Porthos

Ahsoka Live Action Series | Disney Plus | August 23

RIP :(

Ray Stevenson, the Irish actor who starred in films like “Punisher: War Zone,” “King Arthur,” the “Thor” films and shows like HBO’s “Rome” and the upcoming “Ahsoka” series,” died on Sunday in Italy, Variety has confirmed with his publicist. He was 58.
https://variety.com/2023/film/people-news/ray-stevenson-dead-punisher-ahsoka-1235621641/

• Sad 7

3 hours ago, Marek the Jedi said:

RIP :(

Ray Stevenson, the Irish actor who starred in films like “Punisher: War Zone,” “King Arthur,” the “Thor” films and shows like HBO’s “Rome” and the upcoming “Ahsoka” series,” died on Sunday in Italy, Variety has confirmed with his publicist. He was 58.
https://variety.com/2023/film/people-news/ray-stevenson-dead-punisher-ahsoka-1235621641/

Didn't realize he was in it until I saw the trailer, and was super excited to see him. Rest in peace.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:23 AM, Porthos said:

Note to publicists and agents:

This is why you don't let your clients publicly campaign for a role through social media*. :lol:

*Unless, like, you're a  much high wattage name than the likes of Mena Massoud.

===

Also, FWIW, the Jordan Maison article says that Lars Mikkelsen might be back on the table.  

Fingers crossed he will be.

Remember Sean Young? She was an actress who got some traction in the early 80's..most famoulsy in "Blade Runner" but whose career never really took off after that. In 1990, she began a campaign to get the role of Catwoman in "Batman Returns" , inclusing showing up in costume on a couple of TV talk shows. It did not work, and wrecked whatever chance of a comeback she had.

If you have to actively campaign for a role, it's almost a sure sign you will not get it.

Honestly wasn't sure what to expect with this Ahsoka show but I'm digging what I've seen thus far. I really like the look of it, the lightsabers look solid and both Thrawn and Hera look really good. I'm thinking we got a hit on our hands folks, as long as it's better than Mandalorian season 3 I'm good.

I do wonder how this will play for someone who hasn't seen Clone Wars or Rebels, but at this point I think even really casual Stars Fans at least know of Ahsoka by now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, clockwork said:

I do wonder how this will play for someone who hasn't seen Clone Wars or Rebels, but at this point I think even really casual Stars Fans at least know of Ahsoka by now.

I've mentioned this in this thread before, I think (though I don't feel like checking), but one thing I was struck by on reaction vids from people who were clearly unfamiliar with Rebels (or TCW for that matter) was them oohing and ahhing at all of the lightsaber fights and Jedi/Fallen Jedi Doing Cool Shit in the Celebration Trailer.  Same goes for when people who had absolutely no idea who Ahsoka was getting wowed by her introduction in Mando.

I remember being surprised at how direct and upfront (and practically in media res) Ahsoka's first appearance was in The Mandalorian, but the more I think about it and the more I see newbies reactions to her introduction the more I think it was inspired.  Instead of finding her through Mando's eyes or a part of his progression, we're thrown head first into a Jedi Just Curb Stomping Fools' In Her Path.

I mean, for as much as Violence is Not the Jedi Way, fans sure do love seeing Jedi kicking ass and taking names.

So for her first introduction to be a showcase of just how competent she is?  Well, I think it went a long way to sell her to folks.  The rest of Rosario Dawson's performance in that episode (her quiet confidence and authority especially) just sealed it, IMO. She had an air of believable gravitas about her that could make one think, "Yeah, okay, I buy her as a long lost Jedi/Force User".

(I mean, I'm absolutely biased, which is why I went out of my way to see reaction vids)

((and, yes, I know many of them are, shall we say, playing to the crowd — still point stands, I think))

Aside from that, Mando handled Bo Katan's intro fairly well, and whatever problems there may or may not have been in Mando's S3 (which I won't get into here), clearly establishing the backstory of Mandalore for folks wasn't one of them. So I'm not really worried on that department.

In the end, the series will live or die on the strength of the actors selling their characters.  If they're believable not knowing all the ins and outs of their character backstories shouldn't matter all that much.  Especially for a long running series which practically lives on the "I'll tell you about that story another time" trope. 

Hell, I'm more worried about fans trying to pressure folks into Knowing Everything or new viewers worried about FOMO and stressing out that they might be missing something than the actual series itself not establishing things.

• Like 2

I wasn't sold on the show initially from the trailers and the Mandoverse era has been exceptionally hit or miss for me in terms of quality anyways but yeah, this newest trailer really sold me for the most part. Sabine looks fantastic, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is really capturing Vanessa Marshall's inflections, and the scope seems much bigger then prior shows. Really excited to see how Filoni plays solo in live action, I feel like he will do much better if he doesn't have Favreau around.

Ironically the only thing I'm still not entirely sold is Ahsoka herself. Dawson's performance never really resonated with me in her prior appearances and I'm hoping I'm wrong but the trailers seem to indicate more of the same in that regard which kind of sucks. Hoping she wins me over in the actual series but ehhhhh.

• Like 1

Translation: "Actually, in the "Star Wars" series, there is a character modeled after San from "Princess Mononoke". Her name is Ahsoka Tano. A legendary warrior who fights for the hope of the galaxy."

Season 4 What GIF by The Office

I did not know this but that is awesome!!!

• Astonished 1

Okay Star Wars people, it’s time for the old wiser me make peace with the young adult that despised the prequels. Today I love them, but I never watched Clone Wars and Rebels. 

In prep to Ahsoka, I want to marathon Clone Wars, going with the chronological order. What I’m still in doubt and the D+ official chronological order list doesn’t seem to answer is, should I start with the animated movie first and then go though the list? Or isn’t that correct?

@Darth Lehnsherr @Porthos @Inceptionzq 

49 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Okay Star Wars people, it’s time for the old wiser me make peace with the young adult that despised the prequels. Today I love them, but I never watched Clone Wars and Rebels. 

In prep to Ahsoka, I want to marathon Clone Wars, going with the chronological order. What I’m still in doubt and the D+ official chronological order list doesn’t seem to answer is, should I start with the animated movie first and then go though the list? Or isn’t that correct?

If going chronological, watch "Cat and Mouse" and "The Hidden Enemy" before the movie.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

This guide should answer all your questions

• Like 2