google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
SLAM!

Best Supporting Actor - 2020

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I could absolutely see Chadwick getting a nod for Da 5 Bloods if this category continues to be weak and Stanfield doesn't come out (and Mank has no clear contender). 

I think Dance would be the obvious contender, no? He has the and credit

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I think Dance would be the obvious contender, no? He has the and credit

Very possible! He's playing Hearst and he's a bigish name. But Orson Welles....man, that can be a showy part if it's a big role.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I could absolutely see Chadwick getting a nod for Da 5 Bloods if this category continues to be weak and Stanfield doesn't come out (and Mank has no clear contender). 

 

Which would be a damn shame since Peters and Whitlock would be far better picks (Peters especially)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blankments said:

I think Dance would be the obvious contender, no? He has the and credit

Scott Feinberg has seen Mank and he thinks it's very unlikely Dance gets nominated. @Cmasterclay I heard Welles is basically a cameo role in Mank, so I doubt the guy playing him will get nominated too.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, grim22 said:

Sacha will be in best actor for Borat.

Probably not. His performance in Trial is much more buzzy and Actor is too stacked atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chadwick won't be nominated for Da 5 Bloods. Usually posthumous performances need to have some sort of buzz attached to them before their passing, and there was already a lot more chatter for his work in Ma Rainey.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love Clarke Peters to win. He made me nearly cry in that movie. Also, he played Lester fucking Freamon!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, filmlover said:

Chadwick won't be nominated for Da 5 Bloods. Usually posthumous performances need to have some sort of buzz attached to them before their passing, and there was already a lot more chatter for his work in Ma Rainey.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judas is very likely coming out before next year's Oscars deadline (it got submitted for the SAG awards) and Kaluuya is supposedly going for supporting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Judas is very likely coming out before next year's Oscars deadline (it got submitted for the SAG awards) and Kaluuya is supposedly going for supporting.

 

"And there goes the battle!"

 

610163-pokemon-stadium-nintendo-64-scree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...why is Kaluuya going supporting in this? Having seen the movie...this is his movie. He is the focus of several scenes, he has top billing, Fred Hampton is the driving factor to just about every scene. Dude's a total lead.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Kaluuya is absolutely a lead in Judas and the Black Messiah. I guess it’s just following in the proud tradition of “second character mentioned in title = clearly supporting” footsteps of Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. I’ll be happy to see him get nominated anywhere for his performance (it’s his best work to date, I think), but it does feel like cheap, blatant category fraud that he’s being shifted to supporting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Odom, Kaluuya, and Murray are all nominated, I look forward to 3/5 of the category consisting of fraudulent placements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 7:37 PM, Eric Gardner said:

So...why is Kaluuya going supporting in this? Having seen the movie...this is his movie. He is the focus of several scenes, he has top billing, Fred Hampton is the driving factor to just about every scene. Dude's a total lead.

 

It's been measured and Daniel has slightly less screentime than LaKeith, so...

 

 

Also, Chadwick is very likely to win in lead, so if you can get away with a Supporting placement and also improve your odds for the gold... 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched Judas earlier and Kaluuya is co-lead with Stanfield. Those tend to be easily frauded into Supporting, especially if they feel that's their strongest chance of winning (a gamble that has paid off in recent years for Supporting winners who were really Leads like Brad Pitt, Viola Davis, Alicia Vikander, and Mahershala Ali's second trophy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.