Eric Atreides

The New Mutants (2020)

The New Mutants (2020)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

This was actually better than I thought it would be. Yes it was cheap and unambitious, but I liked the whole Nightmare on Elm Street 3 vibe to it. Also bonus points for having better LGBTQ representation in one movie than the whole of the MCU. Anna Taylor-Joy was the highlight but the rest of the cast did the best they could with underwritten roles. If this was the pilot for some Netflix show I’d probably watch more.

I did not like this movie, and I can see why it kept getting delayed. The film took forever to get going, and did do a good job (for a while) at keeping me watching the set up. But it kept setting up, and didn't have that big a delivery. 

It wasn't a super hero film, not really an origin story nor a hero vs villain to save the city kind of film. It wasn't a horror film, despite the set up steering in that direction, It was at best a teens learn to get along and deal with an oppressive teacher kind of teen appeal film. Did I ever really care what the main characters' power was? I don't even care to remember anyone's names. Of course she killer her whole tribe, and deserved to be there. She, like all mutants does grow up and learn to control it, and of course the others help her to do that before the staff slowly and safely let her. Is the second facility designed to weaponize them? will there be a sequel? again, who cares. 

After years on the shelf and speculation about when and/or how it would see the light of day, it’s a little disappointing to say that The New Mutants is just a mediocre film with some potentially interesting ideas but poor execution. The concept of exploring young mutants’ psychological issues and allowing them to build solid chemistry with each other has promise, but the final product feels like a rushed cut that only engages with its ideas on the surface level before getting to a generic effects-heavy third act that neither excites nor scares despite its apparent effort to do both. The film is at its best when it lets the title characters breathe and interact with one another. Maisie Williams and Anya Taylor-Joy have proven themselves as talented, charismatic actresses elsewhere, and they both give appealing performances here; Blu Hunt, who I had not seen in anything prior to this film, also gives a strong performance. However, the film does not devote as much time to their development as it could, and it proves difficult to care about their circumstances when it moves into a loud but boring third act that lacks tension and feels like it’s just racing to the finish. By the time the credits roll, there’s ultimately not much of substance to latch onto, which is a shame in the face of the cast’s best efforts to make these characters feel vivid and relatable. (I also get the sense, given the long production history, that executive meddling played a role in the underwhelming quality of the final product. Alas, even if there is a Boone cut, I doubt we’ll ever see it.) At the end of the day, like fellow troubled X-Men universe production Dark Phoenix, The New Mutants is neither good enough to stand fully on its own merits nor bad enough to be conducive to a fun hate-watching experience; rather, it’s just there as a film with potential that it never lives up to.

C

However... I smiled real wide at the Dani/Rahne romance.