John Marston

most disappointing performances for a sequel?

On 7/7/2022 at 9:40 AM, John Rambo said:

Godfather 2 has the most pathetic drop for a movie whose previous part had great reception and revenue all over. 

First part considered as cult classic was difficult to top but 2nd was no way lesser in any aspect to first part, yet dropped!

Not sure of Godfather 2 OS grosses....First one made 140M+ 2nd one just 47M....thats like a 2/3rd drop!

That a misunderstanding of the pre-vhs era, virtually all sequels (that were not sitcom like) dropped a lot back then the question was by how much.

Even when VHS had started, Back to the future sequel dropped, Indiana Jones sequel dropped, Rocky 2, Empire strike back

You can argue that it dropped too much, but dropping was almost obligatory back ten.

4 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It's the Matrix Resurrections 

I feel with how well nostalgia title revival did (Jurassic, Top Gun, Creed etc...) with how much of a giant cultural 90s touchstone it is, Keanu recent success all around and buzz, the nice Christmas release date, Matrix Resurrections end this subject, it is the very clear answer. Specially that the incredible low movie quality was pushing the flop of an easy lay-up.

Spider man doing nearly 2 billions at the same time removing all notion that a giant franchise movie could not have done well and other possible *, Kings Man and West Side story did exactly the same domestic and even for those it was huge disappointment.

Prior to the 1970s inflation was virtually flat. During the 1970s inflation started to skyrocket (we are currently in the biggest inflation spike since 1978-'81) which helped sequels inflate their numbers which is why ROTJ and INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE grossed more domestically than ESB and TEMPLE OF DOOM despite selling less tickets.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:25 AM, Menor Reborn said:

Most of the answers in here are kinda weird and are putting mild disappointments or "great but not as great as they could have been" performances up there with genuine disasters. Frozen 2 really? Alice Through the Looking Glass has to be up here I suppose, though wasn't on the forums to know what the expectations were, but a sequel to a billion dollar movie doing only 300 mil has to be a disappointment. Lego Movie 2 also had a disastrous drop from the first. As far as answers on here already I do agree with BvS and War for Planet. 

On 10/10/2020 at 10:42 AM, John Marston said:

I will say 

Back to the Future 2 and 3 - both sequels are considered superior sequels and are well liked yet 2 had a massive drop from the first and 3 didn't even make 100m and make the top ten grossing movies of the year

Rambo 3 - dropped massively from Rambo 2 domestically. Like close to 80% in admissions. Rambo 2 sold about 42m tickets and 3 only sold about 13m. What happened?

Gremlins 2 - Gigantic drop from its predecessor. A flat out flop even. Sold about 9.8m tickets when the original did 45m! 

Scream 4- I thought it would make more opening weekend than what it made domestic total! 

Irony is that like Back to the Future 2, Gremlins 2 is conidered nowdays to be a much funnier and creative film, and is better liked then the first film, but it flopped at the time. Probably it was too off the wall and crazy for audiences expecting just anotther adventure with Gizmo.

On 11/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, Spidey Freak said:

I don't think there has ever been a shocking underperformance for a sequel that people didn't see coming. Prince Caspian is probably the closest but people knew the other books weren't as popular as TLTWaTW. Even Disney as they included Tilda Swinton's White Witch in a scene that wasn't in the book and played her up in the promos.

Only reason Dawn Treader got made after the failure of Caspian was the head of  Walden films took the film to Fox after Disney said no and ended up basicallly funding the film himself with Fox just releasing it. I have read this was for relifious reasond, beleive it or not.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:54 AM, Joel M said:

Don't remember what the predictions were pre-release but that was kinda the crimes of Grindelwald of its time minus the Depp stuff. Sequel to a movie that made a lot of money on brand strength alone but landed with apathy even inside the fanbase. I remember it was endlessly mocked for the Electro look and the universe building stuff months before release.

fyi I think the movie is fine, certainly better than the dire AS1, but it just had tons of bad buzz before during and after it came out.

