Porthos

SW: Rangers of the New Republic - Mandalorian spinoff (possibly) coming to Disney Plus

Eo6QoGQXYAc2Z1i?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Mandalorian spinoff, produced by Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni.  Xmas 2021 (?) or early 2022.

I'll pop in deets as I find them.

EDITED:::

https://www.starwars.com/news/future-lucasfilm-projects-revealed

Rangers of the New Republic

Set within the timeline of The Mandalorian, this new live-action series from executive producers Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni will intersect with future stories and culminate into a climactic story event.

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Inb4 Boba gets confirmed ;) 

It's funny though, given all of the talk about a Boba Fett show allegedly shooting.  It was probably just all gossiping from an initial thin report, but it would be funny if he showed up in this.

Wonder if this (and Ahsoka) are one-offs, or continuing series.  Missed it in the stream, but apparently there's gonna be some cross over with the Mando mothership show, which should be... interesting to see how they pull off, airing wise.

===

Really though, the BIG NEWS is four Volumes being able to be used by LFL.  That should make the production pipeline a lot easier, both on movies and TV.

44 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I think this and Ahsoka will be multi season, culminating in a single season crossover (somewhat like Netflix defenders). Have seen speculation that that will be a Thrawn showdown, but of course who really knows at this stage.

Ahsoka looks to be a "limited" series, according to the presser.

Lemme check to see if there is one for this as well...

Rangers of the New Republic

Set within the timeline of The Mandalorian, this new live-action series from executive producers Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni will intersect with future stories and culminate into a climactic story event.

Ahsoka

After making her long awaited live-action debut in The Mandalorian, Ahsoka Tano’s story, written by Dave Filoni, will continue in a limited series starring Rosario Dawson and executive produced by Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau.

Innnnnteresting.  Ahsoka is flat out mentioned as a limited series and this one very much isn't.  Then again, there is that bit about "culminating".

Part of it might be Rosario Dawson's schedule (she's a busy actress), but it does make one go "Hmmmmm".  For multiple reasons.

THAT IS NOT A "NO". :lol: 

(I will laugh and laugh if Filoni is forced in front of the camera at least once or twice)

((voice from the cockpit, but still unseen, is more in his comfort zone, given his previous voice work))

Alright, as I scan his TL, I am seeing a lot of posts which imply that he hasn't been cast in it yet.  Though he really could just be fucking with the fans right now (by being a giant tease).

So, maybe he hasn't been cast.  But he sure is down with the idea, I'll put it that way.

Edited by Porthos

https://collider.com/jon-favreau-rangers-of-the-new-republic-ahsoka-news/

As for Rangers of the New Republic, that one sounds like it will be spearheaded by Favreau. And what’s more, while both spinoffs are set in the general timeline of The Mandalorian, he let slip that it would be set “right after” the events of Return of the Jedi, a movie that holds a very special place in Favreau’s heart.

“Right after” is a bit broad. Maybe season 1 episode 1 will pick up like the night of the emperor’s death, but it will have to move up to the Mandalorian’s time eventually so it can contribute to the “climactic story event.”

51 minutes ago, Eric Gardner said:

46 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

“Right after” is a bit broad. Maybe season 1 episode 1 will pick up like the night of the emperor’s death, but it will have to move up to the Mandalorian’s time eventually so it can contribute to the “climactic story event.”

It's a complete misquote by Collider there.  I listened to the interview that Collider is sourcing and all it says is that the Mando shows broadly take place shortly after RotJ, which is in fact true.

Don't have time to pull up the GMA interview and transcribe it, but Collider widely misinterpeted what Favreau said.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's a complete misquote by Collider there.  I listened to the interview that Collider is sourcing and all it says is that the Mando shows broadly take place shortly after RotJ, which is in fact true.

Don't have time to pull up the GMA interview and transcribe it, but Collider widely misinterpeted what Favreau said.

Favreau:  Yes, well there's a lot of Star Wars content coming out as I think they announced ten projects — I think this would be eleven with the new Book of Boba Fett — but the ones I'm involved with are... I'm working with my partner Dave Filoni who is this fantastic producing partner/writer who I met when I did a voice on The Clone Wars, we met up at the Skywalker Ranch and we were working... we've been working together on this show [ed: unclear whether he's referring to Mando or Fett here in this context], he's doing Ahsoka, which he's writing right now.  And then we also have Rangers of the New Republic and all of them take place in the similar timeline here that is right after Return of the Jedi...

