Boxofficerules

Weekend Thread: Asgard Saturday #s - New Mutants 2.48, Unhinged 1.2, Bill and Ted 415K | RIP Chadwick Boseman

7 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

https://deadline.com/2020/08/new-mutants-opening-weekend-box-office-coronavirus-1203025795/

Important to remember is that all the major chains refused to play the movie because they care more about the dumbass theatrical window rather than making money. It's like Regal/AMC/et al want to fail

Yea it’s only playing at the Indi theatre here. Landmark, Canada’s 2nd biggest chain is playing it, but I haven’t seen it at any Cineplex’s

• Disbelief 1

40 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

That Unhinged 2.2m estimate got me worried if my worst fear is in.

No matter how low the opening number, you will drop like during the normal situation. I am afraid there will be no spillover effect. 

A 44% drop seems pretty good for a movie that seems to be having bad WoM so far.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

A 44% drop seems pretty good for a movie that seems to be having bad WoM so far.

Not so when you factor in +500 theaters. The drop was similar to those bombed title under normal circumstances. and the WoM don't seem bad, they just meh

5 minutes ago, Frozen said:

New Mutants was fine. No where near the worst x-men film. It was much better than Dark Phoenix and Age of Apocalypse. It actually might have made a cool limited series on Netflix. 

Just got back and I’m amazed it cost $100m, looked like $5-10m. 

It’ll be a fight for that worst actress razzie between Maisie Williams & Anya Taylor Joy. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

3 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

for what it's worth Unhinged took an absolute slashing at my theater (20 screens) in terms of showtimes last weekend compared to this weekend (12 showings per day last weekend down to 3 a day this weekend)

I think that's thing with capacity being so limited. It is hard to have more than one release at a time. New Mutants will also drop like a rock next weekend for both WOM and capacity reasons. 

7 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Why didn't Unhinged get a CinemaScore, despite getting a wide release?

Same thing with New Mutants? What's going on? Are they avoiding pollings or anything like that?

Maybe some cities they poll are closed?

15 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Why didn't Unhinged get a CinemaScore, despite getting a wide release?

Same thing with New Mutants? What's going on? Are they avoiding pollings or anything like that?

Doesn't the cinemascore system involve giving everyone a card then collecting them all? If so, I can imagine with all the touching it's not worth the risk right now. 

• Like 1

Tenet jumped about 12% today in Victoria (from what I've looked at, which is still just a rough estimate). Guess it's not what I would have hoped, but considering how hard New Mutants fell, it's not nearly as bad as things could have been. 

• Like 2

Since Deadline hasn't mentioned Canada numbers of TENET, they are most likely not reported, which TBH suck. If WB gonna roll all of Canada 7-8 days in NA opening day (?), that will suck. Though IIRC, they have reported the sneaks for Aquaman, A Star is Born separately.

Spoiler
Dec 15, 2018 Saturday 5 $2,900,000 - - 1,225 $2,367 $2,900,000 -
Dec 19, 2018 Wednesday 3 $1,800,000 - - 200 $9,000 $4,700,000 -
Dec 21, 2018 Friday 1 $27,733,155 - - 4,125 $6,723 $32,433,155 1

but Fantastic Beasts 2, they added in OD, so who knows

Spoiler
Nov 16, 2018 Friday 1 $25,473,261 - - 4,163 $6,118 $25,473,261 1
Nov 17, 2018 Saturday 1 $21,321,824 -16.3% - 4,163 $5,121 $46,795,085 2
Nov 18, 2018 Sunday 1 $15,368,019 -27.9% - 4,163 $3,691 $62,163,104 3

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2