CAYOM Year 8 Discussion Thread

Hi @El Squibbonator, happy to see a new player join CAYOM. I would recommend that you not use real-life major distributors or production companies for your films like Paramount Pictures or Warner Animation Group. Other players typically create their own studios to distribute and produce CAYOM films (e.g. Numerator Pictures, Blankments Productions, etc.).

• Like 2

I'll change it for The Insect God, but in the case of Frankenstein Jr. I felt like I had to make it a Warner movie because in real life, Hanna-Barbera is more or less joined at the hip to Warner Bros. There's already a The Wild Thornberrys movie on the list that has Paramount listed as its distributor, since The Wild Thornberrys is owned by Nickelodeon (both Nickelodeon and Paramount Pictures are subsidiaries of Viacom). So there is precedence. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

3 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

I'll change it for The Insect God, but in the case of Frankenstein Jr. I felt like I had to make it a Warner movie because in real life, Hanna-Barbera is more or less joined at the hip to Warner Bros. There's already a The Wild Thornberrys movie on the list that has Paramount listed as its distributor, since The Wild Thornberrys is owned by Nickelodeon (both Nickelodeon and Paramount Pictures are subsidiaries of Viacom). So there is precedence. 

There really isn't a precedent. The Wild Thornberrys is an anomaly, and it should probably be changed by the writer of the film @YourMother the Edgelord since Paramount Pictures as a studio does not exist within the CAYOM universe.

Hanna-Barbera may be owned by Warner Bros. in real life, but in CAYOM you might as well classify it as an independent production company that gets contracted to work on films distributed by your studio, since Warner Bros. doesn't actually distribute movies in CAYOM. Any other examples you would find are purely anomalies, simple as that, nearly all CAYOM movies are listed as being produced and distributed by the players' own studio.

• Like 3

Just now, Alpha said:

There really isn't a precedent. The Wild Thornberrys is an anomaly, and it should probably be changed by the writer of the film @YourMother the Edgelord since Paramount Pictures as a studio does not exist within the CAYOM universe.

Hanna-Barbera may be owned by Warner Bros. in real life, but in CAYOM you might as well classify it as an independent production company that gets contracted to work on films distributed by your studio, since Warner Bros. doesn't actually distribute movies in CAYOM. Any other examples you would find are purely anomalies, simple as that, nearly all CAYOM movies are listed as being produced and distributed by the players' own studio.

I just changed the Paramount thing. That one is my fault, as I thought subsidiaries were okay, and I have fixed the issue. Sorry.

We’re about ten days before Y8 is scheduled to open. However, due to the amount of films missing, it’s likely we need to schedule a deadline extension. 

I have some potential dates that we could choose:

Monday, March 15th

Monday, March 22nd

Monday, March 29th

Monday, April 5th

Also here is a list of dates that need films:

1/12/Y8 - MLK weekend - 1 film needed (Atlantis: The Lost Empire opens)

2/16/Y8 - President’s Day weekend - 2 films needed (Pokémon: The Case of The Orange Outrage is scheduled)

3/29/Y8 - Easter weekend - 1 film needed (The Wild Thornberrys opens)

5/3/Y8 - 1 film needed (Mass Effect: Revelation is scheduled)

5/10/Y8 - 1 film needed (Sisters of Jump Street is scheduled)

5/24/Y8 - 2 films needed

5/31/Y8 - 1 film needed (Meeka is scheduled)

6/7/Y8 - 1 film needed

6/14/Y8 - 1 film needed (Untitled Rian Johnson Sci-fi is scheduled)

6/28/Y8 - 1 film needed (Beastars is scheduled)

7/12/Y8 - 1 film needed (Ms. Marvel is scheduled)

7/26/Y8 - 1 film needed (Attack on Titan: The Wings of Freedom is scheduled)

8/16/Y8 - 1 film needed (Red Dead Redemption Part 1 is scheduled)

8/30/Y8 - Labor Day weekend - 2 films needed 

9/6/Y8 - (Fullmetal Alchemist opens and Naughty is scheduled)

