Eric Duncan

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

20 minutes ago, Litio said:

Not sure if this "solid result" is enough for a movie that cost $300m+ (with marketing). Let's see.

25 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

You will need to try way harder than that to convince anyone with half a brain, that a brand new $200m budget movie opening behind a 2015 movie can be considered 'good'. Keep trying. 

Oh I am sure it’s losing a big chunk of money. Just looking at the model of Disney Plus, the result for Mulan seems pretty solid considering they are charging $30 to watch it compared to everything else in Disney Plus. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

No Tenet numbers still? so what are you guys predicting?

Well the longer they take to release it the longer my prediction goes down so...

Probably nothing too great unfortunately. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Well the longer they take to release it the longer my prediction goes down so...

Probably nothing too great unfortunately. 

if so then mon, BUT os numbers are very good so at least we should have those

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Mulan didn't even take the top spot on it's debut day, behind a 2015 movie. YIKES. Cinemas are going down and taking the whole industry with them. 

strange comparison given one of them was locked behind a $30 paywall. 

• Like 3

Not great

Warner Bros. long-awaited Christopher Nolan movie Tenet finally opened in the U.S., and together with its Canadian run, which began last weekend rang up $20.2M.

In the competition of whether Tenet or Mulan would have the better release strategy, the answer seems to be neither.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Mulan didn't even take the top spot on it's debut day, behind a 2015 movie. YIKES. Cinemas are going down and taking the whole industry with them. 

To be fair, it’d be absolutely shocking if it outranked everything else on Disney+ that was free to stream. There’s bound to be more people streaming “free” stuff like The Simpsons than there are people paying for Mulan. For Mulan to rank third among all the free stuff is actually pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20.2 million with 3 days domestic + 3 days of previews, + last weekend in Canada is not very good at all. 

At to be clear, I do believe this has everything to do with the pandemic and not with the movie itself. 

I'd imagine there are some conversations about WW84 going on right about now... 

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

How much is the Canadian run?

Probably 5-6m.

The OS minus China numbers are good, but right now thinking a final total of around 300-325m WW.

Edited by MrPink
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

20.2 million with 3 days domestic + 3 days of previews, + last weekend in Canada is not very good at all. 

At to be clear, I do believe this has everything to do with the pandemic and not with the movie itself. 

I'd imagine there are some conversations about WW84 going on right about now... 

Think the conversations about WW84 happened a while ago, there was never a chance of it releasing next month, unless tenet did super well.