===

Now it is certainly possible that there is a long time of storytelling here.  There are some reasons to believe that Fett might make liberal use of flashbacks, for instance.  But the context of the quote to me reads: Hey, general audience that is watching this on GMA... My shows take place after RotJ and not during the OT or after the ST.

In short, I think Collider over-read what was said.

• Like 1

One last bit about this.  Have to remember this was aired live and probably around 4am or so Pacific Time.  Favs was, frankly, kinda rambling a bit at a few spots (see where he recognized that he was going off on a tangent about how he and Filoni first met and quickly got back on topic).

As such him being slightly loose and sloppy with descriptions is perhaps to be expected ("all of them take place right after RotJ" versus "all of them take place a few years after RotJ").

Again, RotNR might indeed take place over several years via flashbacks or other such things, but I wouldn't point to this interview as a reason why.

Being discussed in the Mando mothership thread, but for the record, folks don't have to worry about Gina Carano showing up anytime soon in this show:

Pretty much was inevitable.  And, as I said over there, now we might actually get some news about this show now that one of the potential leads is officially gone-ville.  Would not surprise me one iota if the show is being reworked with a different potential (co-)lead.  Archtype is broad enough that there's plenty of room for someone new.  If they don't just up and recast the character.

LFG!!!!!

*reads article*

The SCOOP

LRM‘s source over at Lucasfilm has told us that creatives are looking to bring in Hera Syndulla as the bridge to connect the show to The Mandalorian universe.  Production of Rangers is still a while away. However, the issue creatives are running into is finding time to introduce a new character and connect to the Mandoverse.  Hera was first introduced in the animated Star Wars Rebels show as a pilot of the Ghost and an early leader in the Rebellion. Her character has also been included with a brief mention in the movie Rogue One and in the video game campaign of Squadrons.

At the time of Return Of The Jedi Hera has achieved the rank of captain and has been a part of multiple iconic Star Wars battles. The inclusion of Hera Syndulla in Rangers of the New Republicreduces the time for a backstory and allows the show to focus on newer characters.

What do you think, would it be a good idea to bring Hera in to replace Cara Dune? Let us know in the comment section below. Hera is a 100% fan favorite character from Rebels. Therefore it makes sense if Hera, and her Son, come into the live action shows. 

As with all early information, things can change. However bear in mind LRM‘s source has always come through in the past. It seems a good bet Lucasfilm will be casting for a live-action Hera in the not too distant future.

Much much more equivocal.  But, hey, I will take Hera Syndulla any day of the week!

(BTW, she's a general by the time of RotJ, you filthy casual site. :sadno:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

6 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Talk about a major upgrade if that happens!

Though like other rumours with Rebels characters not sure if they would use Vanessa Marshall since it's been years since she's done live action work.

Live-action[edit]

List of acting performances in film and television
Year Title Role Notes
1994 Law & Order Veronica Episode: "Blue Bamboo"
1999 City Guys Assistant Episode: "Movin' on Up"
2000 Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman Bloody Girl Direct-to-video
2001 Scrubs Becky Episode: "My Best Friend's Mistake"
2007 The Bold and the Beautiful Dispatcher 1 episode
2017 Jane the Virgin Latina Lover Narrator Episode: "Chapter Sixty-Five"

From Wikipedia.

If we don't count the narrator role, then her last verified on-screen role would be 2007. So probably not gonna cut it for The Mouse.

Mind, she has a voice acting resume longer than my arm (not an exaggeration, either), so she might not have felt the need to be in front of a camera.  But much like Ashley Eckstein, I don't think she'll be seriously in the running should this come to pass.

But, hey, could be wrong.  Given the depth and breadth of her voice acting career, I do think it is slightly, and I do emphasize slightly, more likely than Ashley Eckstein was.  Vanessa Marshall just has a much more in-depth career than Ashley Eckstein had.  At the same time, wouldn't exactly be running to Vegas to bet on Marshall landing the role.

If it were a cameo or one episode deal, that might be one thing.  But a cornerstone of a new series?  Yeah, skeptical.

Just could not keep your mouth shut, Gina. :sadno:

One line in passing from a Variety article isn't much to lose one's head over, but it ain't great, either.

Speaking of, probs should quote the relevant part [plus the link]:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1