John Marston

most disappointing performances for a sequel?

The Alice sequel was considered a surefire bomb waiting to be released just like Lone Ranger and other ill advised disney tentpoles of the time. It was a sequel to a billion dollar hit sure, but by the time it got released no one expected it to do much better than it did.

A smaller scale dissapointment I can remember was White House Down. It had Tatum after his breakout year and Jamie Fox six months after Django and it got beaten by a similar much more low profile Gerard Butler movie. 

• Like 1

Surprised to see Prince Caspian hasn't been mentioned yet after two pages considering Narnia went from nearly $300M (and being a monster on DVD back in the heyday of the format) to less than half of that over the course of two movies and causing Disney to abandon what was supposed to be their answer to Harry Potter without any true pre-release negatives, but I guess in retrospect it made sense. There's really just one iconic book in the Narnia series and that told a complete story unlike the first Harry Potter (which immediately set up that there would be a big payoff to sticking with the franchise at the end), so there was really no urgency for audiences to come back for more. I doubt even sticking with the holidays (as opposed to moving to the summer) would've made a difference when it's obvious that too many people just didn't care in the first place.

Ted 2 bleeding almost 2/3 the audience just three years later despite the first movie earning good reviews and enjoying strong legs (finishing with nearly 4x its opening) was brutal to see but that likely was a combination of MacFarlane going from "The New King of Hollywood" to "Nobody Cares Anymore" after a couple of duds (tepidly-received Oscar hosting gig, vanity project A Million Ways to Die in the West) in between and a premise (Ted...fights for his legal rights?!) that came across as too stupid even for a sequel to a movie about a weed-smoking teddy bear. Pretty telling that MacFarlane has been stuck in Movie Jail ever since.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

I don't think there has ever been a shocking underperformance for a sequel that people didn't see coming. Prince Caspian is probably the closest but people knew the other books weren't as popular as TLTWaTW. Even Disney as they included Tilda Swinton's White Witch in a scene that wasn't in the book and played her up in the promos.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:43 PM, filmlover said:

Surprised to see Prince Caspian hasn't been mentioned yet after two pages considering Narnia went from nearly $300M (and being a monster on DVD back in the heyday of the format) to less than half of that over the course of two movies and causing Disney to abandon what was supposed to be their answer to Harry Potter without any true pre-release negatives, but I guess in retrospect it made sense. There's really just one iconic book in the Narnia series and that told a complete story unlike the first Harry Potter (which immediately set up that there would be a big payoff to sticking with the franchise at the end), so there was really no urgency for audiences to come back for more. I doubt even sticking with the holidays (as opposed to moving to the summer) would've made a difference when it's obvious that too many people just didn't care in the first place.

Ted 2 bleeding almost 2/3 the audience just three years later despite the first movie earning good reviews and enjoying strong legs (finishing with nearly 4x its opening) was brutal to see but that likely was a combination of MacFarlane going from "The New King of Hollywood" to "Nobody Cares Anymore" after a couple of duds (tepidly-received Oscar hosting gig, vanity project A Million Ways to Die in the West) in between and a premise (Ted...fights for his legal rights?!) that came across as too stupid even for a sequel to a movie about a weed-smoking teddy bear. Pretty telling that MacFarlane has been stuck in Movie Jail ever since.

I do think Price Caspian would have done a little better maybe $200mish. had it released sooner 2.5 years between movies about kids, for kids is a long time to wait between sequels. There there was a harry potter film releasing 1/ 1.5 years when they came out. but yeah there wasn't the same kind of progression as HP. because each Narnia story is like it's own isolated narrative that is completed by the end of the film. Whereas HP even though it wraps up a school year still wants you to wonder what happens next. I do agree LWW is more well known, but there are several other books just as highly regarded (Magician's Nephew, Dawn Treader (which fox kind of botched up) (the Horse and his boy). shame it wasn't completed. cause I love the series. (books) (movies were good, but could have been better). I wonder if the Netflix thing will ever take off.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Surprised no one mention My big fat greek wedding 2 , the 1st one was a miracle hit at 241m but dropped to 59m under bigger studio, in line with decline of comedy genre in cinema .

Not a surprise when everyone saw it coming for a long time. A sitcom sequel to the movie that brought back most of the cast bombed less than a year after the movie came out.

My Big Fat Greek Life - Wikipedia

For context of what the studio thought about them:

Amazing Spider man 1

Estimating profit break point : 560M ww (170dbo, 390m intl)

Greenlight expectation........: 600M ww (250m dbo, 410m intl)

Beginning of the year expect..: 660m ww (250/410)

studio tracked estimate.......: 740m WW (250/490)

Actual........................: 757.9m WW (262/496)

Amazing Spider man 2

Estimating profit break point : 616.7M ww (216.7dbo, 400m intl)

Greenlight expectation........: 850M ww (300/550)

Beginning of the year expect..: 865m ww (315/550)

Studio tracked estimate.......: 695m WW (190/505)

Actual........................: 709m WW (203/506)

On 4/21/2022 at 1:16 AM, dudalb said:

Amazing Spider Man 2 has to be in the conversation. That pretty much killled that version of Spidey.

Don't remember what the predictions were pre-release but that was kinda the crimes of Grindelwald of its time minus the Depp stuff. Sequel to a movie that made a lot of money on brand strength alone but landed with apathy even inside the fanbase. I remember it was endlessly mocked for the Electro look and the universe building stuff months before release.

fyi I think the movie is fine, certainly better than the dire AS1, but it just had tons of bad buzz before during and after it came out.

Godfather 2 has the most pathetic drop for a movie whose previous part had great reception and revenue all over. 

First part considered as cult classic was difficult to top but 2nd was no way lesser in any aspect to first part, yet dropped!

Not sure of Godfather 2 OS grosses....First one made 140M+ 2nd one just 47M....thats like a 2/3rd drop!