grim22

Weekend thread - Sep 11 to 13 | Tenet and Broken Hearts Club grosses are shielded from everyone. Is this the end of box office reporting?

5 hours ago, ScareLol said:

Burn baby burn

5 hours ago, vafrow said:

Spongebob with $200K from Canada this weekend and just shy of $4M after 5 weeks with zero promotion up here. 

Could this have gotten same per theater traction in the US? We would be looking at a $40M total if it did. Or, is Canada just showing stronger results in general right now. 

Canada' is showing stronger than usual. It's isually 8-10% of the domestic market, but it's at least 15 (20?%) right now. Just cause here, in most places, we're at a better spot with the virus. 

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

International should probably finish around 275m. There is still Japan, India, and South America remaining though I wouldn't count on those markets contributing more than some 30m or so.

Domestic really depends on NY/LA, but I'm thinking around 60m-ish.

That's fair, I was more low-balling it anyways. Idk the situation in the States, so i'm not sure if/when NY/LA will open. Overseas sounds fairly solid though. 

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

If the drops continue to hold great the next few weeks with so little set to come out (Death on the Nile is now the next major release now that Wonder Woman and Candyman moved) it won't be too bad. But with the numbers already so low it remains to be seen if theaters will start to just close again.

Greenland?

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Didn't expect

Honestly, maybe Freaky is the PERFECT movie to release in November. It's low-budget, so it's low-risk. But I also think (especially if it were a non-covid world) it has a lot of potential (say, normally I'd predict a run similar to HDD). 

Maybe studios should consider trying to move some of their smaller fare into 2020 theatrical releases, and trying to make something out of them. Get the blockbusters outta here. 

40 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

That assumes the property owner wants to negotiate rent.  Instead, he/she could just foreclose the property.  

It's a gamble to stay closed and a gamble to open.  By opening, you control your destiny - by staying closed, the property owner does.

And really, negotiation is now more possible being open.  The property owner sees box office, so he knows there's no blood from a stone, and yet he knows you're trying and he can still get a piece (and he can head to the county government and get some relief from his tax load on the property, since he can show the max the property is worth in Covid).  Staying closed, the property owner can both tell you that box office could be awesome (and you could pay him) if you opened and can also say "well if you can't ever pay me, why negotiate?"

So, I think the article writer misses a big factor on the fixed costs.  Opening strengthens the negotiating position of the theater, not weakens it.  And it strengthens the position of the owner of the property with the county governments.

EDIT TO ADD:  And the counties appreciate the opening to keep folks employed and paying taxes themselves...it's a circle of benefit vs a continued closure that's a circle of harm (I mean, how do closed eyesores that hold down a entertainment/shopping center do for the value of the whole center?)

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That assumes the property owner wants to negotiate rent.  Instead, he/she could just foreclose the property.  

It's a gamble to stay closed and a gamble to open.  By opening, you control your destiny - by staying closed, the property owner does.

And really, negotiation is now more possible being open.  The property owner sees box office, so he knows there's no blood from a stone, and yet he knows you're trying and he can still get a piece (and he can head to the county government and get some relief from his tax load on the property, since he can show the max the property is worth in Covid).  Staying closed, the property owner can both tell you that box office could be awesome (and you could pay him) if you opened and can also say "well if you can't ever pay me, why negotiate?"

So, I think the article writer misses a big factor on the fixed costs.  Opening strengthens the negotiating position of the theater, not weakens it.  And it strengthens the position of the owner of the property with the county governments.

EDIT TO ADD:  And the counties appreciate the opening to keep folks employed and paying taxes themselves...it's a circle of benefit vs a continued closure that's a circle of harm (I mean, how do closed eyesores that hold down a entertainment/shopping center do for the value of the whole center?)

It’s so easy to make posts on twitter when you don’t know the bottom line for companies.

I’m not going to argue if people should be sitting in a theatre or not cause that’s not my place to judge. I won’t be going to a theatre till mid 2021 at least but that’s my choice. 

