antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version

4 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Maybe this is being made for Disney+? 

Interesting, that would make sense, in the past there was a lot of direct to video content made by that type of franchise, they could continue that tradition, with an upscale but a bit lesser than Theatrical concept worthy for them on D+.

Jenkins' involvement in this automatically makes this a much more interesting project than other unwanted Disney follow-ups like Alice Through the Looking Glass and Maleficent: Mistress of Evil ever were. At the very least it's sure to be a very pretty looking movie (and hopefully not as completely reliant on CGI as Favreau's was). Fingers crossed for another memorable Nicholas Britell score.

Just now, filmlover said:

Jenkins' involvement in this automatically makes this a much more interesting project than other unwanted Disney follow-ups like Alice Through the Looking Glass and Maleficent: Mistress of Evil ever were. At the very least it's sure to be a very pretty looking movie (and hopefully not as completely reliant on CGI as Favreau's was). Fingers crossed for another memorable Nicholas Britell score.

How much creative control is Disney going to allow him to have, though? 

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Depending of what you mean by that, would you not love if Jenkins goes purely 100% reliant on CGI a la Disney animation and closer to the first one in style ?

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

How much creative control is Disney going to allow him to have, though? 

It could be an interesting amount in a strict sandbox (like aesthetic choice)

18 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Depending of what you mean by that, would you not love if Jenkins goes purely 100% reliant on CGI a la Disney animation and closer to the first one in style ?

I meant that it would be nice if it the animals are CGI but the backgrounds are actually real this time and not 100% the work of computers like they were on Favreau's remake (even if they were based on real locations like Animal Kingdom at Disney World). Hence why the movie ended up with that funny Animated Feature nomination at the Golden Globes.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I meant that it would be nice if it the animals are CGI but the backgrounds are actually real this time and not 100% the work of computers like they were on Favreau's remake (even if they were based on real locations like Animal Kingdom at Disney World). Hence why the movie ended up with that funny Animated Feature nomination at the Golden Globes.

Ok yes now it make sense and I understand what you mean.

Barry Jenkins is a great Director but live action Lion King was the worst of the live action adaptations for me. Then again one of things I really disliked about it was how closely it followed the animated film, so if this has an original story maybe that will get me more interested but for now I’ll probably skip this in theatres unless it gets universal praise. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 2:49 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

Putting aside subjective opinions about the movie, it's a great little success story: made for almost nothing as a passion project (budget was about 1.5m, I think), it manages to get into festivals, catches peoples' eyes, gets distribution, has a solid run for an arthouse movie, and astonishingly manages to get award traction and win the big enchilada. It's a dream come true for every filmmaker-to-be out there.

only a stepping stone to LION KING 2 @Plain Old Tele

Edited by Blankments