TMP

Ambulance | April 8, 2022 | Universal | Michael Bay | Jake Gyllenhaal, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

22 minutes ago, karlleng said:

This was really fun, other than some jokes that didn't land for me and the attempts to make Yahya Abdul-Mateen II some sort of moral hero

references to Bay other movies in the beginning 🤔

Are the references as blatant as the Limp Bizkit references in The Fanatic?

• Astonished 1

The metacritic score is pretty bad (44) but the RT is pretty good (80% with 6.6 average), everyone agrees its too long

Im still interested

At it’s worst when it’s being sincere, at it’s best when it’s Jake Gyllenhaal turning it up to 11 and kicking you in the face. Nobody does practical effects like Bay. There's two VFX shots in the film that absolutely stand out because they're so out of place among the plethora of in camera footage. MORE HELICOPTERS IN MOVIES

I thought Bay's filmmaking took a hit with his initial switch to digital, felt like he was getting sloppy and careless. I don't know if I've succumbed to Stockholm syndrome but this feels like a step back in the right direction. It's simple, it's shallow, it's dumb, it's obnoxious, it's dynamic, it's longer than it needs to be, it's Bay. 

And I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

Apparently the budget for this is $40m?

I was think it was gonna be like $60m+, and just be screwed.

If that $40m budget is legit, I think this will do alright. Double digits OW Domestically would be fine

I've heard Bay's pretty good at coming in within/below budget, but I didn't think it'd be that low (I was thinking the $50-60 million range). That's probably a good thing then.

• Like 1

Very depressing how empty the IMAX showing was but god damn what a picture. Bay back in Tony Scott mode and this is one of the most revolutionary action films in a long time with all the insane drone work. Runs a bit too long (the final 10-15 mins dragged) but everything prior was an edge of your seat thrill ride. One of Jake Gylenhaal's best performances, I hope he becomes a Bay regular because he is so attuned to the same wavelength that Bay rides on.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Very depressing how empty the IMAX showing was but god damn what a picture. Bay back in Tony Scott mode and this is one of the most revolutionary action films in a long time with all the insane drone work. Runs a bit too long (the final 10-15 mins dragged) but everything prior was an edge of your seat thrill ride. One of Jake Gylenhaal's best performances, I hope he becomes a Bay regular because he is so attuned to the same wavelength that Bay rides on.

I’m kind of the opposite, I thought the start and end were great but it sagged way too long and was repetitive in the middle. 

Some of the Bay-isms are unintentionally funny/eye roll worthy though. There’s always a fruit and veg cart or flower truck to be knocked over. There’s Jake talking but the females arse is framed in focus. 

As a health professional, lots of it made me laugh. But it was silly entertainment. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJG said:

That 17-Day window ain't no joke. This shit is out to watch at home... right now.

My dad says thank you