What I will say, as a business owner myself, and even with the Canadian government supplementing rent (by 75%) for months now we’ve still lost thousands upon thousands of dollars. I’m not saying this for pity, I’m just saying this cause it’s easy to just sit and be judgemental when you don’t know a companies numbers or loses. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Canada' is showing stronger than usual. It's isually 8-10% of the domestic market, but it's at least 15 (20?%) right now. Just cause here, in most places, we're at a better spot with the virus. 

I'm just outside the GTA myself, and based on numbers we're seeing from Tenet, it doesn't feel like we're necessarily overperforming based on ticket sales at my local. 

I'm the only person I know who's stepped into a theatre (and did so in an empty showing for Tenet). 

I don't know where to find Canada specific numbers, but it would be interesting to see. I think it would give a fair bit of insight into Canada's risk tolerance around the virus compared to other countries. We're fairly close to Europe in our current case counts, but it feels like the European theatres are doing better. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I'm just outside the GTA myself, and based on numbers we're seeing from Tenet, it doesn't feel like we're necessarily overperforming based on ticket sales at my local. 

I'm the only person I know who's stepped into a theatre (and did so in an empty showing for Tenet). 

I don't know where to find Canada specific numbers, but it would be interesting to see. I think it would give a fair bit of insight into Canada's risk tolerance around the virus compared to other countries. We're fairly close to Europe in our current case counts, but it feels like the European theatres are doing better. 

i'm in Victoria, and we over-indexed for Tenet (almost considerably). It's been very consistent here. 

https://playbackonline.ca/tag/hot-sheet/

Here's the best source (that I have) for Canadian numbers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

This is utterly ridiculous. 

THIS. HAD. TO. HAPPEN. 

Do people think there is going to be some time where the world collectively goes "Ok, time to return to normal!".

This was just step 1 of the process of normalizing theaters. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I don't get WB blocking CS for people to see the numbers, and then revealing them officially as usual. CS numbers are used by the studios to plan how and where to release their film. Hiding that isn't serving anyone the purpose. What's the point of having the service with high subscription cost when you aren't getting the data which is needed.

Also, Either don't give number at all or give them properly. When they give 6.7mn weekend, is it hard to guess what were the dailies? 

15 hours ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

Could the theaters not have just told WB 'no, it's too dangerous'? (I'm asking that sincerely - I don't know how cinema contractual obligations work - but if they were willing participants in the great Tenet experiment then I'm not too sympathetic.)

• ...wtf 1

46 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't get WB blocking CS for people to see the numbers, and then revealing them officially as usual. CS numbers are used by the studios to plan how and where to release their film. Hiding that isn't serving anyone the purpose. What's the point of having the service with high subscription cost when you aren't getting the data which is needed.

Also, Either don't give number at all or give them properly. When they give 6.7mn weekend, is it hard to guess what were the dailies? 

It's all about fighting off bad press (or as much bad press) for as long as possible. 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's all about fighting off bad press (or as much bad press) for as long as possible. 

then why bothering releasing numbers at all? keep them blocked.

they aren't shielding the numbers, they are shielding the box office details from other studios.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

Man it's been forever since i've visited this site. In March me and my family almost got stuck in Tenerife when the borders were closed and we all probably had covid though it was luckily mild and we didn't get tested because my country wasn't testing non-serious cases back then. After that, time just hasn't been real. I have no idea what i've even been doing for the past 6 months. Yesterday i went to see Tenet because i wanted to support the local theater (i think the last movie i saw in theaters was Parasite back in the winter). There were about 20 other people at the showing and they all seemed to enjoy it and so did i. I hadn't realized how much i missed the theater experience and it makes me sad that this might be the new normal. Tenet is exactly the kind of movie that should be experienced on a big screen so it sucks that isn't doing that well, though probably the best it realistically could. I respect Nolan for wanting to retain the theater experience but at this point is pretty obvious that things aren't going back to normal anytime soon and i'm not sure should they before the vaccine.

Edited by bleachella
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1