TMP

Napoleon | Sony/Apple | November 22, 2023 | Joaquin Phoenix is Napoleon | Ridley Scott

14 minutes ago, Bigausorus said:

Do you think the film can perform well at the BO ? 

It has a good release date, almost no competition, but no idea if this type of movie can work.

I do. I know we have seen these recent Historical epics perform poorly post pandemic. But this is BY FAR the most broadly appealing. Everyone knows who Napoleon is.

The Last Duel's subject matter was way too touchy and the movie was very much a perspective drama, with 1 awesome combat scene. Napoleon will have massive setpieces throughout. The Green Knight was too indie. The Northman was too "weird". I do think Napoleon will have some offputting or divisive content (his relationship to his wife comes to mind, and that seems to be a major part of the movie). But it's still easily the most broadly appealing

I also think this has massive international appeal, particularly Europe

It just needs to be good. And if it is, I think it can make at least $200m WW. And that would be fine for Sony at least. Similar situation as KotFM

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 2

On 10/14/2023 at 3:54 PM, Maggie said:

If this one is good too, this year might be one of the most competitive years at the Oscars. Rooting for it

I think the project is good, not sure if the theatrical cut tho 

Ridley is pushing the 4-hour cut a little too hard considering the smaller theatrical version isn´t even out yet. Not only makes the smaller version feels irrelevant which is bad promotion, but also can make a case that the important movie is the apple TV cut. 

We´ve seen Ridley movies getting bad reviews in theaters only for a way longer director´s cut fix it later, i think it might be the case here 

Edited by ThomasNicole