Ethan Hunt

Film Festival Discussion thread

18 hours ago, Alpha said:

Question: besides Best Film, would we have other awards like Cannes? (Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Screenplay)

I assume we wouldn't separately classify original or adapted screenplays, or leading and supporting roles, and we'd just pick the winner with the most votes instead of having a selection of nominees.

I would say only the "judges" pick things internally.

I would also not gender divide categories.

So it would be a winner and say a runner-up for Film, Director, Actor, and Screenplay.

• Like 3

For reasons that are difficult to explain in a respectful (and spoiler-free) context, I've decided to suspend writing on The Wicker Man and not move forward with submitting it as my OOC pick. I still intend to put it out in Y8, but I'll be looking at a replacement film (likely from my backlog) that I will try to put together within the time allotted — if nothing else, the agreed upon budget limit does allow for a few different options.

I will not announce this film until it's done. If it isn't finished in time, I likely won't spend the additional time needed to complete it, since I want to move forward with my intended Y8 schedule before long.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

I believe the Film Festival is scheduled to open today.

I would recommend one of the judges @Spaghetti @Reddroast @Rorschach put up the official submission thread, which includes in the first post all of the rules/scheduling agreed to in this thread and the related forum polls.

The rules/schedule as agreed upon:

• In-Competition Budget Limit is $40 Million
  • OOC Budget Limit is $100 Million
  • Public Submission for the Film Festival begins today and lasts for 2 weeks until September 22nd. One film may be submitted in-competition and one film out-of-competition. Judges can only submit a single film out of competition. There will be a submission thread set up by one of the judges. There will be a separate discussion/announcement thread run by the judges too.
  • Once submissions close following the 22nd, the judges will internally set up a schedule for reading all of the submitting films, in whatever order they agree upon, so the judges read the same films at the same time. The judges will write their reviews of each film and circulate them with each other (via a PM thread) so that one of the judges can post all of the reviews simultaneously.
  • While non-judges are able to read the films, ALL NON-JUDGE REVIEWS/REACTIONS ARE EMBARGOED UNTIL THE JUDGES REVIEW THE PARTICULAR FILM!!!! The discussion thread prior to judge reviews can be used for more general, non-spoiler/non-reaction talk about the festival.
  • Following the finishing of Judge Reviews, the Judges internally confer, and vote on the following categories: Best Film, Best Director, Best Acting Performance (no division by Gender or Lead/Supporting), Best Screenplay (no division between original/adapted). The winner and runner-up will be publicly announced for each category

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 5

Would suggest halving the current budget limits on submitted films ($20m IC, $50m OOC). From the looks of it most of the submitted films (both IC and OOC) didn't break the $40m budget mark, and I think having lower-budgeted films helped to establish a separate identity for the festival apart from the rest of Y8.

I also still believe we should establish a 10k word count limit for all submitted films, both IC and OOC, since without one we could end up in two scenarios: (a) the start of Year 9 gets pushed back to accommodate those writing longer films, and/or (b) we end up with a reduced slate of films since writers aren't able to complete their longer films in time for a hard deadline.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Would suggest halving the current budget limits on submitted films ($20m IC, $50m OOC). From the looks of it most of the submitted films (both IC and OOC) didn't break the $40m budget mark, and I think having lower-budgeted films helped to establish a separate identity for the festival apart from the rest of Y8.

I also still believe we should establish a 10k word count limit for all submitted films, both IC and OOC, since without one we could end up in two scenarios: (a) the start of Year 9 gets pushed back to accommodate those writing longer films, and/or (b) we end up with a reduced slate of films since writers aren't able to complete their longer films in time for a hard deadline.

I like both of these ideas

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

For point 1 I would be fine with a budget reduction, but I would suggest 25/75 if we reduce.

• Like 1

To avoid a deadlock, I suggest a compromise budget change from 50M IC / 100M OOC to 37.5M IC / 75 OOC (rather than 25 IC), which splits the middle between 25M and 50M. 37.5M is still plenty of money while also guaranteeing a mid-budget approach in terms of scope. And I do like the 10,000 word count limit for sure.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Disbelief 1

Another question I have is, what would be a good timeframe for the festival submission period? One month? A little bit less or a little bit more?

I was thinking about starting it on Friday Sept. 17th and ending it on Sunday October 17th.

Edited by SLAM!

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

To avoid a deadlock, I suggest a compromise budget change from 50M IC / 100M OOC to 37.5M IC / 75 OOC (rather than 25 IC), which splits the middle between 25M and 50M. 37.5M is still plenty of money while also guaranteeing a mid-budget approach in terms of scope. And I do like the 10,000 word count limit for sure.

I mean hold on, we're not at a deadlock. It's only Redd that thinks we should keep the IC budget limit the same and I want to hear why he thinks the limit is "fine where it is."

Personally I think it's because most of our IC stuff fell under the $20m mark, and at IRL festivals you're not gonna see a lot of mid-budget stuff premiering IC.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I mean hold on, we're not at a deadlock. It's only Redd that thinks we should keep the IC budget limit the same and I want to hear why he thinks the limit is "fine where it is."

Personally I think it's because most of our IC stuff fell under the $20m mark, and at IRL festivals you're not gonna see a lot of mid-budget stuff premiering IC.

Ok so when think that the festival should be where show what we think are Oscar contenders (IC) and smaller genre works. (OOC). I feel cutting the budget hurts cutting IC films that use a bigger ensemble cast. Black and Blue is one of one of those films that would be affected. Right now I have the budget for it pegged at 40 million. There is no way I could do it for 20 million for the cast I have planned for it. 

Edited by Reddroast