Eric Atreides

The Peacemaker | HBO Max | Based on John Cena's character in The Suicide Squad

Lots of feelings about this. It's surely entertaining even when Gunn's humor is hit/miss which is more miss. More real comedic irreverence with superhero projects, please. He has a knack for empathy and emotion, really nails the self-discovery vibe through collective coming together. It might work less successfully here than Guardians or Suicide Squad (probably because the characters here aren't as colorful and complex?) but Cena is a lot of fun. The butterfly arc isn't all that riveting but it's kinda cool something so weird and sci-fi is the major plot of a DC show? The offhand Easter Eggs are more exciting and rewarding than blatant or shallow references

Still doesn't reach the heights of the movie or needed to be 8 hours. The visual aesthetic of show also declines when Gunn doesn't direct but the frantic handheld and blue tint sheen is more welcoming than usual gray drag MCU shows or the garish CW shows

• Disbelief 1

14 hours ago, cax16 said:

Can’t wait for the last two episodes but I’m also sad there’s only two more episodes lol. 

Yup, episode 6 was a hell of an episode and a very creepy way to leave things off. Love that all the different plots have pretty much come together already to give us better focus for the final 2 episodes. The entire 11th street kids crew has great chemistry, hopefully they all see the end of the season.

• Like 1

This is up there with Watchmen and Doom Patrol as top tier DC TV, it’s probably number one for me in terms of DC shows and it’s probably number one overall so far for all cbm shows, I think maybe only Daredevil would be close cause I loved that show also.  We’ll see how the finale is but it’s been consistently great imo. 

• Like 1

Watched the first 5 episodes of this as they came out and forgot about it so got to catch up for the finale. 

Me forgetting about it isn't a knock against the show, it is just more getting distracted with other shows, movies and video games. I've really enjoyed the humour more hit than miss for me and I feel the show is better than TSS (which I liked but didn't love) and the character chemistry has been fantastic, action is solid but aside from a couple of big moments rather muted although I don't mind that for what the show is about. 

Hopefully the last 3 episodes are great and it sets up a season 2 or another spinoff show from James Gunn

• Like 1

So I guess we can all agree that John Cena is the best WWE fighter turned actor? I don't think any of those other guys have even had the opportunity to show the kind of range Cena shows here. Always found him to be a funny actor (incredibly funny in Blockers and the only funny part of Trainwreck), but he's really good here.

• Like 1