Ethan Hunt

Film Festival Discussion thread

On 8/21/2020 at 4:12 PM, 4815162342 said:

I think this is generally a solid idea. Here are some tweaks/expansions:

Public Submission for the Film Festival begins 1201 am on September 8th (cause labor day holiday stuff may be going on)

Submission period is 2 weeks, to September 22nd. One in competition and one out of competition film for regulars, one out of competition film for judges.

During the submission period, I would recommend a general discussion thread be present where regulars can give their own impressions of the film's they have read, reaction reports, etc. Like attending screenings 

On September 23rd, submissions close and the judges internally set up a schedule for reading all of the film's, in the order of being posted. My preference would be for the judges to synchronize reviews of the film's, both IC and OOC. My hope is this world go over the course of 7-10 days.

Once everything is read, the judges release say a shortlist of mutually agreed upon finalists (4-5 films). Then in private they vote on those films and determine a festival winner. This shouldn't take more than a day or two over PMs.

Y8 starts 10-14 days following the closing of the festival.

In the future we can time the festival to occur say 4 weeks following the previous Oscar ceremony.

I love the schedule but are we still doing the embargo on public opinions until after the judges reveal.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 4:28 PM, Rorschach said:

If it is this year, I likely won't be participating in the film submission. I think I'll mainly be focusing on working ahead on my Y8 slate instead and take advantage of the time extension to knock those out. 

However, I would be very happy to be participate as a judge for the festival.

Would you still be interested in being a judge.

Unrealted note but @Spaghetti and @Reddroast said they’d be judges 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2

I think it should be made clear that what you submit is what you release that year.

You don't get to use the festival as a massive pre-read and then change things around.

Otherwise it kinda defeats the purpose of a festival since people would then have to read the thing all over again.

• Like 2

Question: besides Best Film, would we have other awards like Cannes? (Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Screenplay)

I assume we wouldn't separately classify original or adapted screenplays, or leading and supporting roles, and we'd just pick the winner with the most votes instead of having a selection of nominees.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1