grim22

Weekend thread - Sep 11 to 13 | Tenet and Broken Hearts Club grosses are shielded from everyone. Is this the end of box office reporting?

15 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

WB's big mistake was releasing a 210 million budgeted movie with just 65% of the theaters open...

Even worse, it's a new IP and it's a confusing movie even for Nolan's fanboys. I mean, did WB really think Tenet would bring audiences back to theater based on the name of the director? What were they thinking?

Tenet isn't the movie that you see a trailer and says "Hell fucking yeah, I need to see this! I'm excited".

I was actually more excited ( and I'm still excited ) to see Candyman. Hell, even Freaky managed to impress me with that trailer.

WB did the wrong move and released the wrong movie. That's all.

I don't think there is any other WB movie that both won't cause huge IP damage by bombing and will gross more than what Tenet grossed overseas (where it has been bringing back audiences to the cinemas). Wonder Woman 1984 would've probably done slightly better Tenet in current conditions and would've flopped and done huge damage to the DC brand (especially since they already had a flop earlier this year). GvK and Dune would've grossed less. I think Tenet was the best option. 

And I seriously doubt Candyman would've brought audiences back. Would be doing Unhinged numbers at this point.

Edited by lorddemaxus

It all seriousness, it will take more than one movie to normalize theaters. Whenever we finally get to a point where multiple new, high profile films open within a week or 2 of each other, and all of have marketing simultaneously going on, that will be the time. 

Unsure of exactly when it will happen but if somehow, we got Bond, Dune and Wonder Woman all in the Thanksgiving-Christmas time frame, I bet we'd be much very close to normal come 2021.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Do we have some horror movies coming out mid-Sept to mid-Oct?  With the canceling of a lot of holiday fun already, these might be the perfect antidote for some theaters...and they'd be dead by Nov, so drive ins would have the perfect "closing" movies in the NE/Midwest/North..

I think Come Play is the only horror movie opening in October now that Candyman moved to next year.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Only $1.13m for Broken Hearts Gallery, at 2,204 locations. 

America has killed theaters. Tremendous job by those involved. Release this on VOD now, Sony.

Spongebob with $200K from Canada this weekend and just shy of $4M after 5 weeks with zero promotion up here. 

Could this have gotten same per theater traction in the US? We would be looking at a $40M total if it did. Or, is Canada just showing stronger results in general right now. 

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Broken Hearts Gallery would've been a low single digits opener even in normal circumstances. The kind of movie that would've easily gone to Netflix if theaters weren't starved for new movies right now.

I don’t know. There was buzz about this months ago, but I just don’t think people even know about it.  It’s enough to try and prize them into cinemas as it is, so they’re not going to buy a ticket from a walk-up.