SLAM!

Best Supporting Actor - 2020

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I could absolutely see Chadwick getting a nod for Da 5 Bloods if this category continues to be weak and Stanfield doesn't come out (and Mank has no clear contender). 

I think Dance would be the obvious contender, no? He has the and credit

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Very possible! He's playing Hearst and he's a bigish name. But Orson Welles....man, that can be a showy part if it's a big role.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I could absolutely see Chadwick getting a nod for Da 5 Bloods if this category continues to be weak and Stanfield doesn't come out (and Mank has no clear contender). 

Which would be a damn shame since Peters and Whitlock would be far better picks (Peters especially)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blankments said:

Scott Feinberg has seen Mank and he thinks it's very unlikely Dance gets nominated. @Cmasterclay I heard Welles is basically a cameo role in Mank, so I doubt the guy playing him will get nominated too.

Edited by lorddemaxus

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

Chadwick won't be nominated for Da 5 Bloods. Usually posthumous performances need to have some sort of buzz attached to them before their passing, and there was already a lot more chatter for his work in Ma Rainey.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Yeah, Kaluuya is absolutely a lead in Judas and the Black Messiah. I guess it’s just following in the proud tradition of “second character mentioned in title = clearly supporting” footsteps of Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. I’ll be happy to see him get nominated anywhere for his performance (it’s his best work to date, I think), but it does feel like cheap, blatant category fraud that he’s being shifted to supporting.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 7:37 PM, Eric Gardner said:

So...why is Kaluuya going supporting in this? Having seen the movie...this is his movie. He is the focus of several scenes, he has top billing, Fred Hampton is the driving factor to just about every scene. Dude's a total lead.

It's been measured and Daniel has slightly less screentime than LaKeith, so...

Also, Chadwick is very likely to win in lead, so if you can get away with a Supporting placement and also improve your odds for the gold... 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I just watched Judas earlier and Kaluuya is co-lead with Stanfield. Those tend to be easily frauded into Supporting, especially if they feel that's their strongest chance of winning (a gamble that has paid off in recent years for Supporting winners who were really Leads like Brad Pitt, Viola Davis, Alicia Vikander, and Mahershala Ali's second trophy).