Eric Atreides

TENET Weekend Thread | 20.2M opening with previews and Canada | RIP Movies 1888-2020

36 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

Keep in mind these are just guesses from using a few chains. These are not actuals from the studio, so actuals could be close or way off.

Isn't it also the case that we can't really use any of our former approaches with extrapolation at this point, as many of these MTC's rely on LA/NY, and that could be skewing things quite a bit?

• Like 1

Last time I posted on here was March 18th 😄

I'm interested to know the TENET numbers but I don't know how much we are going to learn from them.  Lots of markets aren't open,  people are still scared and in many cases rightly so..  

I'm glad they are giving it a try because I think someone has to give it a try but it's probably going to have to go to streaming soon unfortunately.  

Is there anyway we are going to find out the Mulan numbers? 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t have thought we’ll hear anything about Mulan unless it’s great news for Disney. Mind you, if they want to shout from the roof tops that they made X amount more than Warner Bros this weekend, then that wouldn’t surprise me either. I’m kind of done second guessing what Disney do these days. 

It’s unclear if enough theaters will be open for Warner Bros. to turn a profit on “Tenet,” which cost close to $200 million. However, the expectation is that the movie will gross north of $20 million in the U.S. in its inaugural weekend.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/box-office-tenet-crossing-100-million-1234760782/

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Tenet’s really tracking for a weak opening domestically. It’s going to be at a total of like 22m come Sunday. That’s quite weak since it’s counting Canada and weekly previews. 

well, it's all relative. We literally have no idea whether that's a good figure or not as it remains to be seen how many people are coming out to the cinema.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

The New Mutants is awesome. Hopefully it has good legs. Strong character development and a thriling final 30 minutes. Better than half the MCU output easily.

I mean, I can buy it being better my bottom 3: Far From Home, Civil War and The Dark World but that’s as far as it could go from looks.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I wouldn’t have thought we’ll hear anything about Mulan unless it’s great news for Disney. Mind you, if they want to shout from the roof tops that they made X amount more than Warner Bros this weekend, then that wouldn’t surprise me either. I’m kind of done second guessing what Disney do these days. 

Really cruious about the Mulan numers for the VOD sales.Big question is how many customers draw the line at paying 30 bucks for a streaming movie. I think there is a big psychological barrier here. I knoa the argument that 30 bucks might actually be less then it would cost to take a family of four to see the movie in theaters, but you still have that "No way I ma paying 30 bucks for a DTV movie" barrier to overcome.

59 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It’s already below industry tracking so it’s not a good figure 

What industry tracking has taken into effect the pandemic effect on on audience willing to go to theatres. There is no normality to this release, no precedent on what should be a good number. 

This is all reletive, you can see by other films performances how much better it has performed as to be expected but we don't know how flat or what sort of drops or even increases it will have with more people getting confident to leave their homes or if the pandemic goes worst in America then it may tank 

But I'm glad they took the risk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, zlazer said:

What industry tracking has taken into effect the pandemic effect on on audience willing to go to theatres. There is no normality to this release, no precedent on what should be a good number. 

This is all reletive, you can see by other films performances how much better it has performed as to be expected but we don't know how flat or what sort of drops or even increases it will have with more people getting confident to leave their homes or if the pandemic goes worst in America then it may tank 

But I'm glad they took the risk. 

It’s underwhelming in North America with no timetable for NA/LA openings. It’s already disappointed in China

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

We’ll wait for numbers tomorrow. 

Rest assured the sensible take will be that IF they’re on the low side it will be because theaters opened too soon, with the pandemic still raging in the states. 

The probable BOT take from the crazies will be it’s RT and Nolan’s fault. 

We’re in uncharted waters here guys. Comparing whatever we get tomorrow to anything else is utterly pointless. 

• Disbelief 1

Young men are generally the Nolan audience and they are on the Internet. I know the Internet is not the best indicator, but people seem pretty split on it. I'm curios about its legs...i don't think it will play in theaters for a long time. I expect harsh drops

• ...wtf 1

15 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

We’ll wait for numbers tomorrow. 

Rest assured the sensible take will be that IF they’re on the low side it will be because theaters opened too soon, with the pandemic still raging in the states. 

The probable BOT take from the crazies will be it’s RT and Nolan’s fault. 

We’re in uncharted waters here guys. Comparing whatever we get tomorrow to anything else is utterly pointless. 

It was too soon for American theaters to reopen and even sooner to have a big blockbuster. It took Europe 2 months to normalize a bit with tons of bombs in them until people were confortable to go.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1