Eric Duncan

Disney+ MCU: What If? | Season 2 launches early 2023

Oh man, I know that last week was special for a lot of reasons but

Spoiler

THIS IS SUCH A GOOD TIMELINE  ALL THE A HOLES ARE DEAD AND THE AVENGERS ARE GONNA BE STEVE AND CAROL 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

AND TCHALLA WHEN HE EMERGES TO DESTROY LOKI

AND YELENA WHEN SHE COMES TO AVENGE NAT

AND VAL WITH HER SCORE TO SETTLE. OMG AND JAAAANE THOR!!!!  

AND SAM CAUSE CAP NEEDS HIS HELP / WORLD ENDING / NO BETTER REASON TO GET BACK IN

GOD GOTTA LIVE RENT FREE IN MY MIND FOREVER  GIVE ME MORE NOOOOOW  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

So, reading all your posts, it seems like these get better after episode 1?  I admit, I tried to watch the Captain Carter one last night at 11pm and fell asleep halfway through b/c I was tired and totally not engaged...it just seemed like such a step down from the other 3 Marvel shows so far, especially for an opening episode...

But, if it gets better, I might go back and try to rewatch and then move on to episode 2...

On 8/25/2021 at 11:56 AM, eddyxx said:

For anyone familiar with the concept of back door pilots, does anyone feel like these episodes are quite similar to that?

Oh sure. It's clearly a R&D opportunity, testing fan waters to see which variants take off with fans.

(That and perhaps King Kevin and gang just wanted to indulge themselves while Disney is footing the bill. God bless them.)

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, reading all your posts, it seems like these get better after episode 1?  I admit, I tried to watch the Captain Carter one last night at 11pm and fell asleep halfway through b/c I was tired and totally not engaged...it just seemed like such a step down from the other 3 Marvel shows so far, especially for an opening episode...

But, if it gets better, I might go back and try to rewatch and then move on to episode 2...

The next two episodes benefit from not being condensed pseudo-remakes of MCU movies, with episode 3 having the sort of dark turns you'll never get in the proper MCU. Of the 3 aired so far (same ones shown to critics apparently) I would #2 is the best so far.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Their haven’t been any connection between episodes yet, so you could also just watch 2 and 3 and go back to 1 later.

• Like 2

So, I watched all 3 episodes (and fell asleep in the 3rd one, too...this show is not late night engaging viewing for me, even if it is short - I rewatched it the 2nd night to make sure I didn't miss anything:)...

I guess I feel like - if I didn't love the MCU, I wouldn't be watching these.  On their own, they just aren't that great, and for an animated show, it usually takes great animation/plot/characters to engage me in the show.

It's probably my least favorite MCU series so far on D+ - it just feels like "cheap filler" to keep subscribers happy.  Nothing wrong with subscriber filler, but nothing amazingly right, either...

It just makes you want them to hurry up, finish this, and bring on the next Live Action series release (unless they step up their animated game a lot)...

• Like 1

Spoiler

It’s such a shame the most interesting visuals in the MCU are tied to Dr. fucking strange. It’s just exhausting.

But not as exhausting as fridging women. It’s 2021, people. This practice is bullshit, it’s going to always be bullshit.

I think the greatest strength of this series is also its greatest weakness. A viewers engagement level will depend on their emotional attachment to the lead character that week. So there’s definitely going to be episode reactions all over the place. But I think it’s fun. Different strokes for different folks

• Like 1

Wow, what a crazy unbelievably good episode. the first one of these that created its own emotional investment and stakes vs cribbing off of your investment in main canon characters.    

I liked the previous eps too to be clear, but this is like 9.5/10 vs say 7/10, 8/10, 8/10.   

Also very interested in the serialized season plot, which I believe we’re starting to get our first hints toward.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The Strange ep was considerably the best so far. Maybe best Phase 4 thing yet. It all clicked narratively and I felt this was best use of the animation style 

I know you don’t like SC that much but I just got the 2 best phase 4 things yet 2 days apart this week. I guess 3rd for me would be some Wandavision ep. Probably 5 or 8.

Edited by Legion of the Ten Crores

Episode 4 is definitely the best one so far but I'll probably find myself rewatching Episode 3 for that sweet Phase 1 nostalgia and how much I love when events take place co-currently in media. Wanna see Marvel do that again especially with the Disney+ shows being a factor.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr