Mulan (2020)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Great film. It’s a mix of Star Wars, LoTR and Wuxia; beautifully shot, action is phenomenal. Acting is decent and had a couple of teary moments. On very cool Easter egg towards the end for the Disney diehards as well. All in all one of the best live action remakes right up there with The Jungle Book and Aladdin for me personally. 

Either a A or A+ for me still making my mind up. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

This was one of my most anticipated movies of the year.... the trailers honestly looked both stunning and emotional, and whilst I enjoyed the movie, I'm a little let down.

The father was the best part - both his character and the acting. The main actress was OK; I was taken out of the movie because the child who plays her has an American accent, so do her parents, yet Mulan as she ages all of a sudden has a Chinese accent?? Very bizarre. The other characters are OK, they don't really get much to do.

The scenes are so rushed or glossed over. There is very little development/build up towards certain moments, so many scenes that are meant to be emotional don't have the impact it deserves. I wish we saw more of Mulan in the beginning - I don;'t feel like I really got to know who Mulan was. There needed to be more of her and her father. More of her and her friends. So many great scenes just rushed, gone too quickly. Glossed over. I wanted to feel something, but the scenes felt soo rushed.

The production design was beautiful though, like amazing, as in why did you spend so much money for just a one minute scene. Oscar worthy. The CGI was very bad at times though. Like the CGI was poor more often than not. 

Overall, they had some great ideas, I liked what they were going for/trying to do but I wish they refined the script a bit more. The running time should have been a bit longer. Less montages and more dialogue was needed, give more development to key scenes and even the relationships between the characters.

I think it was good, the first hour really flew by, I was really liking it. Then, as soon as Mulan becomes herself again it just kinda sucks? Her big reveal is botched, no one sees it, the CGI avalanche is horrendous, and then the writing just stumbles into oblivion. 

The actress was really good at looking pretty but not so much at selling her action scenes. It's like she's trying too hard to be gracious and elegant but that's not what good action is about. It needs kinetic energy. It was filmed well overall (no awful shaky cam, god I hate this thing), but the actress wasn't committed enough. I guess that's what happens when you cast a fashion model in an action role. All hail Donnie Yen though, he rocks here as usual.

I feel like this movie can't decide whether it wants to be a war drama or a fairy tale, and it just doesn't work because of that.

Great production design, not so great story.

6.5/10

Edited by Daxtreme
6.5 not 6

I quite liked this, and found it to be one of the better Disney live-action remakes. Unlike Jon Favreau's disappointing The Lion King from last year, Niki Caro's reworking of the original does a good job transporting the story to a real setting while giving it a fresh spin that allows for it to justify its existence. Really liked Liu Yifei as well, she handles Mulan's growth as a character and the action equally well. Speaking of the action, this fully delivers on that front with several spectacular sequences that would've been thrilling to behold on a big screen (everything on the tech side is perfect for that matter, making it all the more unfortunate that this ended up skipping theaters). Even those who don't care about Disney's current business model of remaking all of their animated classics into big-budget live-action spectacles are likely to be won over here. B+

• Like 1

Watched this 2 days ago. I hated literally everything but i especially hated the god-awful editing. Everything looked fake, unpolished and crammed together. Shots were not lining up and i think the director was just not able to handle action scenes. It looked like someone tried to badly imitate wuxia films. The main actress coundt act and the story changes were bullshit, im sorry, but they were bullshit from the start. MULAN DOESNT NEED SUPERPOWERS THE WHOLE POINT IN THE ORIGINAL WAS THAT SHE WAS AN ORDINARY GIRL WHO BECAME A GREAT FIGHTER OUT OF DETERMINATION AND NOT THE POWER OF BULLSHIT.

God im so salty. I didnt hate a movie so much since the AoT Live-Action-shitfest. Disney, stop with the Live-action remakes. Full stop.