inverse reason cookie gave. If he is concerned about public reactions influencing judge expectations, then the judge reviews/decisions would have the same effect on the rest of us.

• Like 1

@Alpha Again, how is that any different from a IRL film festival? People who aren't on the jury watch films in festivals all the time, and it seems to work well enough.

If we want to hold a festival, it should be an actual festival where everyone gets to participate and enjoy the early previews of what Part 1 has to offer.

7 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

@Alpha Again, how is that any different from a IRL film festival? People who aren't on the jury watch films in festivals all the time, and it seems to work well enough.

If we want to hold a festival, it should be an actual festival where everyone gets to participate and enjoy the early previews of what Part 1 has to offer.

How about, everyone can read but the judges get the first crack at that them. Or everyone read simultaneously but after judges post their reviews.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

How about, everyone can read but the judges get the first crack at that them. Or everyone read simultaneously but after judges post their reviews.

I suggested an "embargo" in one of my posts above where no public reactions get posted until after the judges do their official releasing of reviews for the film

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Blankments said:

So are we doing this for y8 or no 

I want to! This sounds really fun!

I like Numbers's idea about everyone having up to three films, where one is judged in-competition, one is judged out-of-competition, and the other one is publicly showed off out-of-competition.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I want to! This sounds really fun!

I like Numbers's idea about everyone having up to three films, where one is judged in-competition, one is judged out-of-competition, and the other one is publicly showed off out-of-competition.

Uh I said two. One in competition and one out of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1