Eric Atreides

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

6 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

This.

WB have been talking about marathon, not sprint, and lack of competition would allow for plenty of screen space, but that all assumes a great reception, which it clearly isn't receiving. This was a massive miscalculation, though it seems to be mostly related to the product itself and not the conditions. The virus will, of course, be a big factor in limiting openings (hence a big start but weak legs would not be an option), but when The Eight Hundred will most likely end up making more in China than Tenet does worldwide, it does show that money CAN be made, with the right product.

Studios might decide to still stick with their superhero flicks, since they're likely to bring audiences out, but Tenet is overconfidence going wrong. Ouch.

Well you can't say that it's a massive miscalculation yet. It just came out this weekend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

WoM seems good enough for a 2x multi. And Gavin says early WoM for Mulan is mixed so I don't expect it to do big numbers.

Don't think too much about Mulan's reviews on Douban now, a lot of people are purposely giving half or one star. Mixed reviews means ppl who watched it gives it like 2 out of 5... half are from people with motives.

1) Liu Yifei is one of the leading actress in China, but has a lot of competitors; and fans of those other actresses tend to like to give bad reviews to films of other competing actresses

2) These people are obviously not fans because it hasnt released in China and they pirated the film; they never had the intention to support it. Pirates giving low scores is very normal, plus you dont have to watch the film to review it.

3) You have no idea how easy it is for HK boycotters to type Simplifed chinese (instead of traditional Chinese) to purposely pull the film down.

Honestly at this stage .. those who watched it there are pirates, how can their reviews be trusted? I watched the film in theater in Singapore, as a Chinese i think the WoM will be at least above average.

Back to Tenet... it was a great movie as well but I think it appeals more to Nolan fans instead of general audience. Much more so than Nolan's previous works.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 2

All I’m hearing from some is ...

“This movie isn’t like all the other Nolan films that moved me, so it doesn’t work”

”This film is confusing and people aren’t going to recommend it”

”I was disappointed and RT proves it”

The fact is it was always going to be polarising because it demands to be seen at least twice, dealing with concepts very difficult to process over 150 minutes. Yet let’s not pretend this isn’t by design. Nolan made exactly the movie he wanted and, having seen it multiple times, it works like precise clockwork once you’ve made the investment.  The film isn’t about to wait for you to catch up.  It demands you look closer. 

Where does it say every filmmaker has to tick every box their previous works have or it’s unsuccessful?  I absolutely adored how intricate and puzzle box like Tenet was. Does that mean I can criticise Dark Knight for not being confusing enough? 

The film achieves what it sets out to do in my opinion. Comparing it to his other films is utterly pointless.  Some of the greatest films of all time are/were polarising. That’s ok.  Nolan could make a conventional summer movie with his eyes closed. Instead he makes something completely original and challenging which is provoking all kinds of reactions - but RT’s score is all that matters?  Poisonous to even think and far too many place the quality of a movie on an average percentage on a website. It’s honestly embarrassing. 

Do I think plenty of people are going to not recommend it as it was just all too much for them? Sure. Is that a failure of the film? Absolutely not. 

It’s all subjective. There isn’t just one straight answer that a film can only be declared good if every mainstream moviegoer likes it. Or every critic. 

Nolan took his success and made a bonkers niche film for a very specific kind of audience, dressed up in the fireworks summer audiences automatically show up for.  A ton of the naysayers were never up for playing that game in the first place, they just didn’t know it before they bought a ticket!

All I say to those that didn’t like it is that’s fine and I respect your opinion. Just have a bit of respect for those of us that love it and stop using a percentage and Joe public for justifying why we’re wrong. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Julian1410 said:

What if Tenet is not going to do well not only because of the pandemic but also because of bad WOM. Will other movies than move even though a big factor of the bad box office will be that People do not like the movie

it’s a good question which I’m not sure can even be answered. 

America is in a very different place to most countries with the virus. I think there are plenty of moviegoers who would normally come out for Tenet that are just not going to show up due to COVID. 

Those desperate to see it were going to come out no matter what.  Whether its drops in the coming weeks will be to do with being front-loaded, fear of the public coming out, or confidence coming back - just so hard to say. We can’t really compare usual trends to anything this film may or may not do in the coming weeks.  Which is tough if you’re other studios looking on wondering whether to delay your film or not. 

• Like 1

Interesting, but Cineplex has increased capacity in their auditoriums wherever I look. Last week the 430-seat IMAX auditoriums would seat 35. Now they seat 40.

Regular theatres seated 25-30 depending on size. Now they're seating 45. 

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

“This movie isn’t like all the other Nolan films that moved me, so it doesn’t work”

The fact is it was always going to be polarising because it demands to be seen at least twice, dealing with concepts very difficult to process over 150 minutes. Yet let’s not pretend this isn’t by design. Nolan made exactly the movie he wanted and, having seen it multiple times, it works like precise clockwork once you’ve made the investment.  The film isn’t about to wait for you to catch up.  It demands you look closer. 

