SLAM!

Best Supporting Actor - 2020

It's a very timely moment to open this thread. The tragic loss of Chadwick Boseman may lead to a posthumous Oscar win, as he plays a supporting role in the upcoming Netflix film Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. Posthumous nominations don't always come to fruition; it didn't pan out for Alan Rickman in Eye in the Sky, and it didn't pan out for Harry Dean Stanton in Lucky. So it may depend on the role Boseman has. But in as quiet of an awards year as this, Boseman could very well have a winning narrative that others in the Supporting Actor category won't be able to match. I think a lot of people would like to see him win, including myself.

My current nomination predictions are as follows:

Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Bill Murray, On The Rocks

LaKeith Stanfield, Judas and the Black Messiah

David Strathairn, Nomadland

(an ensemble actor from The Trial of the Chicago 7)

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SLAM! said:

It's a very timely moment to open this thread. The tragic loss of Chadwick Boseman may lead to a posthumous Oscar win, as he plays a supporting role in the upcoming Netflix film Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. Posthumous nominations don't always come to fruition; it didn't pan out for Alan Rickman in Eye in the Sky, and it didn't pan out for Harry Dean Stanton in Lucky. So it may depend on the role Boseman has. But in as quiet of an awards year as this, Boseman could very well have a winning narrative that others in the Supporting Actor category won't be able to match. I think a lot of people would like to see him win, including myself.

My current nomination predictions are as follows:

Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Bill Murray, On The Rocks

LaKeith Stanfield, Judas and the Black Messiah

David Strathairn, Nomadland

(an ensemble actor from The Trial of the Chicago 7)

FWIW Boseman's role in the play was nominated in the Featured Actor category at the Tony Awards originally although a lot of articles were already mentioning him as a co-lead with Davis before his passing so he might be a Lead contender too (never seen the play so no idea - the role of Ma Rainey was apparently also nominated in Featured too and that won't be the case with the movie with Davis headlining). Even if that were the case he'll likely be placed here since Oldman is sure to be Netflix's main Actor push.

• Like 3

I think he wins for various reasons, not just his death, but who he represented to many people in his role as Black Panther, and also because of all BLM stuff going on right now. I would be very surprised if he didn't get a posthumous award. He also was battling cancer, and died young, so I think there are a lot of factors that will lead to his win.

• Like 1

Steven Yeun might be nominated, but he could also go lead for Minari. Charles Dance is a clear push for Mank. Leslie Odom, Jr. will probably be nominated for One Night in Miami. It would be a simple enterprise to campaign Richard E. Grant for Everybody's Talking About Jamie

Ugh. The thread is awkward, and the category is awkward. I feel like we need more definitive information on who's being campaigned lead and who's being campaigned supporting.

If Netflix is campaigning him as lead, no way is he winning supporting for Da 5 Bloods. It’ll be another Alan Rickmann situation, it’s not the type of role that would get anywhere near a nomination otherwise 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

If Netflix is campaigning him as lead, no way is he winning supporting for Da 5 Bloods. It’ll be another Alan Rickmann situation, it’s not the type of role that would get anywhere near a nomination otherwise 

What does Alan Rickman have to do with anything lol

30 minutes ago, Blankments said:

What does Alan Rickman have to do with anything lol

Alan Rickman in Eye in the Sky; the role wasn't significant enough for an Oscar nomination regardless of the posthumous nature of it, and the same can be said for Boseman in Da 5 Bloods because of how cameo-ish the role is.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Yep, just like I said in the best actor 2020 thread; Chicago 7 is very much an ensemble film which it conveyed quite clearly within its first few minutes. My guess would be either Sacha or Yahya getting the nomination.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2

Got a feeling it's gonna be Rylance who is the movie's acting representation given that he's a recent winner (and one of the more surprising acting wins in recent memory) and one of the few in the ensemble that you could really make a case for being in Lead. Could see it being Langella as well since this category loves nominating (and sometimes even rewarding) antagonist roles. Yahya is at the center of one of the movie's more hard-hitting moments but probably won't happen now that he's competing with everyone from his movie. On the bright side his Oscar nomination probably isn't too far off anyway with all the big/exciting projects he has in the pipeline.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blankments said:

but... why be like “that’s never happening” if no one implied it would be happening 

I’m so confused 

I coulda sworn I heard talk about it somewhere, maybe not this thread, but in da 5 bloods, black panther, or CC thread after his passing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clockwork said:

Yep, just like I said in the best actor 2020 thread; Chicago 7 is very much an ensemble film which it conveyed quite clearly within its first few minutes. My guess would be either Sacha or Yahya getting the nomination.

Sacha will be in best actor for Borat.