Eric Duncan

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

Tenet here in the states made $2.8M from 272 Imax auditoriums though Monday, repping the large format exhibitor’s largest Labor Day opening ever, despite LA, NY, and San Francisco being closed. The figure reps 14% of Tenet‘s domestic number. 

Some independent chains we’re told are being charged a 63% rental by the studio, and that’s for the entire run of the Nolan movie (expected to be 12 weeks). 

Currently, Warner Bros.’ Wonder Woman 1984 is the next big movie on Oct. 2, unless it moves. Then it’s Universal/MGM’s Candyman on Oct. 16, 20th, Disney’s Death on the Nile on Oct. 23, and Disney’s Black Widow, which was part of the Tenet‘s pre-show trailers yesterday on Nov. 6. Exhibition will really need Black Widow, so Disney, please don’t pull a Mulan and send that pic to Disney+.

Disney hasn’t reported Mulan Disney+ revenue figures, and I imagine they won’t until an earnings call,

Rival industry sources with knowledge of PVOD are figuring that Disney may not have earned great presales on Disney+ for Mulan, where the pic was available for $29.99. The studio quickly announced it would be free in early December on the service, and all eyes are watching to see how quickly the film floats to Amazon and GooglePlay services before that free-date. With Disneyland still not open, and other parks still not at their full capacity, Disney needs to make money any way they can, and CEO Bob Chapek told investors Mulan wasn’t creating some new window.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/tenet-opening-weekend-box-office-1234571662/

I'd say keeping an eye on the higher grossing on the apple and google stores would be a good idea. Sensortower reports the grosses of the highest grossing app of the month too so it should give some indication of how much Mulan might've made and use that to extrapolate how much it would make in total.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Not good for Tenet but I don’t know if it shows people necessarily won’t come out to the movies Or if they didn’t want to come out for this movie since word I am seeing everywhere is that this movie is a confusing mess. A big hyped sequel for all we know could have done well

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'd say keeping an eye on the higher grossing on the apple and google stores would be a good idea. Sensortower reports the grosses of the highest grossing app of the month too so it should give some indication of how much Mulan might've made and use that to extrapolate how much it would make in total.

It would provide part of the picture but difficult to extrapolate what percentage of people used IAP through Google Play and iOS versus the Disney+ website, Android/Amazon/Roku/Apple smart tv and devices etc. Also don’t know if we would get WW numbers on that or just US depending on how it perforated. Also some of the revenue grossed would be people signing up for Disney+ so the complete revenue is not just Mulan.

Makes it near impossible to work out a total from those numbers I mean we could guess that iOS and Google play are a certain percentage (say 20% as most people in western markets watch on TV for the most part) but it likely wouldn’t give an accurate number. Best to use the revenue increase month on month for Disney+ (if we get it) as an indicator of how Mulan May have performed rather than trying to extrapolate Numbers. 

Edited by Jamiem

Warner Bros., in a note Sunday afternoon to press, said the studio was “very pleased” with initial results, stressing that the rollout of “Tenet” will be “a marathon not a sprint” — meaning it doesn’t need splashy inaugural weekend grosses to justify its release and turn a profit.

"There is literally no context in which to compare the results of a film opening during a pandemic with any other circumstance,” the studio said. “We are in unprecedented territory, so any comparisons to the pre-COVID world would be inequitable and baseless.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-box-office-opening-weekend-christopher-nolan-1234759699/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Not good for Tenet but I don’t know if it shows people necessarily won’t come out to the movies Or if they didn’t want to come out for this movie since word I am seeing everywhere is that this movie is a confusing mess. A big hyped sequel for all we know could have done well

Depends on the definition of doing well. If a hyped sequel movie that was able to open to $200M opens to $120M, is that doing well? 

1 minute ago, imbruglia said:

Warner Bros., in a note Sunday afternoon to press, said the studio was “very pleased” with initial results, stressing that the rollout of “Tenet” will be “a marathon not a sprint” — meaning it doesn’t need splashy inaugural weekend grosses to justify its release and turn a profit.

"There is literally no context in which to compare the results of a film opening during a pandemic with any other circumstance,” the studio said. “We are in unprecedented territory, so any comparisons to the pre-COVID world would be inequitable and baseless.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-box-office-opening-weekend-christopher-nolan-1234759699/

Well, they didn’t lie

Of course it probably could do a little better, but it’s very hard to judge the numbers because the whole situation is so complex and difficult 

• Like 1

20m including two Canada weekends and 4 additional domestic weekdays is awful. Obviously this would be a different story if NYC and LA were open but this is a bad start. It’s sad because international numbers are on fire and I want more movies this year. I hope WB doesn’t move WW84 but I feel like they have no choice 

15 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

I mean, shit, Warners, it’s almost like it wasn’t a very good idea to do this. 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ah ok. But I guess even if they don't, looking at mobile app gross would probably still be a better indication than looking at the D+ trending chart lol.

Eh, both would probably paint a small part of the picture. It would be useful to an extent don’t get me wrong but hardly going to tell us if Mulan was a success or not.

Same with the trending it’s great that Mulan has organically moved to the top spot over the course of the weekend but we don’t know other factors like how many of the Disney+ subs have used their account this weekend, how many watched The Simpsons or Cinderella and how far is Mulan now ahead of those in viewership etc. 

All this being said the more data we can cobble together the better, ideally Antenna Data is up to some of their magic and has worked out how many people are buying Mulan as we speak but I don’t hold out much hope for that to be the case as it seems like data that is hard to get your hands on unless you are one of the few people at Disney Streaming or the executive ranks of Disney to know.  

Edited by Jamiem

15 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Mulan hit #1 on D+

We’re probably never know the exact numbers, but it’s probably doing at least good

Being #1 trending doesn't make it #1 most streamed. Does it say anywhere on Disney+ website how they define "Trending"?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I wonder what the last non-holiday studio release was to get a 6.5x+ multi. 

Either Hidden Figures, which got a Best Picture nod a week or two after it expanded wide, or, if you don't wanna count that, Argo. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, shit, Warners, it’s almost like it wasn’t a very good idea to do this. 

Well someone needed to test the waters. The studios were in limbo not knowing what the market is like. 

Releasing Tenet gives WB valuable information which enables them to make informed decision on how to proceed with the rest of their slate.

I mean yes, that is a hefty price tag for some market research. And other studios will be glad that they weren't the one to take the hit with this first tentpole.

But I'm not sure it is a wholly "bad" idea.

• Like 1