Eric Atreides

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

This means we finally get a Nolan-comeback movie now that the filmmaker is forced to reckon with their flaws and channel their creativity into something that remains marketable and accessible to general audiences. In the past, talented Director's first big film following their first real "failure" has produced:

Stephen Spielberg: Raiders of The Lost Arc, E.T.

James Cameron: T2, True Lies

Michael Bay: Transformers 1

Scorsesee: Raging Bull

David Fincher (more than once) : Se7en, Fight Club, The Social Network 

Robert Zemikis: Forrest Gump

Ridley Scott (more than once): Gladiator, The Martian  

Tarantino (more than once): Kill Bill, Inglorious Bastards, Hollywood  

JJ Abrams: Da Force Awakens

Bryan Singer: Days of Future Past

Jon Favreau: Iron Man

Let's see what he has in store for us next. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This means we finally get a Nolan-comeback movie now that the filmmaker is forced to reckon with their flaws and channel their creativity into something that remains marketable and accessible to general audiences. In the past, talented Director's first big film following their first real "failure" has produced:

you mean Nolan will be forced to make something dumbed down to appeal to the masses because you decided Tenet is a failure because of its US box office in a pandemic? 

You’ve decided for all those millions of people that want to see it but are shielding what he should do next? 

Be forced to change his ways when the rest of the world is coming out in big numbers during the pandemic they’ve dealt with better than America? 

It’s a good job you weren’t around when Vertigo, Blade Runner and the like first came out! Lol. 

What a movie does or doesn’t make in the USA isn’t the final word on the quality of a film. 

Yet I know you only wrote what you did to provoke, so the joke’s on me I guess! ;) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

To be fair, $30 to stream a movie at home is an outrageous price. 

I think it has more to do with that then demand for the movie itself. 

Someone like myself (single), who wanted to see it in theatres, is not going to pay $30 to watch it alone in my house, when seeing it in theatres would have cost me less than half that. 

Trolls 2 was $19.99 for a 48 hours rental and was (at least spinned has) a success story, this is a much much bigger affair and a multiple month rental for $30, that do not sound like it should outrageous for the target audience (family), if it does that would be a big change in mentality during that time frame, a possible one but surprising.

Single viewer sales will be a niche affair for sure at that price, but they are probably a niche affair for a theatrical release for a movie like that as well.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Some I think are good example (Tarantino for example had a not messing around with Nazis and Brad Pitt comeback), but some of them like those considering that Seven was is second feature film and that Social Network followed a giant success, critics/box office/Oscars (Curious Case of Benjamin button), I am not sure those are good example.

What was Cameron failure before True Lies ?

Ridley Scott had so many success and failure over time that it is just how it goes and not in a reactionary response to any "flaw" I think, it is not like he didn't had failure before GI Jane.

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

you mean Nolan will be forced to make something dumbed down to appeal to the masses because you decided Tenet is a failure because of its US box office in a pandemic? 

You’ve decided for all those millions of people that want to see it but are shielding what he should do next? 

Be forced to change his ways when the rest of the world is coming out in big numbers during the pandemic they’ve dealt with better than America? 

It’s a good job you weren’t around when Vertigo, Blade Runner and the like first came out! Lol. 

What a movie does or doesn’t make in the USA isn’t the final word on the quality of a film. 

Yet I know you only wrote what you did to provoke, so the joke’s on me I guess! ;) 

If making something understandable enough for mass consumption means "dumbing it down", sure. 

26 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I’d like to see him make a more quiet film like The Prestige again. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

If TENET had like a 11M true FSS, does that mean like a 50-60% drop next weekend from the 20.2 reported this weekend. I don’t know what this means for legs, this is uncharted territory.

A 50% from reporter drop would be a near 0% actual drop, I almost did not follow box office at all in months, but is there any indication that legs are particularly strong right now ? Daily drops and other movies do not seem to indicate that, I would expect really harsh "reported drop" even an excellent 30% drop in actual would mean a report 62% drop.

Considering Sunday was boosted by an holiday monday a good 40% drop would be reported has a 66% drop. (my BO calculation are all rusty, my general point is that this weekend numbers are extremely boosted by a very week longs Canada released, many days in the US, holiday weekend), and ridiculously called OW, the drop should be extra harsh even with a really good actual hold.

• Like 2

Just now, RealLyre said:

Just remembered that Wonder Woman 1984 is scheduled for Oct 2nd which is less than 4 weeks from now (for some reason I thought it was in November). So Tenet will have competition and might start losing screens then .

If WW84 stays where it is, after the Tenet (US) number. Opening so soon doesn’t really fit in with the level of marketing. Plus there’s been no announcement of a China date, I don’t think. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Trolls 2 was $19.99 for a 48 hours rental and was (at least spinned has) a success story, this is a much much bigger affair and a multiple month rental for $30, that do not sound like it should outrageous for the target audience (family), if it does that would be a big change in mentality during that time frame, a possible one but surprising.

Single viewer sales will be a niche affair for sure at that price, but they are probably a niche affair for a theatrical release for a movie like that as well.

There are a couple of differences here though.

Firstly, people are already paying $8.99/month for Disney+, making an additional $30 fee a hard pill for many to swallow.

Families are exactly the ones who are struggling most during this pandemic. 

I'm not sure I agree with the argument that they are going to find $30 a reasonable price, especially when Disney has already announced the film will be free come Dec 4th. 

The thing about streaming is, there are a million other options. Why not watch those options in the meantime and wait to watch Mulan for free? 

Finally, single viewers is not exactly a niche affair. 

I go see films with my other single friends in a group of 5-6 people depending who joins. The type of 4 quad Disney movies attract more than just a family audience, and that's what makes the difference between Dumbo numbers and Beauty and the Beast numbers. Families along would never have brought B&B to those heights. 

• Like 1

this weekend further prove the recovery of business including cinema depend on the containment of virus. Don't expect thing go back to their normalcy if the virus is still out there. 

Instead of calling Tenet is a flop, I would say USA is a flop that make every businesses within it a flop . 

Wake up! American! Do something

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

this weekend further prove the recovery of business including cinema depend on the containment of virus. Don't expect thing go back to their normalcy if the virus is still out there. 

Instead of calling Tenet is a flop, I would say USA is a flop that make every businesses within it a flop . 

Wake up! American! Do something

the virus will always be "out there"  People still die of the flu despite a vaccine. It's not like it will just vanish

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

If WW84 stays where it is, after the Tenet (US) number. Opening so soon doesn’t really fit in with the level of marketing. Plus there’s been no announcement of a China date, I don’t think. 

I’ve been thinking for a while that it was never actually going to open in October. It doesn’t fit with WB’s plan to give Tenet ample room for legs if they release their next big movie four weeks later, and opening it then would give it at most 2 weeks of play in CA/NY (if they even open anytime soon). I’d bet on them officially delaying it to Thanksgiving or Christmas in  a week or so, they’d probably have done it already but they won’t want to feed the narrative that the underwhelming Tenet OW numbers forced them to do it.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

It's excel, insisting he knows better than studios and filmmakers what they should/are gonna do is like his whole personality here. 

• Like 1