Where does it say every filmmaker has to tick every box their previous works have or it’s unsuccessful?  I absolutely adored how intricate and puzzle box like Tenet was. Does that mean I can criticise Dark Knight for not being confusing enough? 

The film achieves what it sets out to do in my opinion. Comparing it to his other films is utterly pointless.  Some of the greatest films of all time are/were polarising. That’s ok.  Nolan could make a conventional summer movie with his eyes closed. Instead he makes something completely original and challenging which is provoking all kinds of reactions - but RT’s score is all that matters?  Poisonous to even think and far too many place the quality of a movie on an average percentage on a website. It’s honestly embarrassing. 

Do I think plenty of people are going to not recommend it as it was just all too much for them? Sure. Is that a failure of the film? Absolutely not. 

It’s all subjective. There isn’t just one straight answer that a film can only be declared good if every mainstream moviegoer likes it. Or every critic. 

Nolan took his success and made a bonkers niche film for a very specific kind of audience, dressed up in the fireworks summer audiences automatically show up for.  A ton of the naysayers were never up for playing that game in the first place, they just didn’t know it before they bought a ticket!

All I say to those that didn’t like it is that’s fine and I respect your opinion. Just have a bit of respect for those of us that love it and stop using a percentage and Joe public for justifying why we’re wrong. 

People don't like being baited and switched;I have no issue with Nolan making a offbeat gonzo movie, (though from a business pointe of view I have problems with spending so much on a niche film) but I do have a problem with the "bait and switch" of selliing it as a big summer blockbuster.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

It's great that you loved it. I enjoyed it as well. But, as this is a box office site, it's perfectly reasonable that people are focusing on how it compares to his other films to get a sense of how it may perform. 

There's film is going to have challenges in building the word of mouth needed for a lengthy run. I don't think that's a controversial statement. 

Tenet also is in the unfortunate situation as acting as a test case for the entire industry, so trying to get a handle on its box office returns is needed to get a sense of what we may see in other big films that release in the current environment. 

33 minutes ago, dudalb said:

People don't like being baited and switched;I have no issue with Nolan making a offbeat gonzo movie, (though from a business pointe of view I have problems with spending so much on a niche film) but I do have a problem with the "bait and switch" of selliing it as a big summer blockbuster.

The trailers sold them a movie that was about time inversion. 
That’s what they’re getting. 

Some just aren’t prepared for what it asks of them. Not the movie’s fault.  It serves up exactly what the trailers promised, on steroids. 

29 minutes ago, vafrow said:

It's great that you loved it. I enjoyed it as well. But, as this is a box office site, it's perfectly reasonable that people are focusing on how it compares to his other films to get a sense of how it may perform. 

There's film is going to have challenges in building the word of mouth needed for a lengthy run. I don't think that's a controversial statement. 

Tenet also is in the unfortunate situation as acting as a test case for the entire industry, so trying to get a handle on its box office returns is needed to get a sense of what we may see in other big films that release in the current environment. 

I’m well aware of what site I’m on! I’ve been posting on it for decades ;) 
The discussion I enjoy, but you always get some that go too far with their “I’m right and you’re wrong, look at the RT score” which winds me and others up so much. Some so much that they don’t even bother posting anymore as it’s so toxic and pointless to even engage. 

I know it’s part of bait, but some do it with a sense of humour and others just drag a thread to its knees with such negativity.  When the mods are on song they boot them out for the deliberate baiting, but the Tenet talk has all got a bit unruly by some. 

Will be more interesting when we get the numbers. I’m just trying to fly the flag for those of us being totally ignored liking the movie, whilst others pretend it’s not liked and isn’t good. 

As for how it’s going to do long term...my expectation is it will open well but not hold like some expect as people are still so on the fence about going to theaters right now. 

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

What are you talking about?  The movie is exactly what the trailer sold it to be.  I definitely didn’t leave the theater feeling hoodwinked last night.  The trailers made it look like a complex inversion movie and that’s what we got.  

• Like 1

I think it would be very easy to think the movie is something different based on the trailer. It's focus on a secret agent type character being tested and recruited going up against some dangerous and strange technology isn't far from the James Bond formula. 

For those paying attention to who the director is, they probably know they're not getting that, but, most of the movie going audience doesn't focus on that. 

13 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I think it would be very easy to think the movie is something different based on the trailer. It's focus on a secret agent type character being tested and recruited going up against some dangerous and strange technology isn't far from the James Bond formula. 

For those paying attention to who the director is, they probably know they're not getting that, but, most of the movie going audience doesn't focus on that. 

The trailers do show backwards action. I don’t recall ever seeing that with James Bond. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The trailers do show backwards action. I don’t recall ever seeing that with James Bond. 

No, but plenty have featured things you don't expect to see. And that bar keeps moving, so for many, this may not have seemed so ridiculous. 

To someone not really paying close attention, that set piece in the trailer could easily be explained by some sort of supped up car or something of a similar nature.