10/4/Y8 - 1 film needed (Olive 2 is scheduled)

11/1/Y8 - 1 film needed (Everything We Miss is scheduled for limited release, Returning From Hell opens in limited release)

11/8/Y8 - Avatar: The Last Airbender is scheduled 

11/27/Y8 - 1 film needed - (The Castaways and Everything We Miss are scheduled)

12/25/Y8 - 1 film needed - (The Orphan Master’s Son and The Queen Who Never Was are scheduled)

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

We’re about ten days before Y8 is scheduled to open. However, due to the amount of films missing, it’s likely we need to schedule a deadline extension. 

I have some potential dates that we could choose:

Monday, March 15th

Monday, March 22nd

Monday, March 29th

Monday, April 5th

Also here is a list of dates that need films:

1/12/Y8 - MLK weekend - 1 film needed (Atlantis: The Lost Empire opens)

2/16/Y8 - President’s Day weekend - 2 films needed (Pokémon: The Case of The Orange Outrage is scheduled)

3/29/Y8 - Easter weekend - 1 film needed (The Wild Thornberrys opens)

5/3/Y8 - 1 film needed (Mass Effect: Revelation is scheduled)

5/10/Y8 - 1 film needed (Sisters of Jump Street is scheduled)

5/24/Y8 - 2 films needed

5/31/Y8 - 1 film needed (Meeka is scheduled)

6/7/Y8 - 1 film needed

6/14/Y8 - 1 film needed (Untitled Rian Johnson Sci-fi is scheduled)

6/28/Y8 - 1 film needed (Beastars is scheduled)

7/12/Y8 - 1 film needed (Ms. Marvel is scheduled)

7/26/Y8 - 1 film needed (Attack on Titan: The Wings of Freedom is scheduled)

8/9/Y8 - 1 film needed (Folklore: A Swift Experience and Untitled Speed Revamp are scheduled)

8/16/Y8 - 1 film needed (Red Dead Redemption Part 1 is scheduled)

8/30/Y8 - Labor Day weekend - 2 films needed (Penpal is scheduled)

9/6/Y8 - 1 film needed - (Fullmetal Alchemist and Larrikins are scheduled)

10/4/Y8 - 1 film needed (Olive 2 and Abomination are scheduled)

11/1/Y8 - 1 film needed (Everything We Miss is scheduled for limited release, Returning From Hell opens in limited release)

11/8/Y8 - Avatar: The Last Airbender is scheduled 

11/27/Y8 - 1 film needed - (The Castaways and Everything We Miss are scheduled)

12/25/Y8 - 1 film needed - (The Orphan Master’s Son and The Queen Who Never Was are scheduled)

Well, considering most people are busy with irl stuff and/or watching 2020 films for the top 25 or the Boffies, you may not see much stuff being put out until after the Boffies are done. We probably should get closer to March to assess the situation, but I think some people may actually want to take until April.

Also, Penpal has been moved to Y9, according to studio plans.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

This is going to sound douche-y, but I would personally want the push-back date to be March 15th, March 22nd, or March 29th if there is to be any push-back date at all. My perspective is that passion for the game slows down if it stays within given year for too long of a time. The calendar posted above states that the schedule only needs 23 more films to be posted, so I don't believe that the deadline woulhave to extend past March. That's the only thing I ask from the perspective of a diligent film-poster is that the push-back date does not touch April.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Knock It Off 1

@El Squibbonator Yourmother's list is simply an indicator of dates that need another release to be placed on that date; when it says "1 film needed", it's saying 1 film other than Frankenstein Jr., and the other films (Speed and Folklore) are films previously planned for that date which may or may not fulfill that specific slot. In short, Frankenstein Jr. is still set for August 9th, but if you do make more films for this year, you can use that list to help you choose a date for films you might write!

Edited by SLAM!

10 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

So why are only two movies listed on August 9th, even though I've written up another one? 

Because the OP hasn't been updated yet. I'd suggest looking at the "last edited" insert at the bottom to see when it was last updated compared to when you posted your film.