Porthos

Ahsoka Live Action Series | Disney Plus | August 23

10 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Did they announce a release date for this at D23? If it was going to come out next May, wouldn't it make sense to say so?

No and no.

Every time...  EVERY TIME they announce a date and then push it back, folks get mad.  So why put something out?  Hell, we don't even have a Mando S3 date yet beyond "2023", and that's coming out before this!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No and no.

Every time...  EVERY TIME they announce a date and then push it back, folks get mad.  So why put something out?  Hell, we don't even have a Mando S3 date yet beyond "2023", and that's coming out before this!

Yeah I really doubt Disney has 2023 releases 100% nailed down. There are so many shows that are supposed to and could release next year.

Between SW and MCU live action, there is Mando, Ahsoka, Acolyte, Skeleton Crew, Secret Invasion, Echo, Loki, Ironheart, and Agatha. That’s 9 shows for 2 franchises, though Acolyte and Agatha are most likely for 2024. Still potentially 7 live action shows from SW and the MCU in 2023.

The last more specific date we heard for Mando was Feb 2023, and it should be the first show out of these. So 48 weeks for these 7 shows. Now they have to figure out how much overlaps they’re willing to have, how much breathing room they want/need between shows, and maybe take some non MCU/SW project release dates into consideration. Plus there’s always the potential of delays bc of VFX.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:

Yeah I really doubt Disney has 2023 releases 100% nailed down. There are so many shows that are supposed to and could release next year.

Between SW and MCU live action, there is Mando, Ahsoka, Acolyte, Skeleton Crew, Secret Invasion, Echo, Loki, Ironheart, and Agatha. That’s 9 shows for 2 franchises, though Acolyte and Agatha are most likely for 2024. Still potentially 7 live action shows from SW and the MCU in 2023.

The last more specific date we heard for Mando was Feb 2023, and it should be the first show out of these. So 48 weeks for these 7 shows. Now they have to figure out how much overlaps they’re willing to have, how much breathing room they want/need between shows, and maybe take some non MCU/SW project release dates into consideration. Plus there’s always the potential of delays bc of VFX.

And it's also not as if there haven't been a ton of schedule slips for the MCU when it comes to D+, so it's not just SW which is having a bit of a chaotic schedule when it comes to streaming.  Just I'm not sure if it is quite as noticeable, since there is more content on that side of the ledger.

• Like 3

I was just reminded a little while ago, that there is little new under the sun when it comes to making movies/shows:

Maybe people should have STFU when they kept saying Kathleen Kennedy should "Be More Like Lucas". :ph34r:

(yes, I was tempted to post this in the D23 thread)

((No, I wasn't particularly tempted to post this in any of the current SW movie threads))

====

More on this:

"the script" causing a film to be delayed in pre-production, you say. YiBe40t.png

(NOPE! Still not tempted to put it in the R1 or Taika threads!)

• Like 2

This is a very unpopular opinion, but I’m scared about Thrawn in this. Hoping they stay true to the character that has been built up in the canon books. Which doesn’t mean his character can’t have changed from the books, but I’m hoping he’s not just straight up EU Thrawn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

This is a very unpopular opinion, but I’m scared about Thrawn in this. Hoping they stay true to the character that has been built up in the canon books. Which doesn’t mean his character can’t have changed from the books, but I’m hoping he’s not just straight up EU Thrawn.

I agree, at least allude to his motivations even if they don't want to show stuff with the Grysk etc.

• Like 1

I do wonder how this show will play to people who don't know anything about Ahsoka as a character or what happened in Rebels/Clone Wars. If they can deliver a satisfying story that can be liked and understood by both fans and non-fans than they're golden.

1 hour ago, clockwork said:

I do wonder how this show will play to people who don't know anything about Ahsoka as a character or what happened in Rebels/Clone Wars. If they can deliver a satisfying story that can be liked and understood by both fans and non-fans than they're golden.

This can go either way.  On the one hand, the Ahsoka episodes of Mando/Fett have been some of the most popular shows of the Mandoverse so far, both in reactions and in ratings, so folks might just tune in to see more of her adventures and pick up on things as they're brought up.  On the other hand, there could be a FOMO from folks who haven't kept up with Rebels.

I do think they've managed to integrate the TCW Mando backstory relatively adroitly into the Mandoverse on D+, so might not be too much of a problem.

Personally, I'm expecting somewhere between Andor and The Book of Boba Fett numbers when it comes to viewership (quality is a diff topic).  Not as much as Mando Prime due to spinoff of a spinoff, but more than Andor due to pre-established fandom interest in the character and it being "new" episodes in the timeline as opposed to being "prior" episodes where there had been a lot of recent storytelling.

Yes, the Mandoverse is something of an interequel, but its still has a whiff of newness around it where the story is (mostly) open ended with the sequel trilogy still on the distant horizon.  Andor on the other hand was a prequel to a prequel and a spinoff to a spinoff and a show where the main character's fate was already established.  As such its viewing numbers were never a surprise to me.  Hell the one that was a surprise was The Book of Boba Fett.  And it's Fett's numbers which give me pause into just thinking this is gonna be around Andor plus or minus a bit.

• Like 2

The hype from the fanbase is pretty big. Trailer has done pretty well also. That said it's a weird situation where this has a lot of hooks for the hardcore fans but for general audiences it seems they're banking on people being intrigued by Ahsoka in Mando and by cool lightsaber fights. No idea how it'll play out but I do think initial viewership will be higher than Andor.

Personally I'm over the moon with this trailer. We're finally gonna see how the hook from Rebels resolves and the characters look great in live action.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 3

I think Shaak Ti looked better in live action than Ahsoka, but her skin is such a peculiar brownish-orange that it would be hard to translate.

Will I be watching? I didn't watch Rebels outside of the episodes where she fights Vader, so probably not. But it is nice to see her.

I love fandom some days. 😂

Mind, this isn't definitive at all, but it still made me laugh.  Hopefully we find out at the Ahsoka panel.  Otherwise how dare they put Thrawn out here without confirming it one way or the other.

9 hours ago, clockwork said:

5 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

The hype from the fanbase is pretty big. Trailer has done pretty well also. That said it's a weird situation where this has a lot of hooks for the hardcore fans but for general audiences it seems they're banking on people being intrigued by Ahsoka in Mando and by cool lightsaber fights. No idea how it'll play out but I do think initial viewership will be higher than Andor.

Personally I'm over the moon with this trailer. We're finally gonna see how the hook from Rebels resolves and the characters look great in live action.

You know, I've been checking out Twitter off and on today, and there have been more than a few reactions about the Ahsoka trailer from what I would consider "normie" accounts (or more accurately casual fans), so... I dunno.  Maybe I ought to reverse my priors and say plus or minus Book of Boba Fett as opposed to "between Andor and Fett".

I dunno.  Maybe the pull of Thrawn is just that strong.  Or Ahsoka really has entered casual fan consciousness.  Still don't think this will reach Mando levels, but the trailer is still the #1 trend on YT right now, so...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1