AS2 was better then AS1, but that was not a high bar to cross.

I think it was a BvS/JL situation...the first one was widely disliked and poisoined the well for the sequel;the sequel had to get a really, really good reception to overcome that...and it did not.

It made what normally would have been considered a decent profit for SONY< but way way below what they expected from a Spiderman film. With SPidey, decent profit was not nearly good enough.  SO seeing how well Marvel was doing with films based on charecters who were not nearly as popular as Spidey, going back to square one and making a deal with Marvel to co produce was a no brainer.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:49 PM, jedijake said:

Alice Looking Through the Looking Glass

I mean, the TOTAL gross wasn't even 70% of the first one's OW !!!

Maybe in strict numbers but how can you call that the biggest dissapointment when pretty much everyone expected it drop massively or outright flop at least a year or more before release. Depp and Burton in the 6 years between the 2 Alice movies went from biggest names in Hollywood to boxoffice poison.

Prince Caspian is more like it. People expected that to be one of the big movies of that summer right up to the last minute.

For me personally it is Independence Day 2.  I saw it in theaters and loved it.  I was really excited for the teased third one only for it to flop hard.  I saw it on 3rd or 4th weekend, so I knew it already flopped, and it still hurt.

Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I am going to say Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2. The movie had the biggest opening weekend at the time and had $43 million MIDNIGHT previews (forget about the 3pm ones we have today). The film got a 96% on RT and had great WOM. It was THE event a generation had been waiting for. But it seems like everyone who ever wanted to see it did so in the first weekend only. The movie was tailor made for repeat viewings but dropped an inexcusable 72% in its second weekend. And it ended up with a 2.25x multiplier, far below the others. Still, to this day, the movie is loved and is seen as one of the best finales of a major series. It should easily have crossed $400 million domestic, probably closer to $450 million.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, jedijake said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I am going to say Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2. The movie had the biggest opening weekend at the time and had $43 million MIDNIGHT previews (forget about the 3pm ones we have today). The film got a 96% on RT and had great WOM. It was THE event a generation had been waiting for. But it seems like everyone who ever wanted to see it did so in the first weekend only. The movie was tailor made for repeat viewings but dropped an inexcusable 72% in its second weekend. And it ended up with a 2.25x multiplier, far below the others. Still, to this day, the movie is loved and is seen as one of the best finales of a major series. It should easily have crossed $400 million domestic, probably closer to $450 million.

I am not a Potterhead, but I know many of them.  They were too busy crying to see it in theaters again, and they all knew they were going to buy it on home media later.

18 hours ago, Human said:

I am not a Potterhead, but I know many of them.  They were too busy crying to see it in theaters again, and they all knew they were going to buy it on home media later.

Well, the latter is the case with all movies. That doesn't explain it.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:22 AM, jedijake said:

Harry Potter had become very frontloaded and fan-driven since Order of the Phoenix. Its multiplier was expected by most on here. Also it was the only Potter film to cross a billion dollars when it was released and it ended up with well over 1.3 Billion Worldwide. 

Oof, it annoys me to see Empire Strikes Back mentioned so much even if it's in a defensive context. That movie OVER-performed and became the second highest all-time grosser.

A two-thirds hold for a sequel to an uber-blockbuster would be a fair hold today let alone in 1980. It blew away all expectations.

On 6/18/2023 at 1:22 PM, jedijake said:

Speaking as an outsider who's never seen it, my impression was that movie was almost literally just the second half of Deathly Hallows and could barely be considered a complete film in its own right. Maybe that isn't totally accurate, but the ultra-frontloadedness would seem to jive with the idea that it was more like a TV-style series finale "event" than it was a typical film release.

On 6/18/2023 at 3:22 PM, jedijake said:

Maybe it’s just the fact that I didn’t like the Fantastic Beasts movies, but I think all the David Yates HP movies have aged pretty poorly compared to the earlier entries that feel like total classics.

• Like 1