antovolk

Mufasa: The Lion King | December 20, 2024 | Barry Jenkins | Prequel to Favreau's CGI Version

Rogen and Eichner are back.

Expect more shenanigans when Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner reunite as Pumbaa and Timon for Barry Jenkins’ “The Lion King” prequel “Mufasa: The Lion King.” Rogen tells me he usually does his voiceover work solo, but he and the “Bros” star have always recorded together. “It’s so rare that I actually get to be in the room with the person that I’m performing with,” he says. “And when it’s someone like Billy, who is just so funny and fun to perform with, we have a good dynamic that makes it a real pleasure.”

Rogen laughs when I ask if he’ll be showing off his musical chops for the movie: “I can say I don’t sing much.” He then jokes that he’s reached out to Beyoncé to “write me something.”

Julia Roberts on 'Ticket to Ride,' Wants to Be in Superhero Movie - Variety

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 7:04 AM, John Marston said:

nah. I think this will struggle to make half of the first. The first has been forgotten (the 1994 version is all anyone thinks about when they think of The Lion King) and it used up the novelty of nostalgia and photorealistic CGI animals 

I have noted that ; these live action remakes make a lot of money but then are pretty much forgotten while people still remember the originals.

8 hours ago, Bob Train said:

The writer of this movie also wrote Indiana Jones 4, POTC 5, and the 2019 TLK. Holy shit, what a terrible choice. I would be very surprised if this clears Lightyear DOM.

That's extremely Eeyore. A December release means it'll clean up. 

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

That's extremely Eeyore. A December release means it'll clean up. 

I believe Inside Out 2 will be a huge hit as that’s a movie people want to see. But there is no demand for a Lion King prequel from the guy who wrote the last POTC movie, so it is set for a Lightyear/Solo esque tumble.

Sonic will annihilate it as Video Game movie market is growing. Wouldn’t be surprised if Peele’s next movie also beats it DOM. 

Edited by Bob Train

On one hand, I think this is fundamentally a project that no one wants as while people like Mufasa and Scar - it’s not enough to drive traffic especially after a mediocre movie and can have a similar drop as Alice 2/The Marvels but Christmas should help it not completely fall off a cliff and with Disney, they’ll likely strongarm PLFs and IMAX to choose it over Sonic 3 and should on paper be something to skew more towards the GA as talking animals sell. At minimum, a similar drop to The Marvels (guessing around 250m WW) puts Mufasa at 385m which is just a few cents shy of Sonic 2’s gross. And who knows maybe Barry Jenkins made something special, think a trailer like “From Academy Award winner” is a good sell. Think a good comparison for this is how much Aquaman 2 drops. 

Shot in the dark number before a trailer: 45m/165m/450m

Edited by YM!

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Honestly. Especially if mystery WDAS 2024 does turn out to be Zootopia 2.

Wicked is almost complete as well with just 10 days of shooting which they could do and still get it released on time. 

I think December would be better anyway although if Universal want a head start, they could opt for November 15th,

Ughhhh that Christmas pimp spot is going to inevitably inflate this significantly more than what it was making in the original release. Honestly wanted this to be a historic failure for Disney as vengeance for ruining the animated classic and so they stop this crap. Unless it’s somehow a decent film, but I can’t imagine that. 

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ughhhh that Christmas pimp spot is going to inevitably inflate this significantly more than what it was making in the original release. Honestly wanted this to be a historic failure for Disney as vengeance for ruining the animated classic and so they stop this crap. Unless it’s somehow a decent film, but I can’t imagine that. 

Stop being anti Disney. 

• Haha 3