grim22

Weekend thread - Sep 11 to 13 | Tenet and Broken Hearts Club grosses are shielded from everyone. Is this the end of box office reporting?

9 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Mon cume 20.2 (WB est)  

Tues-Th ~2-2.5M (keyser/Jat ests)  
Th cume ~22.5

Last FSS ~9.4M (holiday boosted Sun, otherwise high 8s)   

30 on Sun would be a 7.5 FSS, maybe ~15% drop post holiday adjustment.   

I expect Sun about 29, ~6.5FSS, ~26% drop post holiday adjustment

Around 65-70% of the market is now open, but nobody know if Nolan movies have been drawing proportionally box office gross from all these opened cinema or they skewed more LA/NY.   

RIP Box Office reporting?

https://deadline.com/2020/09/tenet-broken-hearts-gallery-warner-bros-sony-weekend-box-office-1234575805/

Comscore can’t speak to the press about this topic, but some rivals are considering exiting the box office share system if Warner Bros., and now Sony, continue with their game. Now, I don’t think it will come to that; sources say this box office shielding is temporary for another month or two, maybe until New York and LA open.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This would honestly be the most devastating thing ever for me. The only reason I got into movies in the first place was the box office and reading Gitesh Pandya's BOG updates every week. It was just as interesting reading how movies were doing as much as movies themselves, and gave me the avenue to actually get into films and even appreciate them. Taking it away is just as gut-wrenching as the streamers refusing to give out viewership data.

It doesn't even make sense from a business perspective. Wouldn't these studios want box office and viewership numbers published as a form of free publicity? Having daily reports on what Joker or Bad Boys 3 was doing helped keep it in the conversation and discussed. Movies like Parasite or Jojo Rabbit need box office reports so they can stay in the conversation and drive WOM in our corporate BS society. Wouldn't Netflix or Disney want to highlight how well Hamilton or Old Guard was doing every week to keep people talking about them or make them want to rewatch it again and again? Give them promos for their shiny and special streaming services? It's so stupid!

And I know the real reason is because these bigwigs don't wanna give creatives and filmmakers better residuals or deals. But that's also garbage on a stick. Chapek, Hastings, Bezos, Stankey, and Shell already have enough money to afford that huge yacht to fill all those smaller yachts. I think it's fair to give the hard-working directors and writers and producers who make your companies ultra-successful a bone when it comes to deals and let them know how they're doing. This is all just pure garbage, and it's pathetic that these rich asshole companies can just take away something people love like this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

WB played themselves here. They bet on having a respectable number through the 11 day total (probably a number starting with a three?) and now they're in a situation where the 2nd weekend drop is gonna be bad and the number is gonna be single digits for the 2nd weekend which the press will run wild with.

After that though, I see no point in hiding. The only card you have left to play after that is low 20-30% drops (if not smaller depending on reopenings) to basically say "Hey this thing will run for a decent while, maybe Tenet isn't the right movie but the market can show good legs"

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

15 minutes ago, MrPink said:

WB played themselves here. They bet on having a respectable number through the 11 day total (probably a number starting with a three?) and now they're in a situation where the 2nd weekend drop is gonna be bad and the number is gonna be single digits for the 2nd weekend which the press will run wild with.

After that though, I see no point in hiding. The only card you have left to play after that is low 20-30% drops (if not smaller depending on reopenings) to basically say "Hey this thing will run for a decent while, maybe Tenet isn't the right movie but the market can show good legs"

They’ve been talking up “the marathon” since the beginning, so yeah, maybe if it starts having 10-20% drops ever week they’ll start promoting that. 

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

They’ve been talking up “the marathon” since the beginning, so yeah, maybe if it starts having 10-20% drops ever week they’ll start promoting that. 

This is also partially why the lumped in number was so weird, because they said it wasn't about the opening (And tried to make it look as big as possible anyway). Because this weekend will make that narrative look worse even though the drop itself is kinda....fine, removing the element of how terrible last weekend was gross-wise.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

New Mutant is showing some staying power , 29% drop from Last week. 

Don't laugh, but b/c there's nothing coming out, we may end up heading out as a family next weekend.  The family has loved the movie outings we've taken (2 since Covid, and counting), and they'll watch anything:)...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Mulan is also bombing in China

Mulan and Tenet - big money losers 

Mulan is gonna be the far and away bigger financial bomb...it's already used its prime secondary revenue stream DOM, whereas Tenet still has somewhere to go to make more money DOM after theatrical...

Although the fact that Tenet will exceed Mulan's BO in China - there's peak 2020...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

“Temporary”. lmao

Yeah, let's wait until the Virus is under control for any sweeping judgements about how theaters are dead.

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Tele, you know the "Special Kind Of Payback" is an old Studio PR gimmick when a big film underperforms.

I can't see Tenat getting int o the black, numbers are not just there.

Edited by dudalb

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Not surprised on how Mulan is performing in China. I warned, even before the virus, the Chinese might be skeptical of a Western take on a classic and beloved Chinese epic. And there are many Chinese versions of the Mulan story .

• Like 1

We don’t want to release the numbers, because we think you’re going to write that it’s a flop.

By not releasing the numbers, people are writing that it’s probably a flop.

That is some circular bullshit and Classic Hollywood accounting. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, John Marston said:

China never really matters. Even if it grossed $100mn there, studio only get $21mn. And after cutting studio expenses, that's merely $19mn.

China only serve gross bragging rights 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

No reporting WB?  Or do they want to do it in weekly numbers for a bigger total?  Not surprised, last weeks numbers and headlines weren't that pretty.   They had to know this was a slippery slope.  Again someone had to take the risk but now with Wonder Woman moving, I realize they understand the US clearly needs more time.   I guess they are hoping to leg this out with "Tenet".  Good luck with that based on what we've seen.   Sorry WB and Nolan I tried to be optimistic but it's not looking good.  HBO Max probably needs to happen by about Thanksgiving to US Audiences.  

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Mulan is gonna be the far and away bigger financial bomb...it's already used its prime secondary revenue stream DOM, whereas Tenet still has somewhere to go to make more money DOM after theatrical...

Although the fact that Tenet will exceed Mulan's BO in China - there's peak 2020...

Disney should be kicking themselves for not releasing mulan in cinemas. Honestly pathetic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If this is the end of box office tracking, the part I'll miss most is using it to suss out movies that I may have otherwise skipped, but, it's box office performance, particularly if it shows good legs, makes me give it a second look. 

Critical response has its value, but, I put little trust in user reviews with how much they're often manipulated, but box office data is a raw metric that can often tell the audience response to a film better than anything else out there. 

On the flip side, it this data isn't going to be widely available, a site like this can probably provide a good sense of ticket tracking, and can probably help provide some indication.