Eric Duncan

Disney+ MCU: Moon Knight

Ehhhh, the finale felt very rushed to me, but at the same time I feel like the entire thing would have been better as a movie rather than 6 episodes. Ethan Hawke felt utterly wasted, but Oscar Isaac was great.

For me:

1) WandaVision

2) Loki

3) Hawkeye

4) Moon Knight

5) FATWS (The Flagsmashers and the terrible acting from the Karli actress completely tanked this for me)

6) What If…? (Struggled through 7 or 8 episodes and the only one I liked was the Doctor Strange one. The Thor and zombie ones were atrocious)

Definitely the best finale out of all the shows so far. Slightly rushed but wrapped up in a satisfying manner.  Overall the best show yet, slightly ahead of WV for me just because the finale was so much better.

1. Moon Knight

2. WandaVision

3. Loki

4. Hawkeye/TFatWS

5, What If 

Don't watch the SW shows so don't know about them but to me, the major problem with these 6-episode Marvel shows is how decompressed the first 3 episodes tend to be in terms of story and plot reveals with not much happening, and then the last 3 episodes failing to properly serve the payoff despite trying hard.

MK, TF&WS, Loki, Hawkeye have all fallen prey to this same structural problem. Wandavision at least had the different decade in sitcoms gimmick per episode which managed to distract from this issue despite being elongated into 9 episodes. And it had the benefit of being the first of these shows where this structural flaw wasn't a repeating pattern yet.

I think there is sufficient content for 6 episodes (which is why when the show wraps, there is a lingering feeling of 'That was it?'). Is it a budgetary constraint that makes the build-up episodes so light on plot and weaker in general? Like I can't believe they wasted an entire episode of Moon Knight focusing on where Ammet's tomb was despite Harrow moving in and out of Cairo like he was picking up groceries and Khonshu's sky-related powers technically letting him see everything on the surface of the Earth (??) Lame ass show padding.

• Like 1

This started well but sputtered near the finish line. Hard to believe they had six episodes to work with and yet it still felt underdeveloped and rushed at the same time. Oscar Isaac was very good as always despite some of the clunky material. And how do you get an actor as magnetic as Ethan Hawke to play your villain and end up completely wasting him?

The first run of MCU shows has been disappointing overall IMO. WandaVision is still the best cause even though it wasn't great, it didn't feel like it was spinning its wheels most of the time, the homage/meta elements were fun, and it had Legend Hahn delightfully chewing on the scenery. This just felt the MCU putting out a Mr. Robot/The Mummy '99 hybrid that didn't live up to its full potential.

I don't know if it's because of budget reasons (you would think with all the money at their disposal, the effects would look sharper than they do - so much for the gap between movies and television closing in), Feige & Co. not being used to working within the television format and having to juggle so many projects at the same time when you add the movies in (remember when it was an easy joke that Ryan Murphy was the most overworked person in Hollywood pumping out content left and right? We owe him an apology), or something, but for the most part these shows have largely failed to truly justify their existence beyond being content designed to keep D+ at the top of the streaming tower.