TMP

Napoleon | Sony/Apple | November 22, 2023 | Joaquin Phoenix is Napoleon | Ridley Scott

On 11/17/2023 at 12:31 AM, TalismanRing said:

Phoenix/Scott bring out a refreshingly comic side to Napoleon

Is this something we were truly missing and wanting?

It worked for Woody Allen!

(Love & Death is my favorite of his early straight comedy films)

On 11/15/2023 at 6:55 PM, Firepower said:

I don't know, if Napoleon flops, he's gonna have 5 bombs in a row, 99% of Hollywood directors wouldn't survive this and yet he'll probably gonna get another 100 mln+ budget for his western he's going to shoot in 4-5 months, I'm not sure he even follows if his new movie flopped at this point, he doesn't care, they'll give him money anyway because they always do.

Does Hollywood view House of Gucci as a bomb or a hit? It did much better than other films aimed at older prestige/drama audiences during that pandemic period and it's still the third(?) highest grossing drama post-pandemic after Elvis and Oppenheimer. This may somewhat oversell it but it's really unclear to me if Gucci balanced out Last Duel or was treated as another bomb.

On 11/19/2023 at 7:20 AM, el sid said:

Does this film get a decent release in China and are there chances that this film will do well there? I have the feeling it would be needed.

Many of us expect this movie because of this

https://Twitter.com/zoerosebryant/status/1726319171477426247?s=46&t=fxrFMKKLkLqQnuKJcKx65w

we hope it could be a equivalent of Mr. Xi’s story. We’ve seen too many propaganda films  in the past few years. So FUCK those great leaders. 

• Astonished 1

so domestically, this probably taps out in the 60s range?

60s seems to be roughly the high range where the "adult" drama films have been pegged post pandemic:

Ticket To Paradise- 68.2m (comedy, though)

Flower Moon- 64.5m

Man Called Otto- 64.2m

Dog- 61.7m

This will do more than Air (51m)

the big exception was like Elvis with 151m and Crawdads with 90m.

(Excluding the platforms like Tar, etc)